Karl`s PC Help Forums

The worst political ads ever
scholar - 7-1-2010 at 06:36

I have been hearing a political ad on the radio, which is so bad that one of the radio hosts apologized for it. He explained that the station is obligated to allow the candidate to buy air time to say whatever he wishes.

The first ad claims that there is "a solid rumor" that candidate Xyz is a homosexual. It claims candidate Xyz has surrounded himself with homosexuals. (The sponsor of the ad is running against candidate Xyz.)

The second ad, which began running today, says that candidate Xyz did not take action in a certain instance against a pedophile, and claims that this makes him de facto a pedophile himself. (I wonder if the man understands what de facto means!)

Can you imagine hearing such garbage as political ads on the radio?:(:(:(

Daz - 7-1-2010 at 09:37

Unlikely to get away with such things here. At least I hope not anyway.

The MP for my City is gay, and TBF to him he's not a bad MP, and he came out of the whole expanses fiasco with a good deal of credit, unlike many others.

Nimuae - 7-1-2010 at 09:57

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
I have been hearing a political ad on the radio, which is so bad that one of the radio hosts apologized for it. He explained that the station is obligated to allow the candidate to buy air time to say whatever he wishes.

The first ad claims that there is "a solid rumor" that candidate Xyz is a homosexual. It claims candidate Xyz has surrounded himself with homosexuals. (The sponsor of the ad is running against candidate Xyz.)

The second ad, which began running today, says that candidate Xyz did not take action in a certain instance against a pedophile, and claims that this makes him de facto a pedophile himself. (I wonder if the man understands what de facto means!)

Can you imagine hearing such garbage as political ads on the radio?:(:(:(

Do you not have slander/libel laws in the states Scholar ?

LSemmens - 7-1-2010 at 12:14

My thoughts exactly, Nim.

scholar - 7-1-2010 at 14:34

Quote:
Originally posted by Nimuae
Do you not have slander/libel laws in the states Scholar ?
I would imagine that the person who placed the ad, had a lawyer go over the wording first for his own protection.

For example, I remember the wording of the first ad said that so-and-so said that there is a solid rumor that the candidate is a homosexual. If so-and-so indeed said that, the statement that he said it is true. So-and-so may even be able to say, "I said there is a solid rumor to that effect. I never said the rumor is true."

:(:(:(It all stinks.

marymary100 - 7-1-2010 at 17:15

It's hardly any different from the lies/misinformation espoused on these pages during that last election campaign.

There's something rotten in the States of America and it's up to you to sort it out.

scholar - 7-1-2010 at 18:12

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
It's hardly any different from the lies/misinformation espoused on these pages during that last election campaign.

There's something rotten in the States of America and it's up to you to sort it out.
I can truly say that my own contributions on KF were accurate.:)

Polls of American voters show that, now that they have seen how the ruling party is doing, they want something else.

Daz - 7-1-2010 at 21:16

No, that again says more about the American voters than he who shall not be named. Given what he inherited, and the immediate global problems that followed... More is expected...!?!

Cloud cuckoo comes to mind.

Katzy - 7-1-2010 at 21:22

Obama seems a good bloke, to me.

Must be a shock for the US to have a good bloke in charge.

Not that we're any better...

giron - 7-1-2010 at 21:31

Well we did have Tony Blair, but as it turned out, he wasn't a good bloke, after all.

Daz - 7-1-2010 at 21:36

Quote:
Originally posted by giron
Well we did have Tony Blair, but as it turned out, he wasn't a good bloke, after all.

He was great, a true super hero if ever there were... A man of the people.

See, they didn't call him Teflon for nothing...! :D

giron - 7-1-2010 at 22:53

But he didn't get a Nobel peace prize, did he?

Hardly surprising under the circumstances, of course.

marymary100 - 7-1-2010 at 22:59

Apparently one can get that for having "potential". One doesn't need to have actually done anything.

giron - 7-1-2010 at 23:11

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
One doesn't need to have actually done anything.

Yes, but Tony did do something, didn't he?

He agreed to participate in an illegal war with his mate GWB! waggyfinger