Karl`s PC Help Forums

God Gave Coal and Oil to you, Gave coal and oil to you.....
John_Little - 8-12-2009 at 11:54

Going on from my comment about Scholar's comment about God not allowing Hanukkah oil lamps to affect Global warming.

I said that I had heard a Republican politician proclaiming the God had given us coal and oil and obviously wanted us to use it and therefore would not allow the World to suffer as a consequence.

Scholar challenged me to say who it was so I tried Googling. Now, I didn't find the quote I quoted, but I did find numerous references to similar quotes from various Republicans - including Sarah Palin here:-

http://twilightearth.com/politics/sarah-palin-says-we-just-need-to-tap-what-god-gave-us/

If you google for "God gave us coal/oil" you will see for yourself that this appears to be a commonly held view among a number of Republicans.

As I said in the other thread, these are very powerful people in positions of influence. The logic that God gave coal and oil to us to use so how could using it do any harm is - interesting to say the least.

So how do we feel about the idea? Is God likely to protect us from ourselves and step in at the point where we are likely to destroy the planet? Is it a wise philosophy to rely on God in this way or would God like us to think for ourselves a bit and use the common sense he gave us?

LSemmens - 8-12-2009 at 12:54

God certainly "gave" us this world to "replenish and multiply". He created within us a desire to learn and to use the tools that he has given us. He also gave us free will. This means that we have a responsibility to use that knowledge and those tools wisely, however, because we have free will, some have chosen the other path which leads to destruction. I don't think that God will step in before we annihilate ourselves as that would then deny our "freedom", or free will, so to speak. It reminds me of an old joke where the Devil challenged God to an act of creation. God grabbed a pile of dirt and made man. Satan, not to be outdone, grabbed a pile of dirt. Before he could do any more, God stopped him and said, "Get your own dirt!".

Mary2 - 8-12-2009 at 13:10

The whole point of free will is that we have the tools of our own salvation or our own destruction. We choose.

There are those fringe elements - often called the lunatic fringe by others - who seem hell-bent on doing everything they can to speed up "end-times" because they think that they will personally be caught up in some sort of "rapture". These scary people want there to be war in the Middle East and advocate using up the Earth's resources in any way they wish citing God's plan in their selfishness.

LSemmens - 8-12-2009 at 13:15

You'll get no argument from me on that point, Mary!

scholar - 8-12-2009 at 19:34

Quote:
Originally posted by John_Little
Going on from my comment about Scholar's comment about God not allowing Hanukkah oil lamps to affect Global warming.

I said that I had heard a Republican politician proclaiming the God had given us coal and oil and obviously wanted us to use it and therefore would not allow the World to suffer as a consequence.
No, the statement you made, which I challenged, was
Quote:
But I have heard senior American Republican politicians express a similar view - we can do whatever we like because God will protect us.
[Scholar's emphasis added.:)]

Have you ever heard any Republican really take THAT position? "We can do whatever we like because God will protect us" So, we could detonate atomic bombs all over the earth, if we like, because God will protect us. We can use heroin and cocaine without fear of harm to ourselves, if we like, because God will protect us. We can have huge orgies with hundreds of people, without fear of AIDS or unwanted pregnancies or harm to marriages, if we like, because God will protect us.

No one takes that position.

Sarah Palin certainly does not say anything like that in the linked article.

victor - 8-12-2009 at 20:33

If god had meant us to walk he wouldn't have let us invent the car.

John_Little - 8-12-2009 at 20:45

You're only saying that because of British Leyland.

victor - 8-12-2009 at 20:53

True also if God had given us wings we wouldn't have invented aircraft so he must have intended us to.
Armstrong Whitworth.

giron - 8-12-2009 at 21:08

Quote:
Originally posted by John_Little
You're only saying that because of British Leyland.

God's got a lot to answer for, if he was responsible for the creation of British Leyland! waggyfinger

victor - 8-12-2009 at 22:38

Kept a lot of people employed.
I worked a lot of overtime weekends there while on the contracting.

giron - 8-12-2009 at 23:01

Quote:
Originally posted by victor

I worked a lot of overtime weekends there while on the contracting.

Yes, trying to find all the missing parts! :D

victor - 8-12-2009 at 23:07

To quote another member of KF

"I'm totally innocent of all wrongdoing"

giron - 8-12-2009 at 23:43

Now who was it that said that?