Karl`s PC Help Forums

Why some parts of the world do not like America?
marymary100 - 27-11-2009 at 16:25

Do you think that possibly it is partially because whichever President is in power there is a section of the population that continually argues that they are a bad leader? If you don't accept/respect your own leaders why should we?

Thoughts?

scholar - 27-11-2009 at 16:36

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
Do you think that possibly it is partially because whichever President is in power there is a section of the population that continually argues that they are a bad leader?
No.

Do you know anyone who would decide their attitude toward a particular make and model of car, based on a certain person driving the car, or based on the opinion of others about who is driving the car?

I think most people, in most countries, think America is a wonderful country. They show it by emigrating here, even if they must cross the border illegally. Is there any other country with 20,000,000 illegal aliens within its borders?

marymary100 - 27-11-2009 at 17:18

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
No.

I think most people, in most countries, think America is a wonderful country.
I disagree. You have some people from some countries who emigrate to America and even more who visit but I don't think it is true to say that most people in most countries think it is a wonderful country. There is actually a lot of hostility towards America at the moment which, if you had ever left your country, you might be more aware of.

scholar - 27-11-2009 at 17:45

The thread heading includes "some parts of the world do not like America." I would say that more people like America than any other non-native country (the 20 million who are here, are evidence).

There is a world of difference between disagreeing with some policies a country has followed, and not liking the country.

Do some parts of the world not like America? Undoubtedly. Countries without freedom, where the dictators control the media and tell the people outrageous lies, won't like the fictitious America which their leaders have put in their imaginations.

marymary100 - 27-11-2009 at 19:11

It's much more than that. It's not just Islamic States that dislike your policies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Americanism will give you a brief synopsis in case this is new to you.

scholar - 27-11-2009 at 19:29

Quote:
It's not just Islamic States that dislike your policies.
I didn't mention Islam.confused2

I can think of a couple of government-domination states that are Islamic. More are not.

marymary100 - 27-11-2009 at 19:53

I didn't say you did.

The article however points out, quite rightly, that there has been a groundswell of anti-American feeling in Islamic states in the recent past.

Did you read it?

delanti - 28-11-2009 at 04:50

I think in every country there is a percentage of the population who do not like their leader. I have seen some pretty disparaging comments on here about those in power in England.

I think if you bellied up to the bar in a pub in any country you would find that there would be some who rant against their government.

As for why people hate America, it is most likely a combination of things. In some cases it is just plain ignorance about America and the American life. Many who dislike America have never been here and really know no more about America than most Americans know about Croatia.

I believe that many are jealous of Americans for the freedoms and rights we have and our basically unrestricted way of life. There are many things we can do as Americans that are against the law or prohibited in many other countries.

Personally if someone does not like America or Americans I would say thats fine, just stay where you are don't bother to come over here. Because if you think there are so many that hate America and Americans, go to Miami and watch the passengers get off the cruise ships. Probably 60% or more are from European countries visiting here.

I find it humorous that there are people who have lived here, worked here and are citizens of the US that criticize us and our way of life. Well, you must have wanted to come here once, made some money here and still want to be called an American when it suits you. Well, thank an American because we probably had a hand in giving you the freedom and right to criticize us in the first place. waveysmiley

giron - 28-11-2009 at 12:14

Quote:
Originally posted by delanti
Well, thank an American because we probably had a hand in giving you the freedom and right to criticize us in the first place. waveysmiley

Pah, everyone knows it was the Brits that invented free speech! :D

marymary100 - 28-11-2009 at 12:20

Quite giron.

I'm actually asking about the Americans on your own shores Delanti who constantly criticise if you read the OP. It's fair enough if "outsiders" dislike what you stand for but I find it odd that so many Americans seem to bellyache about their own country no matter who is in power iykwim.

giron - 28-11-2009 at 12:30

Didn't the Brits once own America, until they started revolting? lips_sealed

marymary100 - 28-11-2009 at 12:59

No I think the Native Americans really owned it until they were invaded? Isn't Thanksgiving all about them sharing what they had?

giron - 28-11-2009 at 13:05

Quote:
Isn't Thanksgiving all about them sharing what they had?

Good point, so they should give the country back to the Native Americans

Mind you, I reckon Obama would be in for some stick if he did that! shocked_yellow

LSemmens - 28-11-2009 at 15:07

The common observation here is that Americans are extremely parochial and have little knowledge of the outside world. This has generally been confirmed by the American tourists that lob on our shores. I do have some good ex-pat American friends and I do know many who have lived over there for a period, one being my sister. Their observations of Americans in their natural habitat is that they are very friendly and much like those in other parts of the world, though they do seem largely ignorant of the "outside" world.

As for the illegal immigration thing, Scholar. A couple of facts may have slipped your mind. Australia has it's illegal immigrant problems too, but we have a bloody great ocean that sort of slows people up a bit. If a slice of Europe of a comparable size to the USA's states were taken, you'd most likely find that, as a whole they have a much larger problem than the USA. Remember, many countries in Europe wouldn't be much larger than one of your states.

delanti - 28-11-2009 at 22:33

I agree totally with your assessment that most Americans know little about other countries. Where I live now, there are many who have never been any further than the next County. They are more concerned about which hymm they are singing Sunday than what is happening in England, Russia or any other country outside of North Carolina.waveysmiley