Karl`s PC Help Forums

If it isn’t on the PowerPoint slide, then it doesn’t happen
marymary100 - 22-11-2009 at 22:52

The Chilcot Inquiry is about to open into Britain's involvement into the Iraq invasion. (One of the reasons our Tone was said to be so keen on the President of Europe role.)

One of our colonels, Col Tanner - chief of staff to General Stewart - has made the following devastating statement.

Quote:

“The whole system was appalling. We experienced real difficulty in dealing with American military and civilian organisations who, partly through arrogance and partly through bureaucracy, dictate that there is only one way: the American way.

“I now realise that I am a European, not an American. We managed to get on better…with our European partners and at times with the Arabs than with the Americans. Europeans chat to each other, whereas dialogue is alien to the US military… dealing with them corporately is akin to dealing with a group of Martians.

“If it isn’t on the PowerPoint slide, then it doesn’t happen.”
Hostility

Apparently the British military prefer jaw-jaw and the American military prefer war-war.

Should be an interesting inquiry.

But whatever happened to the oft purported "special relationship"? If America wants to do things the American way then shouldn't America go it alone in places like Iraq and Afghanistan?

Daz - 22-11-2009 at 23:15

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
But whatever happened to the oft purported "special relationship"?

Teflon had ulterior motives? No... I simply can't believe it...! ;)

I think the "special relationship" ended in about the nineties, when we started sitting on command to the US prompts, so our Govt's of the time could feel like they had friends and could influence people... Look at me, I'm chums with Mr Super Power.

Down boy. Fetch.

scholar - 23-11-2009 at 02:41

Assuming this to be true, the U.S. did behave badly.:(

But, now there is a U.S. President who is almost all talk, and no action. His own Afghanistan commander told him that more troops were needed THEN, or the mission was in danger of failing. Obama is still thinking about it.

Every week, more troops--American, and those of other nations--die, but Obama continues to dither.

He has said that he hasn't had enough time to decide. He's had enough time to play basketball, to play golf, and to jet to Europe for his failed effort to get the Olympics for Chicago (He was so self-centered that he spoke on how great it would be for him to walk from his home in Chicago to the Olympics, and how great the Olympics would be for Chicago--as if people's lives revolved around what HE would like, and HIS city--instead of speaking on how Chicago would be good for the Olympics). But, he doesn't have time to decide whether to commit enough troops to keep from failing--even though, in his campaign, he said that Afghanistan was the necessary war, and had to be won.

Presently, Obama is gifting the enemies in Afghanistan with all the legal rights of U.S. citizens. When enemies are captured, they are told that they have a right to a lawyer, and need not say anything which might incriminate them.

Back to the OP--the surge strategy in Iraq eventually worked. If the U.S. had listened to the British military commanders, would the winning strategy have been adopted sooner?

John_Little - 23-11-2009 at 09:14

Oh,
Scholar..............................
Sigh.................................

giron - 23-11-2009 at 11:23

Bomb now and worry about it afterwards, that's the American way. lips_sealed