Karl`s PC Help Forums

Maine's same-sex marriage law repealed
scholar - 4-11-2009 at 16:24

Same-sex marriage was allowed by law in the state of Maine, but the voters were given the option to repeal the law on yesterday's ballot. They chose to repeal it--no more same-sex marriage in Maine. The vote was 53% to 47%.

Quaver - 4-11-2009 at 16:32

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
Same-sex marriage was allowed by law in the state of Maine, but the voters were given the option to repeal the law on yesterday's ballot. They chose to repeal it--no more same-sex marriage in Maine. The vote was 53% to 47%.

It's a matter of time before it'll become legal.

marymary100 - 4-11-2009 at 19:14

As homosexuals are a minority of the population it would be difficult for them to get a majority vote - especially with the religious rightwingers having their position already decided for them.

waffler - 5-11-2009 at 03:32

was a close thing

delanti - 5-11-2009 at 03:45

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
As homosexuals are a minority of the population it would be difficult for them to get a majority vote - especially with the religious rightwingers having their position already decided for them.

Obama had no problem enjoying a majority vote by the right wingers. confused2confused2

marymary100 - 5-11-2009 at 07:11

I suspect that even a black Democrat President would be preferable to a homosexual marriage to folks such as those...

LSemmens - 5-11-2009 at 11:30

Quote:

That is quite a provocative stance you have made there, mary. Are you sure that religion has anything to do with this? And, that they cannot make up their own minds?

Mary2 - 5-11-2009 at 13:10

Who campaigned against it?

Who do you think voted against it?

Who, even on here, has consistenly said it is wrong because such and such a text told them so?

I can't imagine that it is liberals who don't want same sex marriage but perhaps it is?confused2

giron - 5-11-2009 at 14:14

Quote:
I suspect that even a black Democrat President would be preferable to a homosexual marriage to folks such as those...

Of course, the Ku Klux Klan ban gays from joining.

Mind you, they're not too keen on blacks, either.

LSemmens - 6-11-2009 at 12:48

It would seem that the minority is making the most noise about this. Whatever happened to majority rule?

Mary2 - 6-11-2009 at 13:05

It was the majority of those who voted on this occasion who voted against it.

Those who choose not to vote have no right to complain when it goes in a different direction to what they wanted to happen.

Those of us who are interested in the basic human rights issue had no say in any case but it was a point worth making. Remember, for example, that in America it's not possible to leave one's pension to one's sibling let alone one's "partner" which meant that long-term homosexual couples wanted the right to marry so that they could enjoy the financial benefits that such a status would allow.

LSemmens - 6-11-2009 at 13:55

I do not know the vagaries of the American pension system to know the background for such a reform. Would it not have been as easy to reform that area of law to give defacto couples the same rights as married couples?

I agree with your statement that those who choose not to vote, deserve the consequences of that vote and have no rights to complain.

giron - 6-11-2009 at 14:01

Quote:
Originally posted by Mary2
Remember, for example, that in America it's not possible to leave one's pension to one's sibling let alone one's "partner"

If that's true, how come scholars ex wife managed to nick all of his pension! waggyfinger

LSemmens - 7-11-2009 at 12:54

The problem there, dear giron, was that they were married! It's that little bit of paper that apparently makes all the difference!

marymary100 - 7-11-2009 at 13:08

Quote:
Originally posted by giron
Quote:
Remember, for example, that in America it's not possible to leave one's pension to one's sibling let alone one's "partner"

If that's true, how come scholars ex wife managed to nick all of his pension! waggyfinger
Did she though? It was a legal judgement in her favour, not a case of theft. Whether or not it was fair is quite another matter.

scholar - 7-11-2009 at 13:44

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by giron
Quote:

Did she though? It was a legal judgement in her favour, not a case of theft. Whether or not it was fair is quite another matter.
Just to set the record straight--she did not get the pension because of a judgement "in her favour," (as if I had petitioned to keep it, and the judge gave it to her over without my consent)--it was part of a mutual agreement. In our marriage, I had handed over my paycheck to her every time, but she had neglected to pay thousands of dollars of taxes that we owed from it. In the divorce settlement, the cash value of the pension was roughly equal to the amount owed. She agreed to pay the outstanding taxes, and was given the pension to balance out what she would be paying.

Unfortunately for me, she has not paid the taxes, as she had agreed to do. My lawyer would have done a better job if he had written the wording in such a way as to make the transfer of the pension conditional on her first paying the taxes before the pension would be transferred to her.

giron - 8-11-2009 at 01:27

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
My lawyer would have done a better job if he had written the wording in such a way as to make the transfer of the pension conditional on her first paying the taxes before the pension would be transferred to her.

You should have used a British trained lawyer, at least they know what they are doing! waggyfinger

Was yours properly qualified, or had he downloaded bogus qualifications off the internet? shocked_yellow