Karl`s PC Help Forums

Today (Nov 3) is Election Day
scholar - 3-11-2009 at 16:57

Today is Election Day in various states and cities in the U.S. (but, not all). One question which is being considered--after one year of total Democrat rule (overwhelming Democrat Party majorities in the House of Representatives and Senate, and President Obama as the Chief Executive), are voters encouraged to endorse the Democrat Party and its policies, or are they inclined to show disapproval?

There are three political contests which are drawing a lot of attention. One is governor of New Jersey, a state in which the Democrat Party has many hundreds of thousands more registered members than the Republicans. Another is governor of Virginia, a state which also went for President Obama in the last election. A third is New York District 23, in which a RINO (Republican-In-Name-Only) was put on the ballot by New York Republican Party leaders, but a Conservative was nominated by the Conservative Party, and proved to be more popular than the liberal Republican. The Republican withdrew as a candidate, and has endorsed the Democrat!shocked_yellow

If Obama is thought to be doing well, the Democrats should get all three contests easily. Will the Republicans win one or more? Will they be close?

The greater significance--Congressmen and Senators whose people are more conservative will be thinking, "If I support President Obama, Pelosi, and Reid, will I be re-elected when my time comes?" Our representatives have the option of being somewhat independent, pulling in whichever direction they think is best for their district or state. It is easier for the ruling party if they can get all their people to vote alike, but it doesn't always happen. If Democrats win strongly in these various contests, it will encourage the representatives to vote as their leadership wishes.

John_Little - 3-11-2009 at 17:51

I await the outcome with keen interest.

giron - 3-11-2009 at 21:40

So do I.

[bad img]http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/indifferent/indifferent0020.gif[/bad img]

scholar - 4-11-2009 at 03:04

At this point, the Republicans have won in Virginia. I believe they have taken Governor, Lt. Governor, and Attorney General.

The Republican governor candidate is ahead in New Jersey 50% to 43%, but there are still many votes to be counted.

The New York District 23 is still too early.

scholar - 4-11-2009 at 03:22

http://wcbstv.com/breakingnewsalerts/chris.christie.nj.2.1290144.html
Republican Christie Gives GOP Stunning Win in New Jersey
Deals Big Blow to President Obama

giron - 4-11-2009 at 14:51

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar

Deals Big Blow to President Obama

I doubt very much that he'll lose much sleep over it, he's got more important matters to deal with.

scholar - 4-11-2009 at 16:00

Quote:
Originally posted by giron
I doubt very much that he'll lose much sleep over it, he's got more important matters to deal with.
Yeah, he only appeared to campaign for Corzine five times.shocked_yellowshocked_yellowshocked_yellowshocked_yellowshocked_yellow

He'll want to get back to his basketball games, and golf.:D:P

scholar - 4-11-2009 at 17:35

On a more serious note:

Exit polls showed that the candidates Obama supported lost mainly because independent voters went for the Republicans, and because Democrats who had supported Obama in the last election did not show up. Most voters said they still like Obama, but they are concerned about the economy, and feel that the country is on the wrong track. They had hoped Obama's leadership would take the country in a better direction.

The Democrat Party has many talented, intelligent people--if they would work with the Republicans on areas where they could agree, they would do better. Bill Clinton managed to do this in several areas.:)

John_Little - 4-11-2009 at 18:35

I heard a few interviews with disgruntled Democrats this morning. They all said much the same thing, ie that Obama had promised to do so much but had achieved very little in the last year.

Not one of them appeared to be aware of the difficulties that have dogged his term so far. None of them seeme to be aware that there was a World recession throughout his whole time in office so far.

giron - 4-11-2009 at 20:18

Quote:
Most voters said they still like Obama, but they are concerned about the economy, and feel that the country is on the wrong track.

The economy is going to take some time to sort out.

As for the country being on the wrong track, what the hell do they want him to do, start another illegal war?

Daz - 4-11-2009 at 22:52

Quote:
Originally posted by John_Little
I heard a few interviews with disgruntled Democrats this morning. They all said much the same thing, ie that Obama had promised to do so much but had achieved very little in the last year.

Not one of them appeared to be aware of the difficulties that have dogged his term so far. None of them seeme to be aware that there was a World recession throughout his whole time in office so far.

Just makes you laugh, doesn't it...! Do you think they spoke to the "I want it now" brigade...?

Bet old Gordy is wishing he had the excuse of only being in office for a year...! :D

giron - 4-11-2009 at 23:50

Quote:
Originally posted by Daz

Bet old Gordy is wishing he had the excuse of only being in office for a year...! :D

If people had to vote for him, it's highly unlikely that he'd have been the PM.

waffler - 5-11-2009 at 02:43

No Elections ere

LSemmens - 5-11-2009 at 11:15

Nor here!

scholar - 5-11-2009 at 11:29

Quote:

The difficulties that have plagued Obama are:
He spends too much, when restraint is needed instead.
He borrows too much, when restraint is needed.
He taxes too much, when a decrease in taxes is important to help the economy.

Amazingly, he has already accumulated more debt than all the rest of the American Presidents combined.

The Democrats control the House and the Senate, as well as the entire executive branch, and by large majorities. If they agree, no one can stop them.

John_Little - 5-11-2009 at 11:57

Of course he has. He has been trying to avert a major economic catastrophe! And, at the moment, it appears to have worked.

Daz, on the other hand, may have a point because Gordon was in charge during the lead up to the crisis and it could be argued that the actions he took in the run up left us more vulnerable. Any blame for that in the USA must lie firmly with the Republicans.

giron - 5-11-2009 at 13:39

Quote:
Any blame for that in the USA must lie firmly with the Republicans.

Unfortunately, many Republicans don't seem to understand that.

John_Little - 5-11-2009 at 13:55

In fact, Giron, you could blame the Replicans for the World crisis since it was their bloody mortgages that caused the crash.

giron - 5-11-2009 at 13:58

Some people blame the Americans for all the worlds problems, not just the financial ones.

John_Little - 5-11-2009 at 14:40

I suppose if you have to blame someone, Blame Christopher Colombus.

giron - 5-11-2009 at 14:48

Yes indeed, he was a ruddy Italian, which is almost as bad as being an American, apart from the fact that the Yanks are better at fighting wars.

John_Little - 5-11-2009 at 14:55

Talking about Italians, did you see that the Italians have convicted 25 CIA agents for abducting and torturing a Muslim cleric?

giron - 5-11-2009 at 15:02

Indeed, I did see it.

In fact, I almost posted a comment about it, but in the end I decided not to cause our American members any further embarrassment, so this link was never posted.

scholar - 5-11-2009 at 16:54

Quote:
Any blame for that in the USA must lie firmly with the Republicans.
No, the Republicans tried repeatedly to pass laws which would restrain the banks from loaning out too much money in risky mortgage ventures, but the Democrats absolutely blocked every attempt to do so. At the same time the Democrats were blocking legislative restraint on the banks, they were getting large financial contributions to their campaigns, AND they were getting preferential treatment in personal mortgage loans at low interest. It stank like a garbage dump.

I have listened to videos of the Democrats stating in government committees that nothing was wrong with the banking and mortgage systems, that they were fine and should be left alone, when we now know they were headed toward collapse and could have been saved if the Democrats would have co-operated.

giron - 5-11-2009 at 17:26

Quote:
No, the Republicans tried repeatedly to pass laws which would restrain the banks from loaning out too much money in risky mortgage ventures, but the Democrats absolutely blocked every attempt to do so.

A sure sign of a weak and ineffective government, no wonder they got booted out! waggyfinger

LSemmens - 6-11-2009 at 13:03

Quote:
Originally posted by giron
Yes indeed, he was a ruddy Italian, which is almost as bad as being an American, apart from the fact that the Yanks are better at fighting wars.

Who said? I thort it was us Ozzies, closely followed by you Pommies. The Americans are good at throwing money at wars and using technology, but they are also good at blowing themselves up, too.

Mary2 - 6-11-2009 at 13:06

...and fighting amongst themselves.

scholar - 6-11-2009 at 14:02

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
The Americans are good at . . . blowing themselves up, too.
What a callous statement!

giron - 6-11-2009 at 14:09

It might be callous, but it's true!

But, to be fair, the Yanks are jolly good at blowing up allied forces as well.