Karl`s PC Help Forums

Nobel Peace Prize
Mary2 - 9-10-2009 at 12:26

Quote:
...to the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between the nations and the abolition or reduction of standing armies and the formation and spreading of peace congresses

- after two weeks in office? lips_sealed

John_Little - 9-10-2009 at 13:41

I think Delanti's mate might have something to say about this:-

Pastor Manning

I still think he's a genius! Heh heh, "Long legged Mack Daddy"!

Manning by name, Manning by nature, eh?

(that's our Bernard, for our cross pond friends)

giron - 9-10-2009 at 14:16

In a few weeks Obama has done more to promote peace than Bush ever did! waggyfinger

So, in my book, he deserves an award.

marymary100 - 10-10-2009 at 00:30

"Yes we did," rather than "yes we can" would have been a much better reason to give it to him imo.

Daz - 10-10-2009 at 00:41

I must admit I expected this to be headline news here when I logged in tonight, after time my away... shocked_yellow

Always time I guess.

Me thinks the Illuminati have been playing... lips_sealed

;)

scholar - 10-10-2009 at 19:51

Saturday Night Live and the talk show comedians have recently begun to make fun of Obama, where they had been treating him with unusual deference before. I think Obama himself would have preferred to get the award after accomplishing some of his goals, so that it would be more meaningful (that is, if he gets some of his own goals accomplished in a way that others see as beneficial). As it is, many people of his own political party are saying, "He hasn't yet accomplished anything. The award is premature."

delanti - 11-10-2009 at 00:47

The Committee has said that they gave it to him not so much for what he has done but for what he has said he wants to do. Almost like a vote of approval. confused2

scholar - 11-10-2009 at 23:46

I have read that a Democrat columnist has suggested Obama should have declined the award at this point. If he would then win it after a few years of accomplishments, it would be more significant.

Of course, that's easy for the columnist to say--he's not the one who would be giving up this year's award (a certainty) in hopes of earning one later.

marymary100 - 12-10-2009 at 10:34

Those nominated who had actually done something included...

Quote:

Denis Mukwege: Doctor dedicated to helping rape victims

Sima Samar: Working for Afghan families

Ghazi bin Muhammad: Philospher in search of peace

Greg Mortenson: Mountaineer fighting Islamic extremism with education

Piedad Córdoba: Colombia's 'woman of peace'

Wei Jingsheng: The father of Chinese democracy

Of course they are actually too busy working towards promoting peace to have gone round the world becoming a household name.

I feel that President Obama's prize has come way too soon and it has devalued the NPP itself as a result.

giron - 12-10-2009 at 10:41

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
I have read that a Democrat columnist has suggested Obama should have declined the award at this point. If he would then win it after a few years of accomplishments, it would be more significant.

That's a good point.

Obama is reported as saying he ' wasn't worthy ' of the award, in which case, he should have turned it down. waggyfinger

John_Little - 12-10-2009 at 10:46

Nice avatar, Giron.

giron - 12-10-2009 at 12:12

Quote:
Originally posted by John_Little
Nice avatar, Giron.

It's more than nice, John, it's ruddy marvellous! :cool:

Nimuae - 12-10-2009 at 14:20

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
Those nominated who had actually done something included...

Quote:

Denis Mukwege: Doctor dedicated to helping rape victims

Sima Samar: Working for Afghan families

Ghazi bin Muhammad: Philospher in search of peace

Greg Mortenson: Mountaineer fighting Islamic extremism with education

Piedad Córdoba: Colombia's 'woman of peace'

Wei Jingsheng: The father of Chinese democracy

Of course they are actually too busy working towards promoting peace to have gone round the world becoming a household name.

I feel that President Obama's prize has come way too soon and it has devalued the NPP itself as a result.

Excellent post - and I totally agree with you !

scholar - 12-10-2009 at 16:34

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
How could the Nobel Prize become devalued, beyond what it already has been? Let me mention two examples:

President Jimmy Carter--His participation in the Middle East never resolved the problems, which persist to this day--but, he got the prize anyway. He wrote a book which so distorted the situation, and contained so many lies of a factual nature, that various members of his staff who had been helping him resigned in protest of its falsehoods.

Vice-President Al Gore--his global warming movie, done in documentary/science style, contains so many errors that a British judge ruled more than a dozen of them should be identified and mentioned to students if they watch the movie as part of their studies. When Gore is not in his giant mansion which sucks electricity at a prodigal rate, he travels the globe in his fuel-hogging private jet, and processes to meeting engagements in a group of limosines which he keeps running during his engagements so that the air conditioning or heat is maintained for when he enters the car again. He is happy to remark that he buys carbon offsets to balance what he uses. This serves to recommend carbon offsets to those who admire him. Where does he buy them? From himself, his own company!shocked_yellow

If people of this quality have won the Nobel Prize in the past, I don't think its award to Obama brought it any lower.

marymary100 - 12-10-2009 at 17:12

It does seem that the NPP likes to award Democrat American leaders, whether they merit it or not.

scholar - 12-10-2009 at 19:52

Did you know that Rush Limbaugh was once nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize?:o:D:P

giron - 12-10-2009 at 20:04

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
Did you know that Rush Limbaugh was once nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize?:o:D:P

Was that because his show was the first to air the song Barack the Magic Negro?

Click here and join in with a jolly good singsong. shocked_yellow

scholar - 12-10-2009 at 21:00

As the wiki article notes, the comparison between Obama and the magic negro is not from Limbaugh, but from a Los Angeles newspaper editorial. The singer/humorist whom Rush uses for parodies incorporated it into one of his songs.

Nimuae - 12-10-2009 at 21:42

Scholar, how does this work ... " contained so many lies of a factual nature," ? Surely a lie is a lie and a fact is a fact - can one have a lie of a factual nature ?

Not being contentious - just curious.