Karl`s PC Help Forums

Limited doses of swine flu vaccine available
scholar - 20-8-2009 at 01:55

The U.S. does not have enough swine flu vaccine, at this point, to innoculate all the people who would be likely to benefit from it, as the young people return to school. More will be made, to protect more people, later.

Health care officials have indicated that they are going to use the limited supply for the people who have first priorty--those most important, to be protected.

Who are those people? Why, they are health care personel. They will be giving it to themselves.

Hey! drop_down

waffler - 20-8-2009 at 02:57

looks like i'm bottom of the list:cool:

the bear - 20-8-2009 at 03:08

Quote:
Originally posted by waffler
looks like i'm bottom of the list:cool:

As long as your bottom doesnt get a curly tail :P

Regards the Bear

Quaver - 20-8-2009 at 07:21

It might have side-effects:

Quote:

Swine flu jab link to killer nerve disease

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1206807/Swine-flu-jab-link-killer-nerve-disease-Leaked-letter-reveals-concern-neurologis ts-25-deaths-America.html

But then this is Dailymail:D

For normal people the swine flu is just a normal flu isn't it?
I think I'll just try and get the flu asap, and forget about the jab.

LSemmens - 20-8-2009 at 15:42

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
The U.S. does not have enough swine flu vaccine, at this point, to innoculate all the people who would be likely to benefit from it, as the young people return to school. More will be made, to protect more people, later.

Health care officials have indicated that they are going to use the limited supply for the people who have first priorty--those most important, to be protected.

Who are those people? Why, they are health care personel. They will be giving it to themselves.

Hey! drop_down
Can you support these allegations with links? To me, it just seems like another slight upon the American health system, which, Scholar, is almost too predictable from you.

scholar - 20-8-2009 at 21:57

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
Can you support these allegations with links? To me, it just seems like another slight upon the American health system, which, Scholar, is almost too predictable from you.
I find it strange that you would say that, insofar as others have complained about posts in which I stick up for American health care under the control of individuals. It is the various versions of proposals to change American health care so that it would be under government control, to which I object.

This item was part of broadcast news on the day when I posted it. I'm sure it is on the net as well, but I didn't read it there.

marymary100 - 20-8-2009 at 23:04

Should be simple enough for you to find then I guess. waveysmiley

Redwolf5150 - 21-8-2009 at 00:36

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
Should be simple enough for you to find then I guess. waveysmiley

Too easy to just chuck a few stones then do any actual research.

It's been reported in lots of media -- including OUR humble little paper by yours truly -- what the priorities are for receiving the shots.

But since you're too lazy to look for links I'm going to be equally lazy and not post that information.

nananana

scholar - 21-8-2009 at 02:32

Am I lazy? No.

Am I tired, and short of time, with lots of other tasks of higher priority? Yes.

Redwolf, you would do well to note that I did not chucK any stones. I relayed part of a news story.

Gallery, please note that Redwolf confirmed that priorities were announced, and he did not contradict the facts of my report (which he surely would have done if I were in error, since he so likes to provoke me).

The health people thought they first needed protection, so that they could care for others.:)

Redwolf5150 - 21-8-2009 at 03:54

Quote:
The health people thought they first needed protection, so that they could care for others.:)

Which, if you had thought it through some before making a post that hinted at some kind of sinister motive on the part of the health care professionals, would have spared you a lot of ill-will.

Like I said in another thread, you keep forgetting that Jackie is a medical professional!

You are now so high on our "chit list" that you are hovering above the top of the paper!

rant0000

scholar - 21-8-2009 at 04:13

Quote:
Originally posted by Redwolf5150
Which, if you had thought it through some before making a post that hinted at some kind of sinister motive
Not guilty. I did no such thing. And, I did know the reason the health care people gave for thinking they needed to have first priority, from the start. You are mistaken in imagining I had not thought it through. Health care people get exposed over and over again to such diseases, and they cannot afford to become contagious, themselves. They cannot expose their own patients, who may be weak from other illness, to swine flu as well.

Instead of approaching my posts with ill will, and imagining I put in sinister motives that are not in the post, and accusing me of not thinking something through when I had, in reality, done so before even the initial post--

Instead of all that vile stuff, just take the post in the good will in which it was intended.

You don't have to be so mean to me, Red.

LSemmens - 21-8-2009 at 06:29

If you re-read the posts, Scholar, it was I who first raised the issue. Your last paragraph and subsequent smilie was actually the flag that promoted my response. Had you omitted that comment, then maybe, just, maybe, your post may have been treated with a little more decorum.

John_Little - 21-8-2009 at 09:03

Oh! This thread!

But apparently, the NHS is so prepared for this they even have plans for mass graves when the time comes. That's what I call a health service.

Quaver - 21-8-2009 at 09:05

Quote:
Originally posted by John_Little
they even have plans for mass graves when the time comes. That's what I call a health service.

:o

Quaver - 21-8-2009 at 09:38

What I want to do is to find someone with the flu, and get it now.
I don't want the vaccine, and I don't want it when I'll be really busy with work this autumn.
Also, I want it now in case I get pregnant again.

There was someone coughing at a supermarket the other day, I couldn't help walking towards her:D

Daz - 21-8-2009 at 10:11

Quote:
Originally posted by John_Little
Oh! This thread!

But apparently, the NHS is so prepared for this they even have plans for mass graves when the time comes. That's what I call a health service.

Linky thing...?

Redwolf5150 - 21-8-2009 at 15:17

Why is this not in the health care/politics forum, anyway?

This is another example of how you circumvent the rules of the forum whenever you don't get enough responses, IMHO.

marymary100 - 21-8-2009 at 16:09

Wondered that myself.

Moved.

No, no, no need to thank me schola.

Redwolf5150 - 21-8-2009 at 16:32

But I'll thank you.

waveysmiley

scholar - 21-8-2009 at 17:25

It was not posted in the "USA . . .healthcare Forum" because swine flu is a problem for many nations, and the world at large (not just the USA) is short on an effective vaccine against it. Appropriate responses can include whether other countries are setting the same priorities, or whether there is either priviledged access or popular (first-come-first-served) access.

Another thought--do military personel get any priority? I understand transmission through military people was an important part of the spread of the Spanish flu. Do British troops get innoculations before civilians generally do? I don't know about the American military, in this respect.

marymary100 - 21-8-2009 at 17:32

Quote:
The U.S. does not have enough swine flu vaccine, ...

It seems quite specifically American to me scholar.

We do have more than enough for our needs here - not sure that we'll all take it however.

scholar - 21-8-2009 at 18:05

If Britain has "more than enough," why do you suppose it is not being purchased for use in the US?

Extra flu vaccine, if not sold to someone who will use it, is of no value. I understand it expires (in the sense that it becomes increasingly unreliable in its defensive effect after it has been on the shelf too long).

marymary100 - 21-8-2009 at 18:15

It'll be sold to those who wish to purchase it.

Redwolf5150 - 21-8-2009 at 19:26

How does ...

Quote:

NOT make it worthy of inclusion in the Politics/Healthcare forum?

I stand by my assertion that you posted it in general chat to troll for responses.

Maybe one of the MODS should change my CUT to "Scholar's Watchdog"

:D

marymary100 - 21-8-2009 at 19:59

Be careful the Phantom doesn't run amock with us all... shocked_yellow

Redwolf5150 - 21-8-2009 at 21:27

Okay, how about "Mighty Troll Hunter" instead?

scholar - 21-8-2009 at 23:06

Quote:
How does ...

Quote:

NOT make it worthy of inclusion in the Politics/Healthcare forum?
I, the Original Poster, indicate my intent by where I place it. My intent was to only mention one of the US vaccine priorities, as one example among the many nations which might be mentioned under the general topic of swine flu vaccine shortages. Does Mexico, which has had many cases, and a high number of deaths, have enough vaccine? How are they setting their priorities? What about the EU nations?

marymary100 - 21-8-2009 at 23:12

Quote:
I, the Original Poster, indicate my intent by where I place it. My intent was to only mention one of the US vaccine priorities, as one example among the many nations which might be mentioned under the general topic of swine flu vaccine shortages. Does Mexico, which has had many cases, and a high number of deaths, have enough vaccine? How are they setting their priorities? What about the EU nations?

Quote:

Hey! drop_down
A reminder of what you actually wrote then. Seeing as you've been arguing about what things mean in a few posts already today it might be helpful for you to see what others see, despite what you intend.

scholar - 21-8-2009 at 23:44

The topic advanced with a number of people contributing, and no one mistakenly took it to be an American-only thread until

1) Leigh complained that it was another slight on the US system--when, in fact, I am a supporter of the freedoms which are in the present US system, apart from the harm caused by areas under government control

2) Redwolf starting whining and accusing me of saying something sinister against health care professionals, and of not thinking through the reasons (which, contrary to his assertion, I had done)

I am a person of good will. I spend my days seeking to serve My Lord by doing good--in my volunteer work, in my family life, in my church life, among anyone whom I encounter, and in my posts here. I am "an Israelite in whom there is no guile."

I do not need a watchdog, nor will I ever be a troll. Play the ball, not the player, Redwolf. Enhance the discussion. Contribute something positive.

You may note that I have not started posts lately on American politics or the American health care restructuring issues, because I care more about you than I care about posting on those topics, O Redwolf. In view of the fact that you have harassed me so much and complained so much about me posting on those subjects, you might have thanked me.smokin:

marymary100 - 21-8-2009 at 23:54

tumbleweed

Redwolf5150 - 22-8-2009 at 00:22

Quote:
Play the ball, not the player, Redwolf.

With your trollish behavior of late -- pardon me, but if you look up the Internet definition, it's exactly what you're doing -- that makes you the ball, IMHO.

Therefore, the way I "see things," I am playing the ball!

Daz - 22-8-2009 at 00:30

Quote:
Quote:

With your trollish behavior of late -- pardon me, but if you look up the Internet definition, it's exactly what you're doing -- that makes you the ball, IMHO.

Therefore, the way I "see things," I am playing the ball!

brshteeth lips_sealed

Redwolf5150 - 22-8-2009 at 01:14

And in case you want further clarification:

From the wiki

"In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional or disciplinary response[1] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[2]"

The entire definition is HERE

kewl_glasses

marymary100 - 22-8-2009 at 09:07

A bit like someone posting about the UK benefits system and getting a response about American politics and global warming - the response would be trolling as well as it would be off topic to try and lead the discussion away from the OP.

Daz - 22-8-2009 at 09:37

Quote:

Red has NOT played the player in any post I've read.

However good clever work though, get that in nice and early to make you the injured party...

You accused me of similar sometime back, which was utter nonsense, but it was clever work then too. Drop it in there early, hoping the mud will stick...

Luckily Mods are clever enough to see through it. (Hopefully!) :D :P ;)

marymary100 - 22-8-2009 at 10:48

Indeed - we can post our many degrees if you like :D

A degree of fairness
A degree of latitude
A degree of discipline
A degree of comparison
A degree of concern

etc etc

scholar - 22-8-2009 at 12:10

Quote:
A bit like someone posting about the UK benefits system and getting a response about American politics and global warming - the response would be trolling as well as it would be off topic to try and lead the discussion away from the OP.
Since I do not post "with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional or disciplinary response"--by the words which Redwolf chose to quote, I am not a troll. I post about ideas or news which is of interest to me which I think is worthwhile to mention to others.

I recall the recent post topic which started with the observation that, in the economy of the UK, more benefits are being paid out than the money coming in from income tax. I pointed out that, historically, cutting taxes brings in more income tax revenue. Is this relevant to the topic? Certainly, since bringing in more revenue would be helpful to the situation. Did I state this to provoke anyone into an emotional or disciplinary response? No, I did not. Is mention of economic history rightly called politics, simply because presidents advocated those tax cuts? Politics is certainly connected to the economic policies of nations, but that is the case in the UK as well. The UK is in its present situation in connection with policies enacted by politicians--the tax rates they have voted, and the benefits which have been made part of UK law. One might note that the presidents mentioned belong to each of the American political parties.

Thread drift is natural, the same as conversations advance from mention of one idea to another connected idea, to another idea which connects to that. Conversational style is the norm here in KF. The posts which I make, I make to advance the conversation--not to provoke anyone, or to make mischief by some design to get "off topic."

Redwolf5150 - 22-8-2009 at 15:01

I beg to differ.

You posted this outside the US politics and Healthcare forum in hopes that you can get away with circumventing the rules. Short of that, you knew the most any moderator would do would be to move it where it belonged in the first place.

You sure knew it would elicit a response from me and probably others.

Therefore it meets BOTH the criteria in the definition I cited.

kewl_glasses

Redwolf5150 - 22-8-2009 at 15:05

Quote:
Originally posted by Daz

However good clever work though, get that in nice and early to make you the injured party...

You accused me of similar sometime back, which was utter nonsense, but it was clever work then too. Drop it in there early, hoping the mud will stick...

Luckily Mods are clever enough to see through it. (Hopefully!) :D :P ;)

Should have seen what he tried to use for a defense last night our time in another thread Sure got an "emotional response" from me.

And the mods, I bet, as they nuked the entire thread.

marymary100 - 22-8-2009 at 17:15

It's not necessarily nuked - I just didn't have time to look at it properly as I've been rather busy and I hoped another mod might want to look at it before it was tidied up.

Redwolf5150 - 22-8-2009 at 17:31

Quote:
It's not necessarily nuked - I just didn't have time to look at it properly as I've been rather busy and I hoped another mod might want to look at it before it was tidied up.

IMHO, what was said needs to be seen by the whole board. Certain people are getting away with some things on here that frankly is detrimental to the forums as a whole and leveling some charges that are not correct. They are doing so late at night GB time so as they won't be seen by the majority of the board. They are getting their "licks" in knowing that the responses -- and their baseless accusations -- will be removed by the first passing moderator.

The only way these will be resolved is if everyone and I mean EVERYONE can see them.

Then again, I'm not a mod. If I were, this thread would have been moved outright when I first saw it.

kewl_glasses

LSemmens - 23-8-2009 at 03:47

Sometimes, enough rope is all that is needed. We'll try and let this one lie, now.