Karl`s PC Help Forums

Professors arrest
delanti - 24-7-2009 at 22:55

Since a few days have past and finally everyone including the media are starting to deal with the truth and the facts of the case what are your thoughts?

My take is that in responding to a 911 call about a burglary, the police officer in attempting to determine exactly what was going on was met by and educated Black man who decided to turn a routine call into a racial issue. For the first couple of days that is the message the media was selling and even the President called the Police officers actions stupid.

Now however since the President talked to both parties involved and found out the facts he has changed his tune. Even the Black Police officer who was on the scene says things were done by the book and there was no racial bias in the arrest. Since there were 2 officers, one black and one white at the scene who are telling the same story, how can I not be skeptical of the professors story.

Am I to believe that this was just a mistake on everyone's part or did a Black Harvard Professor attempt to put a racial spin on the incident just to create something that never was? Could this be the case of a Black man being racially prejudiced to a white police officer?

If this is how a renowned Harvard educator behaves it makes me wonder what our college students are being taught in college. confused2

the bear - 24-7-2009 at 23:00

Delanti, I must of missed the original post and links, can you explain or put any links up.

Many thanks

Best regards the Bear waveysmiley

scholar - 25-7-2009 at 02:50

Here is one link about background information on the professor's views.

Here is something from CNN.

I'll be back with another post with links to text articles on the events of the story. (Those here are the first ones I found.)

the bear - 25-7-2009 at 03:03

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
Here is one link about background information on the professor's views.

Here is something from CNN.

I'll be back with another post with links to text articles on the events of the story. (Those here are the first ones I found.)

Thanks Scholar I'll have a read and try and catch up.

Regards the Bear

scholar - 25-7-2009 at 03:23

Here is the police report.

Newspaper article.

A black officer who was present said Officer Crowley acted properly toward Gates.

Yet another newspaper article.

It seems to me that Crowley acted entirely properly. A neighbor had reported that two men seemed to be breaking into Gates' house, and Crowley, upon finding Gates, asked for identification and would not allow him to leave to go into his kitchen alone. Possibilities he considered: 1) the man before him might be one of the people who had broken in, trying to pass himself off as the resident 2) the man before him might be the home owner, but might be unaware that two men had broken into his house (and could still be there) As it turned out, Gates had broken into his OWN residence--but, the policeman had to determine for sure what was had happened.

Obama ignorantly assumed that the policeman had been in the wrong, when in fact the professor had made a problem of himself, yelling at the officer and raising a fuss.

I heard on the radio that Crowley educates other officers with respect to avoiding racial profiling; he teaches them the department requirement to treat people of any race identically.

scholar - 25-7-2009 at 03:43

Delanti, based on this link--

http://townhall.com/blog/g/4f3a0812-aa24-453d-97cb-d049b81c5367

I think Professor Gates was inclined to take offense and see prejudiced conduct where none existed. Gates will surely lose any lawsuit.

I heard a radio host tell of a very similar incident that happened to him. Officers came to his house when the home alarm went off, by mistake--an alarm of the kind that contacts the police automatically. The police demanded photo identification, the same as was done with Gates. But, the radio host complied, and did not yell at the officer or threaten him or insult his mother.:)

delanti - 25-7-2009 at 03:55

It has been my experience that when dealing with a Police officer the prudent thing to do is be cooperative. Yelling or refusing to provide ID is the typical response of someone who doing something they should not be doing, not a law abiding citizen. waggyfinger

LSemmens - 25-7-2009 at 04:14

A link would be good, it is meaningless to us down here.

LSemmens - 25-7-2009 at 04:16

Just ignore me.

scholar - 25-7-2009 at 04:29

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
A link would be good, it is meaningless to us down here.
The six I posted were not good enough? greengrin greengrin greengrinnananana

LSemmens - 25-7-2009 at 04:37

Now that I've read the article, the copper should be given a medal for having to deal with this Bigot! I hope he (Professor what's 'is name) gets locked up with some real black fellas!

scholar - 25-7-2009 at 16:38

I am happy to see that Sgt. Crowley has defended his actions, and that others on the force (including his supervisors) are standing by him. Imagine how his career could have been effected if he had been told not to speak to the media, or if--unhappily--he had been suspended for an investigation of whether he had acted properly.

President Obama is an arrogant ass for assuming that his pro-marxist friend would do no wrong, and that the white officer must have misbehaved. rant0000

marymary100 - 25-7-2009 at 18:15

I wondered when it would degenerate into an anti Obama thread...brshteeth

scholar - 25-7-2009 at 19:51

Do you have such a low opinion of the American President that any remark about him means the thread has degenerated?

He first spoke on the subject when asked about it in a news conference. He certainly had the option of declining to comment, since he did not know about it. (He was asked a question at a public meeting about the Democrat medical plan, and he declined to answer, because he was "unfamiliar" with the it {the provision questioned}. He could surely have done the same at the press conference.)

The main reason that Gates' misbehavior and false accusations have become so well known is because Oabama's poor judgement in making uninformed comments against Crowley brought it to greater public attention.

But, whether Obama had commented about it or not, Gates acted badly in yelling at and threatening the officer, and I'm glad to see the facts come out with the officer getting the support he is due.:)

marymary100 - 25-7-2009 at 21:05

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar

President Obama is an arrogant ass for assuming that his pro-marxist friend would do no wrong, and that the white officer must have misbehaved. rant0000

ar·ro·gant (r-gnt)
adj.
1. Having or displaying a sense of overbearing self-worth or self-importance.
2. Marked by or arising from a feeling or assumption of one's superiority toward others

Quote:
Originally spoken by Obama
Because this has been ratcheting up and I obviously helped to contribute ratcheting it up, I wanted to make clear in my choice of words I think I unfortunately gave an impression that I was maligning the Cambridge Police Department or Sgt Crowley specifically. I could have calibrated those words differently."

If only others backed down as graciously. brshteeth

scholar - 25-7-2009 at 21:31

Quote:
Originally spoken by Obama
Because this has been ratcheting up and I obviously helped to contribute ratcheting it up, I wanted to make clear in my choice of words I think I unfortunately gave an impression that I was maligning the Cambridge Police Department or Sgt Crowley specifically. I could have calibrated those words differently."
Gee, he says he "gave an impression that he was maligning" Crowley when he said he "acted stupidly."

In what universe does anyone say a person acted stupidly without intending to malign the person?

How about an honest apology, something like, "I insulted and maligned Sgt. Crowley, and I was wrong. Professor Gates was the one who behaved badly, and he would do well to thank Sgt. Crowley for keeping his cool and acting so professionally."

marymary100 - 25-7-2009 at 21:58

And here I thought this was a thread about a Harvard prof.

Daz - 25-7-2009 at 23:35

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
And here I thought this was a thread about a Harvard prof.

Really? shocked_yellow

delanti - 27-7-2009 at 00:11

It would take a Harvard Prof to explain to me how you calibrated words.confused2

the bear - 27-7-2009 at 03:47

I think we're back to a religious stand point and need to call up the "wisdom of Solomon.

Nb. Rightly or wrongly Obama is the president, he can say what he likes because he is the president.

Regards the Bear

marymary100 - 27-7-2009 at 09:22

In a democratic country we can all say what we like. :)

Redwolf5150 - 27-7-2009 at 13:00

From all the accounts I have read the professor could have avoided a lot of hassle if he had just provided I.D. when asked!

Instead he wanted to make this a racial issue from the get-go when pulling out his wallet would have shown he had the right to be in the house.

kewl_glasses

Redwolf5150 - 27-7-2009 at 13:01

Quote:
I wondered when it would degenerate into an anti Obama thread...brshteeth

Exactly.

LSemmens - 27-7-2009 at 14:02

Where's that monkey?

Redwolf5150 - 27-7-2009 at 16:01

He told me if I set him on Scholar again he was going to do unspeakable things to his new car.

So I'm leery of unbolting his cage just now.

:D

delanti - 27-7-2009 at 18:51

Good idea RW.

scholar - 27-7-2009 at 22:07

Obama has invited the men to come to the White House to have a beer with him.

What beers do you think they'll have?

This will, of course, be a photo opportunity. Obama, our leader, brings together two who were at odds.

Isn't it fortunate there isn't anything else demanding his attention?greengrin

LSemmens - 28-7-2009 at 11:58

Free beer, who wouldn't turn up! Count me in!

delanti - 28-7-2009 at 18:54

Well I would guess tha Obama will have Sweetwater Happy Ending Imperial Stout.

Professor Gates will more likely have Avery Collaboration Not Litigation

While Officer Crowley will likely drink Sweet Life cheers:

scholar - 29-7-2009 at 09:04

I understand a female black officer spoke up publicly to say that she had voted for Obama, but she would not do so again, because of his remarks supporting Gates instead of the policeman. Perhaps she will have a beer with them as well.

If everyone who is disappointed in Obama gets invited for a beer--does the US HAVE that much beer?:o
:cheers:cheers:cheers:cheers:cheers:cheers:cheers:cheers:

The press says Prof. Gates does not care for beer, but would enjoy a good wine.
Hmmm. I shall hold my tongue. Make up your own joke. :D Perhaps Delanti will suggest another one.greengrin

delanti - 30-7-2009 at 20:40

Quote:
Originally posted by delanti
Well I would guess tha Obama will have Sweetwater Happy Ending Imperial Stout.

Professor Gates will more likely have Avery Collaboration Not Litigation

While Officer Crowley will likely drink Sweet Life cheers:

By the way, all of those beers either are produced or have been produced.

marymary100 - 30-7-2009 at 22:22

My ex drank Bitter and Twisted or Old Peculiar.

scholar - 31-7-2009 at 03:29

Quote:
My ex drank Bitter and Twisted or Old Peculiar.
Coincidentally, Gates IS bitter and twisted. :D:D:D

Actually, when he drinks beer, he prefers a foreign beer. Unamerican--that figures. :jester)