Karl`s PC Help Forums

Mistake with Avast
scholar - 4-10-2015 at 23:11

I have been getting notes from Avast about malware being blocked.y ask me if a program that is being sneaked onto the computer is to be accepted or not. I chose the box marked "exclude" for a program I wanted to exclude from getting onto Ruby's laptop, and Avast now tells me that the program is excluded from the list of programs that Avast will block.

How do I fix this ?

LSemmens - 5-10-2015 at 09:39

You should be able to view the list of excluded programs and remove it from that list.

Katzy - 5-10-2015 at 09:43

I dumped Avast, a while back, coz it wouldn't play properly. If I remember rightly, you can edit the exclusions list. Either open the Avast user interface and go to ‘Settings‘ » ‘General‘ and find the tab ‘EXCLUSIONS‘ and add specific programs to the ‘File paths‘ tab. Or, it may have been the exclusions in the file system shield.

sceptre - 5-10-2015 at 19:31

This! and delete

scholar - 6-10-2015 at 00:32

Quote:
Originally posted by sceptre
This! and delete

thanking_you all. . . and extra thanks to sceptre, for being so specific.

scholar - 7-10-2015 at 23:57

I'm on the laptop with the problem, now, and I don't see how to apply what I've been instructed to do.

Just as Sceptre pictured, I have an opportunity to enter a path to exclude from scanning. So, for example, if I have a folder in the main directory in my hard drive that has some virus or other malware that I want to send to someone, I can exclude Avast from scanning it and complaining about it.

But, my problem is, on a day when a pop-up box warning some site had tried to place an unwanted program on this computer, I accidentally told it not to worry if that program is sent to me and installed. (I think it was a lavasoft program, but I'm not certain.) So, the program will not be from on my computer--I have no way to list where the unwanted program will appear.

I don't actually see a list of all the possible unwanted programs that Avast guards against (you know the kind I mean--unwanted toolbars, unwanted sales offers, etc.), of which I accidentally said, "That one will be OK to accept if it is offered to me).

If someone can guide me, as to how to find the one I accidentally gave a pass to, it would be most helpful.

In the alternative, I am thinking perhaps I want to uninstall Avast! as it now is (with my mistake in it), and then re-install it without the mistake

LSemmens - 8-10-2015 at 00:18

Have you looked at the AVAST website?

Katzy - 8-10-2015 at 10:38

This?

[bad img]http://www.getavast.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/avast-2015-global-file-exclusions.jpg[/bad img]

which is what Sceptre posted. Just delete the thing you blocked. Hold on... Is that arse-about-face? You want to block something that you've allowed? Is that right?

It must be a similar procedure.

/me goes to do some research...

Edit:

Nothing. :(

Maybe you ought to sign-up, here:

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2.0

Having gone through twenty pages, I found nothing and, reading some of the posts, there, I'm glad I dumped Avast.

You know, a while back, their forum got hacked. They blamed the software provider, quite loudly. But, it turned-out, one of their admins was at fault, coz he used the same password to log on, there, as he did in a lot of other places and his password was hacked, from elsewhere.

Not a good advert for a supposed expert on security...

sceptre - 8-10-2015 at 20:33

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar

...a pop-up box warning some site had tried to place an unwanted program on this computer, I accidentally told it not to worry if that program is sent to me and installed. (I think it was a lavasoft program, but I'm not certain.) So, the program will not be from on my computer--I have no way to list where the unwanted program will appear.

My exclusions are on the URL tab , so if I wanted to remove one then it would be hightlight the target url by a mouse click then press delete .
If there's nothing listed on any of the exclusion tabs (file paths, urls etc. then I 'd assume that avast only gave a prompt if you wanted to go ahead and install a programme .

So to remove (for windows 10) it should be goto....settings/system/apps & features / find the nasty and hight light same , then uninstall
HTH some what ;)