Karl`s PC Help Forums

Sick Lappy
Redwolf5150 - 8-6-2014 at 17:07

Jackie's lappy is not running right, it keeps shutting down when we try scanning with Spybot or Trend scanning tools. Shuts off midway through either. It did make it all the way through one online scan through Advanced System Protector, but I had never heard of before (Jackie ran it) and they wanted $30 to get rid of the nasties.

Looks like it's something in the registry from what ASP is serving up.

Details:

Gateway NV79
Intel Core i3
3GB memory
Running Windows 7

HELP! She is freaking out and all but taken over my desktop.

John Barnes - 8-6-2014 at 23:25

Have you tried running system restore in safe mode? and if you do stop your antivirus for 10 minutes while system restore runs,
also Google Malware bytes called mbam for short this gets rid of most nasties . jmb

Redwolf5150 - 8-6-2014 at 23:51

I haven't had a chance to do much with it because she won't let me touch it.

I'll try the system restore first chance I get.

LSemmens - 9-6-2014 at 05:36

I'll second mbam, works a treat, Combofix is another goodun. Once cleaned out, I even run Ccleaner over both the hdd and the registry, (others, here, have had issues with ccleaner, but I never have, just be aware).

John Barnes - 9-6-2014 at 07:55

The only issue I have with Ccleaner it takes off your saved passwords but write them down first then use it, .its good for obliterating your last internet seesion and cookies and things , I use it as well. jmb

LSemmens - 10-6-2014 at 10:13

As part of the options with Ccleaner, John, you can tell it to leave such things alone, I never lose my passwords.

John Barnes - 10-6-2014 at 16:05

Will check that one out cheers jmb