Karl`s PC Help Forums

PC won't start - HELP can't do recovery either
DeWitch - 17-6-2008 at 10:21

HP Media Center PC with XP Pro

thought I had a Trojan after reading some stuff on askbobrankin site I think it was - no way to check now as PC is not working at all
had tried to use "misconfig" to shut down thing that were starting at startup and every time it told me I needed administrators privileges to do this
always worked before
went to tons of scan sites and got no where
so decided to do the system recovery - HP with built in recovery - recovery would not start
so went to do a system restore and all my restore points were gone
had made the recovery disks and used them before and they worked
put them in and they and ran it through and got at the end
"error in system configuration call HP"
PC is not under warranty any more - they wanted $40 per call nearly two years ago for an out of warranty PC and I can never understand them anyway since most of them are in India or somewhere over there:{
decided to try the recovery again since I had forgotten to unhook some stuff and was hoping without much hope that it had been the problem but it wasn't
- got the same thing and remember when I ran the recovery before that it asked if I wanted to delete the partition where the OS was and I had to tell it yes and it didn't do that this time
thinking I have been hacked and someone has made themselves administrator of my PC and now I can't do anything with it
any suggestions?

LSemmens - 17-6-2008 at 14:09

Aaaaaaaarghhhhhhh! just for you Whitchie one.

Have you tried a bootable floppy? The HP recovery CD, IIRC, actually calls upon a hidden partition of your HDD which, it it isn't there, can cause you lots of grief.

If you can boot from a floppy, you may then be able to format your HDD from the DOS prompt and then try to re-load form there.

You may need to re-assign your boot order in BIOS to allow the system to boot from CD and Floppy.

One tool in my arsenal is an Ultimate Boot CD for WIndows (UBCD4W - google it) which gets me into otherwise unworkable systems.

DeWitch - 17-6-2008 at 18:30

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
Aaaaaaaarghhhhhhh! just for you Whitchie one.

Have you tried a bootable floppy? The HP recovery CD, IIRC, actually calls upon a hidden partition of your HDD which, it it isn't there, can cause you lots of grief.

If you can boot from a floppy, you may then be able to format your HDD from the DOS prompt and then try to re-load form there.

You may need to re-assign your boot order in BIOS to allow the system to boot from CD and Floppy.

One tool in my arsenal is an Ultimate Boot CD for WIndows (UBCD4W - google it) which gets me into otherwise unworkable systems.

Hi Leigh
no floppy drive on this - the partition is there as I opened it but you cannot access anything that way it has a lock on it - the two recovery CDs were made from that partition when I first got the PC and they worked the last time I used them.
I can get as far as where it says Microsoft Windows then it says "please wait" and then the box comes up -
" Your system has detected a configuration error. Please report this error to customer care (at $40+ a whack) using the number found in the warranty & support guide that came with your PC (now ourt of warranty). Unless corrected, this error will prevent your PC from operating properly. Turn off your PC by pressing and holding the Power button. After a few seconds your PC will automatically turn off. (wooohooo)
then it says (Code Purple)???

Katzy - 17-6-2008 at 18:41

If it was me, I'd do the non-destructive reinstall.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/1664082/posts

Katzy - 17-6-2008 at 18:43

Cancel that.

I just saw those awful words "Recovery CD".

You can only do the reinstall with the proper XP disk(s).

DeWitch - 17-6-2008 at 18:52

Quote:
Originally posted by Katzy
Cancel that.

I just saw those awful words "Recovery CD".

You can only do the reinstall with the proper XP disk(s).

yep and I don't have one - was just reading about the Ultimate Boot CD for WIndows (UBCD4W) that Leigh mentioned and that wants one too:{

Katzy - 17-6-2008 at 19:12

Recovery CDs are a bloody con.

If you paid for Windows, Windows is what you should get.

[bad img]http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/rantoff.gif[/bad img]

DeWitch - 17-6-2008 at 19:43

Quote:
Recovery CDs are a bloody con.

If you paid for Windows, Windows is what you should get.

[bad img]http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/rantoff.gif[/bad img]

I know:{
but the last time I got an actual windows CD was 3 PCs ago

Daz - 17-6-2008 at 20:58

Have you changed any hardware in the PC...? (It might explain the nags...?)

DeWitch - 17-6-2008 at 23:19

Quote:
Originally posted by Daz

well the first recovery I forgot to unhook stuff like it said to and got the message so then unhooked all the stuff and did another and got the message:{

Daz - 17-6-2008 at 23:36

Quote:
Originally posted by DeWitch
Quote:
Originally posted by Daz

well the first recovery I forgot to unhook stuff like it said to and got the message so then unhooked all the stuff and did another and got the message:{

I wondered if perhaps you'd changed anything more internally/hardware related, not so much peripherals like printers/scanners etc...?

DeWitch - 18-6-2008 at 00:00

Quote:
Originally posted by Daz
[

I wondered if perhaps you'd changed anything more internally/hardware related, not so much peripherals like printers/scanners etc...?

Do you mean as install or uninstall?
Nothing that I can think of.
Before I did the recovery though I slid my 300GB media drive in to back up to and it came up as all the files on it were corrupt and could not be accessed -
it had worked the day before. So that is added to the heap:{
As far as inside the PC I don't think the case has ever been opened.
DUH Witch here:)

Daz - 18-6-2008 at 00:21

Quote:
Do you mean as install or uninstall?
Nothing that I can think of.
Before I did the recovery though I slid my 300GB media drive in to back up to and it came up as all the files on it were corrupt and could not be accessed -
it had worked the day before. So that is added to the heap:{
As far as inside the PC I don't think the case has ever been opened.
DUH Witch here:)

I didn't mean uninstalling programs, more changing hardware inside the case... But you've answered that now, so that rules out that theory... ;)

You could maybe use the UBCD disc and run a diagnostic on the actual harddrive to make sure there isn't any physical damage on the HDD...?

DeWitch - 18-6-2008 at 00:29

Quote:
Originally posted by Daz

I didn't mean uninstalling programs, more changing hardware inside the case... But you've answered that now, so that rules out that theory... ;)

You could maybe use the UBCD disc and run a diagnostic on the actual harddrive to make sure there isn't any physical damage on the HDD...?

I don't really understand the UBCD that I read about I thought it said you needed your copy of windows to "make the CD"?
and I don't have a copy of windows - also I have media center and don't know how that is going to work if I had a copy of XP that didn't include that or does it ever?
I don't know
right now I am in F1 and it ran the short self-test and came up okay - doing the extended now and it definitely is extended

Daz - 18-6-2008 at 01:08

Quote:
I don't really understand the UBCD that I read about I thought it said you needed your copy of windows to "make the CD"?
and I don't have a copy of windows - also I have media center and don't know how that is going to work if I had a copy of XP that didn't include that or does it ever?
I don't know
right now I am in F1 and it ran the short self-test and came up okay - doing the extended now and it definitely is extended

I don't use UBCD myself, so can't offer any advice on that I'm afraid, I just know that I've heard good things about it....

As for the test, it sounds like the right thing, and yes, the extended check can take ages, especially when it's a large HDD...!

DeWitch - 18-6-2008 at 01:45

Quote:
Originally posted by Daz

I don't use UBCD myself, so can't offer any advice on that I'm afraid, I just know that I've heard good things about it....

As for the test, it sounds like the right thing, and yes, the extended check can take ages, especially when it's a large HDD...!

Well it is down to the last 20% finally but my eyes are closing after very little sleep last night
so guess i will let it finish and see what it says in the morning:)

scholar - 18-6-2008 at 01:57

Have a good rest, Candace. Sweet dreams to you. I hope when the process is finished, it will be good news for you. (I'm not certain whether the best news would be no problems found, or a problem found which you can fix, perhaps with help from the people here.)waveysmiley

I recall fondly that I first got to know you when you were seeking help when you got the newer computer, and were figuring out what to do with it. You, being an American, were often logging on when many of the Brits were beddy-by, and I often saw you and said some encouragement when I didn't have the knowledge to help more.:D :)

LSemmens - 18-6-2008 at 13:23

IIRC, the download ISO is just that, a ready to create, bootable CD. I am aware of the need for BartPE, if you wish to create you own set of tools, but the standard one works fine for me. Try here: UBCD4WIN downloads

DeWitch - 18-6-2008 at 15:53

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
Have a good rest, Candace. Sweet dreams to you. I hope when the process is finished, it will be good news for you. (I'm not certain whether the best news would be no problems found, or a problem found which you can fix, perhaps with help from the people here.)waveysmiley

:)

Thanks dear friend - I did sleep well and the process said all was fine but of course it wasn't:)
I have reformatted all of my old PCs many times and this one once or twice too (as in when I removed the Vista upgrade)
just don't know why it won't work this time
BUT decided to try something else since all is lost anyway I guess and reinstalled the Vista upgrade and have the PC back but with the dreaded Vista
wonder if I will be able to downgrade it back to XP and have it still work?
right now I am pretty tired of messing with it
wish I could get it partitioned to have both XP & Vista but Vista will not let my Partition Magick work:{
HUGZ

DeWitch - 18-6-2008 at 16:02

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
IIRC, the download ISO is just that, a ready to create, bootable CD. I am aware of the need for BartPE, if you wish to create you own set of tools, but the standard one works fine for me. Try here: UBCD4WIN downloads

OH!
that is why I am sometimes known as:
DUH Witch:)
I guess I don't "read & comprehend" like I used to
too many graphics I guess;)

scholar - 18-6-2008 at 16:19

DeWitch, you need not insult yourself.

I am not too shy to ask our people here to repeat things that they have said various times, or to explain them further. (I find that I remember better if I get the idea, instead of just following the steps they say without my comprehending them.)

DeWitch - 18-6-2008 at 17:30

Quote:
DeWitch, you need not insult yourself.

I am not too shy to ask our people here to repeat things that they have said various times, or to explain them further. (I find that I remember better if I get the idea, instead of just following the steps they say without my comprehending them.)

Sometimes I need to laugh at myself
if you knew me purrrrsonally
you would too;)

Katzy - 18-6-2008 at 19:02

If you go to start/run and enter "cmd", you can type into the window that opens "chkdsk C: /f /r"

That should check the disk for errors and repair them.

To check other disks, replace the "C:" with the letter of the drive.

At least, I assume you can do that with *ista. I deleted my install of *ista Ultimate, coz it was horrendous.

Daz - 18-6-2008 at 20:43

I would imagine Vista worked, because it's may of been a full OEM version of Vista, whereas your XP installation is done via the recovery disc/s, which is a totally different way of installing the O/S...

Maybe, during a previous format/install the hidden partition got damaged/changed, hence the problems with the Recovery disc/s...?

Happy to be wrong though.

<My Vista rant>

Vista, providing your hardware is up to it, is a perfectly acceptable O/S. Yes, it's different than XP which we've all become familiar with, but Vista is not as bad as people make out. Infact, once you get used it (that's the hard part) you'll wonder what the fuss was... (Exactly the same scenerio ensured when XP was released, I remember it well...!)

</My Vista rant>

Katzy - 18-6-2008 at 21:01

Funny, that. I fell into XP without a blip, upping from W2K. I used *ista Ultimate for a couple of moths, though.

I abhored it.

Daz - 18-6-2008 at 21:54

Quote:
Funny, that. I fell into XP without a blip, upping from W2K. I used *ista Ultimate for a couple of moths, though.

I abhored it.

I don't know if the KF archives go back that far, or maybe it was back on the old L1/Tiscali boards, but there was plenty of whinging, from many happy converts who use it today...

It wasn't a dig you BTW, sorry if you took it that way...

DeWitch - 18-6-2008 at 22:24

Quote:
Originally posted by Daz
I would imagine Vista worked, because it's may of been a full OEM version of Vista, whereas your XP installation is done via the recovery disc/s, which is a totally different way of installing the O/S...

Maybe, during a previous format/install the hidden partition got damaged/changed, hence the problems with the Recovery disc/s...?

Happy to be wrong though.

<My Vista rant>

Vista, providing your hardware is up to it, is a perfectly acceptable O/S. Yes, it's different than XP which we've all become familiar with, but Vista is not as bad as people make out. Infact, once you get used it (that's the hard part) you'll wonder what the fuss was... (Exactly the same scenerio ensured when XP was released, I remember it well...!)

</My Vista rant>

that could be on the Vista
they told me it was just an upgrade since my PC was purchased just before vista was released.
The recovery cds were made from the original recovery partition when I first got the PC so they should be fine and I had used them before and they worked then or I thought they didtung1
I realize that Vista takes getting use to - been there done that when XP came out and hated that too:)
BUT Vista will not let me use most of my graphics programs:{
PSP 8 will not work and I use it to create PSP scripts that make frames, backgrounds and stationery strips and also tags for my stationery groups - Photo Impact 10 will not work and I use that to do all my graphics for my critterz groups .
I have even heard that PSP X will not work on it and I have tried PSP X2 and do not like it (major resource hog) - plus if you create scripts with the newer PSPs they will not work for the people using the older PSPs - which is most of them.

scholar - 19-6-2008 at 02:37

O dear DeWitch, to get back on track after the thread drift about the merits/disadvantages of Vista vs. XP==

If I understand you right, you did successfully install Vista, and you then hoped you could downgrade back to XP in a fashion similar to what you did once before--but you didn't jump right on that because you were exhausted.

Have you now made an attempt? If so, what happened?

Do you want to spell out the details of the process you used before and intend to use again? It may be that some of our people have suggestions to increase the expectation of success.

Is there anything DeWitch needs to be forewarned about?

DeWitch - 19-6-2008 at 03:22

Quote:
O dear DeWitch, to get back on track after the thread drift about the merits/disadvantages of Vista vs. XP==

If I understand you right, you did successfully install Vista, and you then hoped you could downgrade back to XP in a fashion similar to what you did once before--but you didn't jump right on that because you were exhausted.

Have you now made an attempt? If so, what happened?

Do you want to spell out the details of the process you used before and intend to use again? It may be that some of our people have suggestions to increase the expectation of success.

Is there anything DeWitch needs to be forewarned about?

ha ha
yes I got Vista running and have been playing in there a little -
some of my friends really like Vista and I was trying to see why - of course they are not diehard graphics creating addicts like I am:)
so I have not banished it back to its envelope yet and since I did it before with the recovery disks that did not work this time I don't know if I can send it packing:{

scholar - 19-6-2008 at 03:34

It sounds as if you don't expect it to work, and that is what I would think as well--but I'm not familiar with the Windows Boot CD Leigh has been talking about, nor do I know as much as Daz or Katzy.

Gentlemen (or any others--Quaver deserves recognition for her computer knowledge doffs_cap), what should she do next? If XP would not be restored to action by the recovery CDs before, will they work now, after Vista has successfully worked in between?

If DeWitch is stuck with Vista, is there a way to emulate an older version of Windows to the extent that her PSP 8 will work?

Katzy - 19-6-2008 at 11:09

Quote:
Originally posted by DazIt wasn't a dig you BTW, sorry if you took it that way...

Wasn't remotely taken that way, mate. :D

Daz - 19-6-2008 at 13:50

I would say the Recovery Discs are now coasters, and I'd guess the recovery partition it calls upon is no longer in tact, or has been altered slightly by the Vista install, thus rendering them useless...

I've sent Witchie a PM that may help, when she's considered that, we may be a bit further forward...

LSemmens - 19-6-2008 at 14:28

Your legacy programs may work in "emulation" mode in Vista, but I wouldn't hold my breath. As for "downgrading" to XP, this may be a different problem as a re-format and re-load won't work. You'll need to delete the partitions first, and then boot from your XP CDs. It's a pain, but that's the only way I could reliably downgrade. For that I used the UBCD4Win or a bootable Floppy with fdisk and format, but floppies don't necessarily like large HDDs.

delanti - 19-6-2008 at 18:35

I skipped from Win98SE to Vista. Kinda like trading in the old Chevy for a New Ford. I had to find where all the knobs & switches were but once that was accomplished it is quite comfortable. waveysmiley