Karl`s PC Help Forums

AVG or Kaspersky
Ali Baba - 14-1-2008 at 15:51

I've been running AVG free edition for sometine and its never reported anything. I did an online scan and it reported an infection which AVG still has not picked up.
Which is the better AV software?

Katzy - 14-1-2008 at 16:11

Every person on the net will have a different opinion, on this.

I use the freebie Avira Antivir and it's never, ever let me down.

I used to use AVG, until their servers went AWOL, a while back.

I MUCH prefer Avira.

http://freeav.com/

"Avira AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic" is the freebie.

Daz - 14-1-2008 at 22:13

Eset's NOD32 Is my preferred choice...

Avast is free, and does seem ok...

LSemmens - 15-1-2008 at 13:10

I've used AVG with no issues for a couple of years now. Which online scan reported the infection? Did they offer to Sell you a solution? Sorry if I sound a little sceptical, this sort of scam has been around for some time. If, of course the online scan was from a reputable site, then you do have cause to be concerned.

What other security are you running? Firewall? Anti-spyware? Maybe a HJT log would give Pancake (our resident expert) something to do. If you need help with that, please ask.

Ali Baba - 15-1-2008 at 15:53

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
I've used AVG with no issues for a couple of years now. Which online scan reported the infection? Did they offer to Sell you a solution? Sorry if I sound a little sceptical, this sort of scam has been around for some time. If, of course the online scan was from a reputable site, then you do have cause to be concerned.

What other security are you running? Firewall? Anti-spyware? Maybe a HJT log would give Pancake (our resident expert) something to do. If you need help with that, please ask.

It was Kaspersky. Since than I have instaled spybot, spywareguard and spyblaster.
I'ii do a HJT scan and post the log.
Thanks