Karl`s PC Help Forums

Where the Bible contradicts itself
marymary100 - 16-7-2015 at 22:37

Interesting website

John Barnes - 17-7-2015 at 07:05

We are only allowed to believe the 4 gospels as decreed by the politically motivated Emperor Constantine when he called the conference of Nicaea.
The other lost gospels of Thomas , Peter . and Mary Etc are just false propaganda the council decreed,
. personally I think the lot is all propaganda to subdue a disparate non thinking for themselves population all handed down through the centuries by power cliques but don't tell scholar I said this jmb

(Biblical Gerrymandering)

Katzy - 17-7-2015 at 09:43

With religious belief systems, it seems, to me, that if people wish to believe these things, that's their prerogative. It's when they start telling us why and try to convert others, to their way of thinking, that I get my hackles up.

I've studied the four "official" gospels, at some length. John's makes sense, most of the time. But, do any of them convince me of the existence of the Christian God?

'fraid not.

I suspect that, if I studied the Koran, it would do the same. People will believe what they believe, for whatever reasons. Trying to force someone to believe something is doomed to failure.

The good old babel fish comes to mind... ;)

If truth be told, I do happen to believe i something, which is of a quasi-religious bent. But, it's a rather personal belief, that has been formulated by my life and experiences. To try and explain that belief would be extremely difficult, because I don't think the words exist, to explain it.

So, yes, I have beliefs. But, no way would I try to convert others. :D

LSemmens - 17-7-2015 at 13:11

It might be an interesting waste of time to have a read there.

I do trust, and rely on God, and my experiences have led me into that belief. There are many apparent contradictions in the many, and varied translations of the Biblical Canon, and, like any other work, must be taken in context. e.g. I may state to my son, "You are not to touch alcohol or you will die". Taken on face value, it would seem to say that even touching alcohol is deadly. In context: He has an allergy to alcohol that will kill him. or... son is 14 years old and I am going to give him a hiding if he drinks any because it is illegal and he needs to learn responsibilities for his actions. Shakespeares works if taken out of context, may be a commentary of history.

Theravad - 18-7-2015 at 22:24

The finger that points at the moon is not the moon :-)

LSemmens - 19-7-2015 at 00:24

Are you sure about that, Simon? Some, on here, might choose to argue the point. ;)