Karl`s PC Help Forums

Atheist church
marymary100 - 29-9-2014 at 20:42

http://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2014/sep/29/atheist-church-america-cleveland-sunday-assembly

Quote:

At the weekend, the Sunday Assembly launched new services in 35 cities across the world the largest expansion yet of their 'atheist churches'. Started in January 2013 by British comedians Sanderson Jones and Pippa Evans, the Sunday Assembly seeks to offer the communal, uplifting aspect of church, without any of the God business.

The US has proved one of the most fertile markets for the Sunday Assembly, with 11 cities already hosting events and another 16 launching new services as part of the latest expansion. The Guardian sent Adam Gabbatt to the first service in Cleveland, Ohio, to find out how a godless church works

Nimuae - 29-9-2014 at 20:53

Weird !

marymary100 - 29-9-2014 at 20:56

Very. If you want community without religion join a choir or an allotment.

Dreamweaver - 29-9-2014 at 23:35

The way I see it is, my beliefs (or non) are personal to me, I need no hierarchy to tell me how or why I believe them.

LSemmens - 30-9-2014 at 01:10

Their "assembly" is no different from any other religion. They are religious about being non-religious. Methinks they may protest a little too much. Certainly there is nothing much to differ them from many of the other Theistic assemblies around. They, too, will have their problems, as, where you have a group of people, there will be differences, and problems. It will be interesting to see how well they deal with those ructions as they occur. In a Christian assembly, at least there is a "rule book" (the Bible) that does tend to guide what is, and is not, acceptable. If an Atheist chooses to turn up at their "church" and light up a smoke and have a drink, because you only have one life, and you might as well enjoy it. This may be their prerogative as a non-believer. A greenie, who does not drink or smoke as they think their body is a "temple", is also there, who's to say which is right.

scholar - 30-9-2014 at 05:51

The heart of Christianity is forgiveness (which is God's solution to the problem of sin) and restoration to the personal relationship with God that all human beings are designed to have. The Sunday Assembly has neither.

Nimuae - 30-9-2014 at 06:36

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamweaver
The way I see it is, my beliefs (or non) are personal to me, I need no hierarchy to tell me how or why I believe them.

That is exactly how I feel as well, Dreamweaver.waveysmiley

LSemmens - 30-9-2014 at 10:00

Yes, Scholar, forgiveness is a major factor in Christianity, though, the point of this church is not to celebrate God, but their lack, thereof.

Badgergirl - 30-9-2014 at 15:20

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
Yes, Scholar, forgiveness is a major factor in Christianity, though, the point of this church is not to celebrate God, but their lack, thereof.

But instead it's trying to bring back the sense of community lost through lack of Church attendence.

That's no bad thing.

No point throwing the baby out with the bathwater!

the bear - 30-9-2014 at 17:26

Quote:

I'm with you DW, :)

Regards the Bear waveysmiley

LSemmens - 1-10-2014 at 23:14

Good point, BG. But isn't that what the local pub, footy club, any other club, was also for?

marymary100 - 1-10-2014 at 23:22

Not really. It's about community, charity, singing etc without the need for a God to keep us on track. One of the nicest, kindest women I knew was a humanist. She believed in the goodness of mankind once they realised this is what we get and only we can make it better.

Redwolf5150 - 2-10-2014 at 01:41

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
The heart of Christianity is forgiveness (which is God's solution to the problem of sin) and restoration to the personal relationship with God that all human beings are designed to have. The Sunday Assembly has neither.

So forgiveness is a Christian ONLY trait?

I, and I'm sure others here who are equally "enlightened," would beg to differ.

LSemmens - 2-10-2014 at 10:43

I would hope that other than Christians could forgive. Otherwise we are in deep doo doo! I'd even go so far as to say that even those for whom war is a way of life could forgive, if they chose to.

Badgergirl - 2-10-2014 at 15:35

Quote:

The Sunday Assembly is for people who are Aetheist Non-Muslims, Non-Hindus, Non-Pagans ....

So what they don't believe in is irrelevant really.

To be blunt, if someone isn't religious why should religious affect the way they go about anything?

I'm not worried about my lack of a central belief in Forgiveness (I have a concept of it as useful and healthy but not necessary), so why should it bother me if it's not present a at a Moot, Assembly, Mosque, Temple.....

LSemmens - 3-10-2014 at 10:47

If you weren't religious, in the true sense of the word, then you'd not feel the need for a regular meeting. In this case, religion is confused with theism, the two are quite different. A bloke follows the footy, and goes to every match of his favourite team, is just as religious as the bloke who goes to church (of whatever abomination) every Sunday.

Dreamweaver - 5-10-2014 at 01:32

Quote:
The heart of Christianity is forgiveness.

Any human being can do this without a deity to applaud them.
I'm sorry Scholar but I don't need to follow a religion to believe I am a good, helpful person in society, and I certainly don't need to pray to something to help me get there.

Redwolf5150 - 5-10-2014 at 02:57

Quote:
Quote:
The heart of Christianity is forgiveness.

Any human being can do this without a deity to applaud them.
I'm sorry Scholar but I don't need to follow a religion to believe I am a good, helpful person in society, and I certainly don't need to pray to something to help me get there.

^What she said!^

Redwolf5150 - 5-10-2014 at 15:03

[badimg]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/redwolf5150/God1_zps1d5187e0.jpg[/bad img]