Karl`s PC Help Forums

What the Pope says
Redwolf5150 - 29-11-2013 at 15:02

I think the Catholics got themselves another good one in Francis, IMHO.

[badimg]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/redwolf5150/1PopeFrancis1_zpse2c044b3.jpg[/bad img]

Redwolf5150 - 29-11-2013 at 15:06

[badimg]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/redwolf5150/PopeFrancis2_zpse7ca6099.png[/bad img]

Redwolf5150 - 29-11-2013 at 15:41

He's sure driving the right-wingers batshit crazy

marymary100 - 29-11-2013 at 16:12

I might just turn.

Redwolf5150 - 29-11-2013 at 16:29

[badimg]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/redwolf5150/PopeFrancis3_zpsa55fb4c4.png[/bad img]

Katzy - 29-11-2013 at 20:01

I sure didn't vote Tory. :D

Redwolf5150 - 30-11-2013 at 02:05

[bad img]https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1480646_768989716451714_1560528463_n.jpg[/bad img]

Nimuae - 30-11-2013 at 07:49

He is a good orator - but is he actually doing anything about it?

marymary100 - 30-11-2013 at 08:51

Seems to be. Won't live in the Vatican, walks when he can, sold his few possessions like a bike to feed the poor etc.

Nimuae - 30-11-2013 at 10:55

In that case good for him - and he has gained my respect. Where does he live if not in the vatican?

marymary100 - 30-11-2013 at 13:08

A guest house on Vatican grounds : room 201 - with one bedroom and a small living room for meeting visitors according to the Catholic Times but I also read he was in regular priest accommodation.

Redwolf5150 - 30-11-2013 at 17:01

Yeah, I'd say he's doing something about it.

kewl_glasses

Redwolf5150 - 30-11-2013 at 17:02

A more NEUTRAL account, if you want.

kewl_glasses

Nimuae - 30-11-2013 at 21:13

Sounds like he could be one of the good guys - and he does wear a white hat! I wonder how long 'they' will let him reign.

LSemmens - 1-12-2013 at 00:45

You are right, Nim, "They" are probably very worried. Pope F. is probably the best thing for the RC church since forever.

Redwolf5150 - 1-12-2013 at 15:49

[bad img]https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1454995_679966645370608_334053863_n.jpg[/bad img]

Redwolf5150 - 2-12-2013 at 02:34

POPE FRANCIS SENDS CHARITY OFFICE, SWISS GUARD INTO THE STREETS OF ROME TO HELP POOR

LSemmens - 2-12-2013 at 10:51

Thank you for that link RW. I am not, nor ever have been, a Roman Catholic, but his attitude is much nearer the articles of faith than many of his predecessors.

Redwolf5150 - 2-12-2013 at 14:51

I was raised Episcopalian and was Catholic for a while in the Army when I couldn't find a service in my own faith.

Then I broadened my spiritual horizons beyond sticking to a Dogma.

HOWEVER, I am seriously thinking of sending $10 to the alms-giver's office at the Vatican because I KNOW the money will be put to good use. More so then if it was dropped in a collection plate.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Pope Francis is an example for ALL Christians to follow, IMHO.

Redwolf5150 - 2-12-2013 at 15:19

Stunning Image

"I will wash the feet of others"
No pope had ever done this. On Holy Thursday, March 28, 2013, reflecting a ritual that Jesus washed the apostles' feet before his death, Pope Francis washed the feet of 12 criminal offenders. That included two women, one a Serbian Muslim.

LSemmens - 2-12-2013 at 23:52

BOT! Pleeeze!

I like the image that the new pope is creating for the Church of Rome. I pray that it follows through to the entire church and to future popes. I also pray that some nutter does not take advantage of his openness and take a pot shot at him. It would be sad to see him in a glass cage again.

scholar - 3-12-2013 at 00:15

Christian giving can help the poor, but the Christian ministries which help most also help people toward greater sufficiency. E. g., a ministry in the city near me made an arrangement with a homeless friend whom I was helping, that he would do some work for them in exchange for what they were providing him. He is an alcoholic, and it was important for him to have structure established in his life, and for his time to be mostly filled with useful things. He is talented in carpentry and home remodeling, but he had repeatedly set himself back when he returned to the bottle.

I know of a Christian woman who has discerned that
God's mission for her is to help children in their families. She does things like getting micro-business loans for people in economically depressed countries. For example, a few hundred dollars buys materials that a family makes into brooms. Upon selling the brooms, they had money to buy more materials for more brooms, and to make a payment on the loan, and money for their own livelihood. Of course, you can't have everyone in the town making brooms, and you can't make too many bad loans, so it takes a lot of personal attention to make such an operation work.

The Roman Church has so many millions of people, that it surely includes many who could see that work with the poor is done wisely. Does the Pope personally have such talents? He doesn't have to, if he is willing to follow the advice of people who do have such knowledge.

LSemmens - 3-12-2013 at 00:29

The rot often starts at the top so a Pope who can motivate his underlings to be more community minded is a good thing. It matters not whether he has the "credentials" to implement the "nuts and bolts", but, as long as he "practises what he preaches"; which he certainly appears to be doing at the moment.

Redwolf5150 - 3-12-2013 at 00:46

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
BOT! Pleeeze!

I like the image that the new pope is creating for the Church of Rome. I pray that it follows through to the entire church and to future popes. I also pray that some nutter does not take advantage of his openness and take a pot shot at him. It would be sad to see him in a glass cage again.

:clap):clap):clap):clap):clap):clap):clap):clap):clap):clap)

I would rather see the Pontiff use his considerable influence to try to turn our society that worships a new golden calf in the form of the Almighty Dollar.

I don't care if he has never studied a moment of economic theory, he is making such an effort.

That's more than MANY rich so-called "job creators" are doing with THEIR wealth.

scholar - 3-12-2013 at 01:37

"The Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost." Jesus identifies this as His mission, and His salvation comes to the lives of individuals when they enter a relationship of faith (trust) in Him.

If the Church encourages good deeds without carrying out its mission of bringing people to faith in Jesus, it fails utterly.

But, if Christians do not act in love and kindness to people, they are not following the Bible, either. It is not either-or, but both-and.

scholar - 3-12-2013 at 22:11

The Bishop of Rome used to be a bouncer!

Not that there is anything wrong with that. But, it would not have been among my first ten guesses.:):P

Redwolf5150 - 3-12-2013 at 22:38

I have worked as a bouncer before.

marymary100 - 3-12-2013 at 23:36

I have spoken to bouncers - and I would speak to this Pope. My daughter's group was granted an audience with the previous one in 2008 (?) and there was a certain excitement I seem to recall but people her age left the faith in droves under Benedict and just possibly will return under this one and if that is the case, then he will have done his job and secured the future of Catholicism. If not, the alleged predictions of the fall of the church will come to pass.

Redwolf5150 - 4-12-2013 at 03:43

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
The Bishop of Rome used to be a bouncer!

Not that there is anything wrong with that. But, it would not have been among my first ten guesses.:):P

Gee, and who would have thought "The Son of God" would have been a carpenter?

Isn't it ironic, don't ya think?

LSemmens - 5-12-2013 at 09:46

It just goes to show that "God is no respecter of persons".

scholar - 6-12-2013 at 03:13

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
I have spoken to bouncers - and I would speak to this Pope. My daughter's group was granted an audience with the previous one in 2008 (?) and there was a certain excitement I seem to recall but people her age left the faith in droves under Benedict and just possibly will return under this one and if that is the case, then he will have done his job and secured the future of Catholicism. If not, the alleged predictions of the fall of the church will come to pass.

The Bishop of Rome's job is not to be popular, or to secure the future of Catholicism. He is supposed to be faithful to the Lord and His teachings, whether they are popular or not.

Redwolf5150 - 6-12-2013 at 03:31

Quote:
Quote:

The Bishop of Rome's job is not to be popular, or to secure the future of Catholicism. He is supposed to be faithful to the Lord and His teachings, whether they are popular or not.

What if what Pope Francis is doing is the teaching he is supposed to be "faithful" to?

scholar - 6-12-2013 at 21:30

Quote:
Originally posted by Redwolf5150
Quote:
Quote:

What if what Pope Francis is doing is the teaching he is supposed to be "faithful" to?

If that were granted, he is doing well.

The heart of the Christian teaching is forgiveness for sin and reconciliation toward God through trusting Jesus as Savior and Lord. Acts of love toward others flow from the new, better nature given by the Holy Spirit to those who are restored to God, and are an expression of thanks to God. The acts of love are important, but they are only part of the teaching. Many religions urge good deeds, but miss their basis, which is repentance and forgiveness made possible by Jesus who died in our place, for us, on the cross, and rose again.

scholar - 8-12-2013 at 02:09

Article, "What the Pope Is Really Saying"

Quote:
It's not a political agenda -- it's an evangelical one. If you have actual hope -- that there is endless mercy and justice for those who seek it, that there is a redeeming love available for all, that your neighbor truly is your brother -- there's got to be a joy about you, one you're going to want to share in service, fellowship and charity. That's not condemning you to hell for having strong opinions about the priorities of the federal budget, but reminding us all of the meaning of words and lives. And if you believe it -- that the human person is a beloved treasure of the Creator -- it is the perfect gift to bring joy to the world.

Redwolf5150 - 8-12-2013 at 02:11

And the problem you have with this is what?

scholar - 8-12-2013 at 03:33

Quote:
Originally posted by Redwolf5150
And the problem you have with this is what?

I didn't say I have a problem with it, Redwolf. It's good. Pay attention.waveysmiley

Redwolf5150 - 12-12-2013 at 05:38

“The popes have spoken of human ecology, closely linked to environmental ecology. We are living in a time of crisis: we see this in the environment, but above all we see this in mankind … Man is not in charge today, money is in charge, money rules. God our Father did not give the task of caring for the earth to money, but to us, to men and women: we have this task! Instead, men and women are sacrificed to the idols of profit and consumption: it is the ‘culture of waste.’”
~ Pope Francis, June 2013

marymary100 - 12-12-2013 at 07:02

Person of the year - must be all that tweeting.