Karl`s PC Help Forums

Roman Catholic priests forbidden to celebrate Mass for those serving in the U.S. military.
scholar - 5-10-2013 at 22:52

During the partial government shut-down, GS and contracted Roman Catholic priests have been forbidden to celebrate Mass for those in the military, even if they are willing to do so on a voluntary, unpaid basis. If they come onto a military base and hold Mass, which Canon Law requires for Catholics on Sunday, they can be arrested.:(

Here
and here

This essentially puts the government between servicemen and God, withholding a religious experience that is important to all Roman Catholics. (I do not have information as to whether those of other Christian denominations are being harmed in the practice of their faith.)

Those who serve in the military do so at some personal sacrifice. Those in control of the military ought not be using their authority to harm them in their religious lives.

marymary100 - 5-10-2013 at 23:05

I don't really think this is the top priority concern about your government being unable to work together to balance their budget. A 30 second conversation at best.

LSemmens - 6-10-2013 at 00:14

What happened to separation of Church and State? Celebrating Mass is hardly going to send the Government broke, is it?

scholar - 6-10-2013 at 01:19

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
What happened to separation of Church and State? Celebrating Mass is hardly going to send the Government broke, is it?

The news is full of examples where the executive branch--held by the Democrats--is ordering measures to make life worse for people, and blaming it on the government shut-down, for which they blame the Republicans.

Supposedly, essential government services are supposed to be maintained, but non-essential ones shut down, because authorization to finance them has expired. An example of how the Obama administration is making it as painful as possible: The World War II memorial in Washington is an example: it is a physical thing on public property. Anyone could walk up to it and look at it, without any need for personel to help them. But, for this time of "shut down," it has been fenced off so that people (including WWII vets) who have traveled to Washington to view the memorial cannot approach it.

An example of an "essential" government service, in Obama's opinion, is the artist who is painting his official portrait. Another example is the staff of White House chefs.

But--the priests and Mass are a religious question. Does the government have the right to order priests to stop fulfilling their duties to God? Does the government have a right to order Roman Catholic servicement to sin? No!

Redwolf5150 - 6-10-2013 at 02:35

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
Quote:

The news is full of examples where the executive branch--held by the Democrats--is ordering measures to make life worse for people, and blaming it on the government shut-down, for which they blame the Republicans.

Supposedly, essential government services are supposed to be maintained, but non-essential ones shut down, because authorization to finance them has expired. An example of how the Obama administration is making it as painful as possible: The World War II memorial in Washington is an example: it is a physical thing on public property. Anyone could walk up to it and look at it, without any need for personel to help them. But, for this time of "shut down," it has been fenced off so that people (including WWII vets) who have traveled to Washington to view the memorial cannot approach it.

An example of an "essential" government service, in Obama's opinion, is the artist who is painting his official portrait. Another example is the staff of White House chefs.

But--the priests and Mass are a religious question. Does the government have the right to order priests to stop fulfilling their duties to God? Does the government have a right to order Roman Catholic servicement to sin? No!

[bad img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/redwolf5150/93013-1_0090DarthBunnyInvalidargument_zps147b7b44.jpg[/bad img]

Nimuae - 6-10-2013 at 07:15

The government should not interfere with religious rights - especially if the RC Priests are willing to perform without pay.

Is it just the RCs ? How are other religions being dealt with ?

Could not the servicemen leave the base to attend a church in town ?

marymary100 - 6-10-2013 at 08:42

Please stop posting political drivel where the religious drivel is supposed to be scholar and red.

John_Little - 6-10-2013 at 08:51

Quote:

That's a good point. But are we sure the story didn't come from the American version of UKIP?

LSemmens - 6-10-2013 at 10:47

Unfortunately, Mary, it would appear to be a combination of religious and political drivel combined. The strange thing about the politics of this situation is that the government do not seem to be able to work out what is costing them money and what isn't.

scholar - 6-10-2013 at 22:18

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Nimuae
The government should not interfere with religious rights - especially if the RC Priests are willing to perform without pay.

I agree.

Is it just the RCs ? How are other religions being dealt with ?

I thought of that, too, and I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop, so to speak.
I think this maltreatment of Roman Catholics came to light in the press because they are the largest Christian denomination, AND because the obligation to attend Mass is as plain as the written Canon Law. A Baptist or Pentecostal Christian might feel as strongly that he wants to attend a Christian service on Sunday, but he can't point to an authority that says he MUST do so, and that the service must be led by an ordained priest. Most Protestants do not require that the Sunday service include the Sacrament of the Altar, either.
So, I've been wondering if there is any definite religious requirement that the government might block during the financial impass.

Quote:
Could not the servicemen leave the base to attend a church in town ?

Servicemen are not allowed to leave the base whenever they wish, and they don't have personal transportation, either. Some might manage it, but it would be difficult. It may be that the GS and contract priests were arranged in the first place because other ways were too difficult.

marymary100 - 6-10-2013 at 22:39

Catholics can pray anytime they like without the need for a priest. You think God wouldn't forgive the omission of the mass?

scholar - 6-10-2013 at 23:18

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
Catholics can pray anytime they like without the need for a priest. You think God wouldn't forgive the omission of the mass?

God would and has forgiven murder--but that doesn't mean it is OK to murder, or that the government should set up situations that prevent a Christian from avoiding murder.

And, the present lack of government spending authority does not require that the military prevent priests from celebrating Mass. This is wrong AND stupid.

marymary100 - 7-10-2013 at 06:03

Lots of stupid in America.

Redwolf5150 - 7-10-2013 at 15:13

Quote:
Lots of stupid in America.

I should know.

I'm surrounded by it up here.

lips_sealed

Redwolf5150 - 7-10-2013 at 18:47

Quote:
Please stop posting political drivel where the religious drivel is supposed to be scholar and red.

What's I say that was political?

:P

LSemmens - 8-10-2013 at 00:53

The bunny's a republican? :D