Karl`s PC Help Forums

Quick, follow the Pope's tweets
marymary100 - 16-7-2013 at 18:21

and earn time off purgatory

giron - 16-7-2013 at 18:43

I'm sure all the pervy priests will be avidly tweeting in a vain attempt to be excused from their heinous crimes.

Katzy - 16-7-2013 at 19:24

That just kinda confirmed what I already thought about the Roman church, really...

LSemmens - 17-7-2013 at 00:40

I thought one of the Popes decreed that Purgatory did not exist, but, apparently I am wrong.

John Barnes - 28-7-2013 at 03:35

This is the 21st century not the 15 th, Ill Papa needs to realise this type of statement will no longer wash with the practical minds of more educated people in this century, or do people love to be dominated and brainwashed by this type of propaganda expounded by a MAN born who knows nothing about what happens after death than any other person alive today, it is laughable if it was written without any valid proven fact behind his tweet. jmb

scholar - 28-7-2013 at 19:25

I recall Dr. Martin Luther's logic, with respect to indulgences. He said that, if the Pope had the authority to reduce sentences in purgatory or release souls from its torment, then surely the Pope would release everybody immediately.

marymary100 - 28-7-2013 at 19:30

Why would he? That makes little sense.

scholar - 28-7-2013 at 20:08

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
Why would he? That makes little sense.

Jesus paid the debt for all sins, that anyone could be forgiven.

If the Pope could say, of one in purgatory, "Yes, you're forgiven, and can go to heaven without further suffering" or "No, I want you to stay and suffer more"--it would make sense for a Pope with love and kindness in his heart to choose to release the soul from purgatory into heaven.

In the circumstance which Luther addressed, the theory was that the Pope could pardon or commute sentences to purgatory, and he would do so as a reward for buying an Indulgence. Luther said that, if such were so, the Pope would not withhold mercy for the sake of money.

This was part of the 95 Theses, the statements for debate which Luther posted on the church door at Wittenberg.

marymary100 - 28-7-2013 at 21:31

Why would anyone think they could unpick what God had decided to do?

scholar - 28-7-2013 at 22:19

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
Why would anyone think they could unpick what God had decided to do?

Council-of-Trent Roman Catholics think of the Pope as a stand-in for God in many ways. If you first hold to that idea, it isn't a big jump to think that God might have His stand-in grant clemency.

But, Luther's point was more in line with the idea that it would be ridiculous to think that a Poke, having such a power to free people, would restrict its use to those who would buy it. If he had it, Luther reasoned, he would give it away--so he must not have it in the first place (with respect to purgatory, at least).

marymary100 - 28-7-2013 at 22:31

Luther was just another theologian postulating theories and having circular arguments though wasn't he? His biggest contribution as far as I'm concerned was his translating the bible into the vernacular so that it was more widely accessible and so that those who kept knowledge for themselves to retain power were gradually seen as an irrelevance.

LSemmens - 29-7-2013 at 01:09

Regardless of that, Luther did postulate some powerful questions, which, as he claimed, were points for discussion. I don't think he was making any statements or presenting any arguments for, or against, any of the 95 questions.

The Roman Catholic Church needed to be questioned based upon the validity of many of its doctrines at the time.

A faith that will not stand up to scrutiny is no faith at all.

marymary100 - 29-7-2013 at 09:00

Entirely so.

Badgergirl - 2-8-2013 at 20:43

Has anyone seen "Dogma"?

It's a Kevin Smith movie with Matt Damon and Ben Affleck playing two fallen angels (one the Angel of Death) sentenced to eternity in Wisconsin for challenging God.

When the a Catholic Bishop decides to re-brand the Church, he declares one one day anyone who passes the archway of a particular newly consecrated Church in New Jersey will be absolved of all sin. (Plenary Indulgence)

The Angels get the idea to travel to the archway, but must be stopped by other heavenly beings or they will un-do God's word and un-make reality.

That sound dodgy?...well if you haven't seen the film, I've just made it sound ether really fun...or dogmatically inaccurate.
So watch the film and I won't spoil how the problem is solved!

Kevin Smith is Roman Catholic who knows his stuff, and his love for the Church is apparent in the movie...but you may have to squint to see it if you don't like toilet humour!

LSemmens - 3-8-2013 at 01:47

Sounds like an interesting movie, BG, good for a laugh.