Karl`s PC Help Forums

Quakers
marymary100 - 9-7-2013 at 00:14

The more I look into the Quaker religion or the Society of Friends as they are sometimes called, the more credible they seem to me. Traditional British firms Fry's, Rowantree, Terry's, Clarks and various financial institutions were started by Quakers and their social responsibility and attitude to a personal relationship with God is quite admirable. I especially like their track record in abolition, prison reform and the improvement of the lives of workers. The last time I was in Durham they were silently protesting the invasion of Iraq so they continue to draw attention to important issues while not drawing attention to themselves. I also like the idea of silence while congregating to think about God unless especially moved by God to speak.

My daughter's friend is Jewish but went to a good Quaker school in the US. She has decided when she marries next year to have a mostly silent wedding, so far for sure we know there will be no music.

LSemmens - 9-7-2013 at 07:26

The Quakers do have some quirks, but, in many ways not so much difference from any other abomdenomination. Their silent stance on many issues says a lot more for them than some other groups protesting the same cause.

the bear - 10-7-2013 at 23:20

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
The more I look into the Quaker religion or the Society of Friends as they are sometimes called, the more credible they seem to me. Traditional British firms Fry's, Rowantree, Terry's, Clarks and various financial institutions were started by Quakers and their social responsibility and attitude to a personal relationship with God is quite admirable. I especially like their track record in abolition, prison reform and the improvement of the lives of workers. The last time I was in Durham they were silently protesting the invasion of Iraq so they continue to draw attention to important issues while not drawing attention to themselves. I also like the idea of silence while congregating to think about God unless especially moved by God to speak.

My daughter's friend is Jewish but went to a good Quaker school in the US. She has decided when she marries next year to have a mostly silent wedding, so far for sure we know there will be no music.

They make great porridge as well

Regards the Bear

scholar - 11-7-2013 at 17:53

Sitting in sllence, waiting for inner illumination, does not lend itself to increasing in knowledge, like Bible study and instruction do.

I have a friend named John who gets into a world of trouble when he listens to his inner voices. They assert identities for themselves and tell him to do things.

marymary100 - 11-7-2013 at 18:05

Yes, but he's mentally unstable...he hears voices that tell him to do things. (And they say Americans don't get irony :D)

Badgergirl - 14-7-2013 at 21:18

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
Sitting in sllence, waiting for inner illumination, does not lend itself to increasing in knowledge, like Bible study and instruction do.

I have a friend named John who gets into a world of trouble when he listens to his inner voices. They assert identities for themselves and tell him to do things.

Quakers read their bibles and discuss what's in them.
Their collective worship sessions are silent though.

Also, there's only so many times you can read the same book and come up with new ideas without sounding really really boring.

scholar - 15-7-2013 at 20:17

Quote:
Originally posted by Badgergirl
Also, there's only so many times you can read the same book and come up with new ideas without sounding really really boring.

I disagree.

The large amount and variety of material in the Bible is such that I still find myself led to new and exciting ideas and greater knowledge in its study. This especially happens when different passages are laid side by side for consideration at the same time, in a way that one illuminates the other. It also happens when additional language knowledge or background knowledge makes understanding more complete.

I'll give you an example that comes to mind. For years, in my youth, I read of evil ones in the Bible being paid back double for their evil deeds. My shallow understanding was that they would be paid back twice the harm they had done.

But, the image actually means that their punishment would be double, i.e. a duplicate of the harm they had done. In this way, the scales of justice would exactly balance. So, when some imagery makes the punishment sound horrible, it really tells us that the bad we do is more horrible than we realize. Without forgiveness, we would be in awful trouble indeed.shocked_yellowshocked_yellowshocked_yellow

Katzy - 16-7-2013 at 19:27

I've read the NIV study bible five times.

Two things I'd maintain as "fact".

The old Israelites were mental. God chose them and they spat in his face HOW many times?"?

Whoever wrote Revelations had smoked something REALLY heavy. ;)

Nimuae - 9-9-2013 at 20:44

Quote:
Originally posted by Katzy

May I quote you on that next time the JWs come around ?

scholar - 9-9-2013 at 23:52

Quote:
Originally posted by Katzy
I've read the NIV study bible five times.
Well done. doffs_cap
Quote:

Two things I'd maintain as "fact".

The old Israelites were mental. God chose them and they spat in his face HOW many times?"?

That is a major sub-plot of the Old Testament: The Lord is patient, merciful, and loving beyond human experience. He still seeks man's repentance and forgiveness, in spite of everything.

Quote:

Revelation is spiritual truth in apocalyptic imagery. I think the over-the-top special effects movies of our time give us a similar experience. In real life, good and evil often look alike to our eyes, for now--the guy who really leads in doing good things might look just like someone else who says he is doing good, but who actually uses the money for himself and exploits the trust of those around him. In Revelation, monstrously evil things in life actually look like monsters, and the Savior's appearance is like some glowing superhero.;)