Karl`s PC Help Forums

Comments about the Archbishop and Sharia (and some about Great Britain's influence on the world)
scholar - 15-2-2008 at 16:12

Mark Steyn thinks the Anglican bishop is badly mistaken in his Sharia comments.
He thinks the Anglican Church in Nigeria has a much better understanding of the dangerous nature of Sharia.

What do you think of his remarks? (Note: the early part of the interview by Hugh Hewitt is on another topic.)

janet - 15-2-2008 at 17:00

Why is this in a new thread rather than the already existing one on this subject?

scholar - 15-2-2008 at 17:13

Quote:
Originally posted by janet
Why is this in a new thread rather than the already existing one on this subject?
I didn't know there was already a thread about the Hewitt's interview with Steyn. Since it happened just yesterday, I thought I was the first to post about it.:)

janet - 15-2-2008 at 18:18

About the Archbishop's comments, scholar. Never mind.

scholar - 15-2-2008 at 20:37

Steyn talks about what a wonderful influence that Great Britain has been on the world--its cultural/language influence, its parlimentary structure, its common law. He admires Britain for resisting both fascism and communism. Even on the part of the interview that touches on the Archbishop of Canterbury's remarks, he praises the Anglican church in Nigeria as an example of a thriving, healthy church.

"There are more Anglicans at Church in Nigeria every Sunday morning than there are in the U.S. and Canada and Britain combined.":o

SRD - 15-2-2008 at 21:20

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
Steyn talks about what a wonderful influence that Great Britain has been on the world--its cultural/language influence, its parlimentary structure, its common law. He admires Britain for resisting both fascism and communism. Even on the part of the interview that touches on the Archbishop of Canterbury's remarks, he praises the Anglican church in Nigeria as an example of a thriving, healthy church.

"There are more Anglicans at Church in Nigeria every Sunday morning than there are in the U.S. and Canada and Britain combined.":o
Ah, but who's funding them?

John Barnes - 15-2-2008 at 22:59

Quote from Scholar,

Steyn talks about what a wonderful influence that Great Britain has been on the world--its cultural/language influence,

The wife and I was just talking the other day, and we tried to count up how many countries England and later Britain has warred with,

Japan
Norway Viking times
Denmark
Holland
France
Spain
Italy
the Balkan countries
Greece
Turkey
Arabs
and the Isrealis (pre 1948)
Egypt
warred in the Sudan
and south Africa
and most colonies in Africa
India
China
Russia
Germany
Austria
Romania
Argentina
USA
and in Canada
and in Australia
and in New Zealand
Iraq
Afghanistan
Ireland
Wales and Scotland
there will more I am sure but this list will be an example of cultural Britain,

so when Scholar states we brought culture we also brought slavery and War, I think we are probably the most war like nation in the World judging by that list, jmb

victor - 16-2-2008 at 00:26

Quote:
Originally posted by John Barnes
Quote from Scholar,

Steyn talks about what a wonderful influence that Great Britain has been on the world--its cultural/language influence,

The wife and I was just talking the other day, and we tried to count up how many countries England and later Britain has warred with,

Japan
Norway Viking times
Denmark
Holland
France
Spain
Italy
the Balkan countries
Greece
Turkey
Arabs
and the Isrealis (pre 1948)
Egypt
warred in the Sudan
and south Africa
and most colonies in Africa
India
China
Russia
Germany
Austria
Romania
Argentina
USA
and in Canada
and in Australia
and in New Zealand
Iraq
Afghanistan
Ireland
Wales and Scotland
there will more I am sure but this list will be an example of cultural Britain,

so when Scholar states we brought culture we also brought slavery and War, I think we are probably the most war like nation in the World judging by that list, jmb

But John most times they started it, and back in history the eastern countries were were raiding this one for slaves

SRD - 16-2-2008 at 08:04

Back in the day (doncha just hate that phrase) war was the way to be top dog in the commercial world, nowadays we realise that there is more profit in peace.

janet - 16-2-2008 at 11:18

I'm not sure anyone ever raided the UK for slaves - it was pretty much the other way round, I think.

LSemmens - 16-2-2008 at 11:53

Sorry, Victor, Australia has never been at war against England, we have been to war with England and many other allies, too.

SRD - 16-2-2008 at 12:44

Quote:
I'm not sure anyone ever raided the UK for slaves - it was pretty much the other way round, I think.
The Romans, the Scandinavians, even the French put British sailors into the galleys during the Napoleonic wars.

SRD - 16-2-2008 at 12:45

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
Sorry, Victor, Australia has never been at war against England, we have been to war with England and many other allies, too.
We made quite a mess of the aborigines, whether that counts as war of course is another matter.

LSemmens - 17-2-2008 at 10:34

Just because you invaded, does not mean that you declared war. The best that you could claim were squatter's rights.

janet - 17-2-2008 at 11:59

Quote:
Originally posted by SRD
Quote:
The Romans, the Scandinavians, even the French put British sailors into the galleys during the Napoleonic wars.

And the British put American sailors in their ships, as well. :}

SRD - 17-2-2008 at 12:47

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by SRD
Quote:

And the British put American sailors in their ships, as well. :}
No argument, but you originally said that no-one had raided Britain for slaves and I was pointing out the inaccuracy of that remark.

janet - 17-2-2008 at 12:50

To be fair, what I said was that I wasn't sure anyone had :)