Karl`s PC Help Forums

Sharia law in the UK is unavoidable!
marymary100 - 7-2-2008 at 14:23

Oh really?

Well I moved away from the Middle East get away from it.

I, personally, won't buy into it no matter how much the population statistics shift in favour of Islam. I'm quite content with the legal system we have.

Do you think that the Arhcbishop's comments are helpful or a hindrance towards greater social cohesion?

SRD - 7-2-2008 at 15:12

Again I think that the headlines belie the whole truth. In the interview I heard the archbishop said that he thought that same rules that apply to Judaism should apply to Islam, I must admit that I didn't know that Jews could decide to use their own courts for such things as domestic disputes/divorces etc. and I'm not sure I'm completely in agreement with it, but the implication is that you can choose to be judged in such a court but this doesn't mean that you can't then apply to the normal courts should you wish.

Dreamweaver - 7-2-2008 at 15:31

In this report here it tells us it's already happening.

My worry is rich families will simply pay people off for their family indiscretions.

Quote:
Islamic and Jewish law remains confined to civil matters. But the BBC's Law in Action programme has learned that the Somali court hears criminal cases too.

One of the most serious cases it has dealt with was the "trial" of a group of young men accused of stabbing a fellow Somali.

"When the suspects were released on bail by the police, we got the witnesses and families together for a hearing," says Aydarus. "The accused men admitted their guilt and apologised. Their fathers and uncles agreed compensation."

marymary100 - 7-2-2008 at 15:43

The law of a land should be universal in my opinion -not one law for some and a different one for others. We shouldn't be able to pick and choose.

Redwolf5150 - 7-2-2008 at 15:43

They better not try that HERE!

The Wisconsin Rednecks would grab their boomsticks and make short work of the troublemakers.

I say you want to live under Islamic law and not the laws of the U.S. you should move your A$$ to an ISLAMIC COUNTRY!

Sorry, residual Wednesday affect as it was a REAL rough day.

kewl_glasses

Redwolf5150 - 7-2-2008 at 15:44

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
The law of a land should be universal in my opinion -not one law for some and a different one for others. We shouldn't be able to pick and choose.

Amen sister!

kewl_glasses

marymary100 - 7-2-2008 at 15:47

Right on brother.................;)

Badgergirl - 7-2-2008 at 20:33

When in Rome....

And we 'aint in Rome, We're Here! And here says the law goes for everyone!

Dreamweaver - 7-2-2008 at 22:45

Quote:
Originally posted by Redwolf5150
They better not try that HERE!

The Wisconsin Rednecks would grab their boomsticks and make short work of the troublemakers.

I say you want to live under Islamic law and not the laws of the U.S. you should move your A$$ to an ISLAMIC COUNTRY!

Sorry, residual Wednesday affect as it was a REAL rough day.

kewl_glasses

I think this gent sums it up(both for the UK and USA) TBH

Youtube

Badgergirl - 8-2-2008 at 00:01

Well, it's a two way thing really. If enough people were annoyed enough, then they are entitled to find another cab. The Somalian Cabbie would soon loose business! A lot of people buy alcahol at airports.

As for sharia law, I think the guy in the video is right. By all means practice it for yourself, but the moment it imposes a law that contradicts one of your host country, then you are in the wrong.

I'd extend this to include Muslims imposing laws on eachother, without consent. It's hard to find out how many women in the UK Choose cover themselves entirely, and how many have had this imposed upon them by family and the community as a whole.

scholar - 8-2-2008 at 03:10

Redwolf, I've been told Sharia Law dominates in a suburb of Detroit which was bought by Muslims.:(

Redwolf5150 - 8-2-2008 at 04:27

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
Redwolf, I've been told Sharia Law dominates in a suburb of Detroit which was bought by Muslims.:(

Detroit is in Michigan, not Wisconsin.

They'll do anything stupid in Michigan.

They elected John Engler to three terms as governor, after all.

nananana

scholar - 8-2-2008 at 04:42

I stand corrected. You did say "Wisconsin Rednecks." kewl_glasseskewl_glasses

scholar - 8-2-2008 at 04:55

In the US, would binding arbitration be comparable? I understand two sides to a dispute can agree, in advance, to abide by the decision of another party.

I've only heard a little of this. Perhaps someone with experience would care to tell me more. :)

marymary100 - 8-2-2008 at 10:09

I think that a country that has set the precedent of trial by tv judges can't argue against other private arrangments being made which have the agreement to be bound by the decision prior to a trial.

marymary100 - 9-2-2008 at 11:47

How Sharia law works in other countries

janet - 9-2-2008 at 19:28

The archbishop has stirred up a storm and is trying to sort it out...and is under pressure to resign

I don't think (personally) he should resign over the remarks but I also can't believe he was so naive that he didn't realise what his remarks would cause...

If he IS that out of touch with the country, there's a serious problem. I'm not sure being in touch with the country is part of his job or enough a part of his job to force his resignation but it's still worrying.

victor - 9-2-2008 at 19:38

Very interesting article in the Daily Mail on Shari law.
Man hits another man over the head with iron bar and puts him in hospital, offender is made to apologise and he and his family club together and pay the injured party 10,000 with the proviso that he does not go to the police.
One thing in this case only the attacker was Muslim.

Theravad - 9-2-2008 at 21:34

Quote:
Originally posted by janet

I don't think (personally) he should resign over the remarks but I also can't believe he was so naive that he didn't realise what his remarks would cause...

I read his whole speech; the press have over-egged it a bit but he is still a class one muppet and this could be the straw that breaks the camels back.

The AB of York is far clearer in his message and promotion of the good book :-) Time for a change maybee.

T

marymary100 - 9-2-2008 at 22:28

One of the synod is calling for his resignation and saying he'd be better suited as a professor. Well, why not? Clear the way fo someone of firmer faith perhaps.

janet - 9-2-2008 at 23:00

I think he was a professor before he became ABC?

marymary100 - 9-2-2008 at 23:03

Possibly. It's not my church so I'm not sure. I think it's true that the church in England has enough problems of their own to sort out before they start getting involved in other people's beliefs.

janet - 9-2-2008 at 23:07

To be fair, I don't think he was trying to do that - I think he was trying to mend bridges, etc.

And I've certainly done much the same - we've probably all put our foot in things at one time or another.

The difference is, I just embarrassed myself when I did it, rather than the entire denomination which I lead...

I feel for the man but really, the naivete is rather unbelievable. (His, I mean!).

Redwolf5150 - 9-2-2008 at 23:46

Quote:
I think that a country that has set the precedent of trial by tv judges can't argue against other private arrangments being made which have the agreement to be bound by the decision prior to a trial.

Least our judges -- television or otherwise -- don't wear powdered wigs!

nananana

victor - 10-2-2008 at 00:31

Ouch!

marymary100 - 10-2-2008 at 00:42

Last time I was in court, there wasn't a wig in sight.

Redwolf5150 - 10-2-2008 at 00:55

Quote:
Last time I was in court, there wasn't a wig in sight.

You check ALL the ladies?

roffle

marymary100 - 10-2-2008 at 01:06

I don't check out women ..............

Redwolf5150 - 10-2-2008 at 01:11

Quote:
I don't check out women ..............

Even in red wigs?

roffle

SRD - 10-2-2008 at 08:52

Ok you lot, what is this joke about red wigs?

marymary100 - 10-2-2008 at 09:18

Runny liked women with red hair. He liked to think that I wore a red wig for some reason.

LSemmens - 10-2-2008 at 11:45

Ah, but you did, didn't you? setteehidey

Whilst It was foolish of the ABC to make such comments, I think that he'd be a bigger fool if he failed to reply to his critics. If he continues to defend his stance without valid explanation, then his tenure should be terminated and another anointed in his place. Should he be re-intstated as an academic could be another topic for discussion.

marymary100 - 11-2-2008 at 15:48

Well that's interesting. The AoC thinks it's his duty to speak out on behalf of other religions. here

Do you agree that that is part of his role?

Badgergirl - 11-2-2008 at 19:52

Quote:
Well that's interesting. The AoC thinks it's his duty to speak out on behalf of other religions. here

Do you agree that that is part of his role?

Quite Simply, No.

He's got enough trouble sorting out the 80 million or so Anglicans!
It's plain arrogance to make onself the spokesperson for Islamic issues as well. Patronising if you ask me!

marymary100 - 11-2-2008 at 19:53

That's what I thought. I've been wrong before though.

Redwolf5150 - 12-2-2008 at 00:55

How is the Archbishop on the subject of red wigs?

roffle

LSemmens - 12-2-2008 at 11:01

He is meant to be the leader of his sect. As such, he needs to show some leadership and show the 80 mil or so how to live a Christ like life. Christ certainly did not shy away from religious discussions, in most cases, he decried the sham that the leadership of the day were. I wonder what he would make of the AoC today.

Nimuae - 27-3-2008 at 00:26

Quote:

I totally agree with you. Anyone who comes here should be prepared to abide by our laws - as we would if we went to another country.

SRD - 27-3-2008 at 07:52

Quote:
Originally posted by Nimuae
Quote:

I totally agree with you. Anyone who comes here should be prepared to abide by our laws - as we would if we went to another country.
How about following the traditions of the countries we visit or emigrate to?

janet - 27-3-2008 at 09:00

Good point, SRD. And speaking the language of countries we visit, live in for a while, etc.?

LSemmens - 27-3-2008 at 12:28

imwithstoopid

If we choose to live in a country, we are choosing to abide by that Country's laws and customs. That means we learn to communicate in the common vernacular and abide by the local customs and laws. If we do not accept that, then we'd be best going home!

janet - 27-3-2008 at 12:29

Um, thanks, Leigh.... I think.

Nimuae - 27-3-2008 at 13:20

Quote:
Originally posted by SRD
Quote:
Quote:

How about following the traditions of the countries we visit or emigrate to?

That is what I said " as we would if we went to another country."

A couple of years ago I was offered a very tempting teaching post in Bangladesh, but - I did my homework on the civil laws, the cultural laws, etc., found the latter to be very strict, especially for women, and decided that I would not be willing to abide by them - even for a one year contract - so I did not go.

In 2004 I spent five weeks in India. Again - I did my home work. Their civil laws are much the same as ours - so no problem. Their cultural laws are quite prescriptive for their own populace, but are more flexible for visitors. Even so - I made sure that I did not use my left hand when handling food, I did not wear outdoor shoes indoors, I removed shoes and covered my hair when in a temple/mosque/gurdwara, and I learned to speak basic Hindi - so I do practice what I preach.

Is it too much to ask that those who come here do the same? Especially if they are planning to settle here.

janet - 27-3-2008 at 13:27

I wish everyone were like you, though.

I worked as a tour guide in the Vatican City for three years. I learned to cringe when I heard some accents... because so often what I was going to hear was something along the lines of, "Don't they have anything to do in this place other than look at old buildings?" (HELLO?? You're in ROME!! Arhgghgh). "They don't keep this place very clean, do they?" (Well, no, ma'm, the streets do have sand and dirt on them - go look up sirocco and figure it out yourself. And that candy wrapper you've just thrown on the ground in ST PETER'S SQUARE ain't helping, either). "Oh, thank God, you're the first person all day that's spoken English! Why don't they speak English here????" (Maybe cause you're not in an English speaking country, perhaps? And the langugage of where you are standing atm is LATIN, lady...).

Arghgh.

Nimuae - 27-3-2008 at 13:57

Quote:
Originally posted by janet
I wish everyone were like you, though.

I worked as a tour guide in the Vatican City for three years. I learned to cringe when I heard some accents... because so often what I was going to hear was something along the lines of, "Don't they have anything to do in this place other than look at old buildings?" (HELLO?? You're in ROME!! Arhgghgh). "They don't keep this place very clean, do they?" (Well, no, ma'm, the streets do have sand and dirt on them - go look up sirocco and figure it out yourself. And that candy wrapper you've just thrown on the ground in ST PETER'S SQUARE ain't helping, either). "Oh, thank God, you're the first person all day that's spoken English! Why don't they speak English here????" (Maybe cause you're not in an English speaking country, perhaps? And the langugage of where you are standing atm is LATIN, lady...).

Arghgh.

What a wonderful place to be a tour guide !

I know exactly what you mean about tourists though. I followed a family of Americans down the Shambles in York last year - and collected up all the sweet wrappers their kids had dropped. I asked them if they liked our city - when they said that they did, I replied 'So do we - take your litter home!' and gave them the bundle of wrappers. They were too surprised to answer.

LSemmens - 28-3-2008 at 10:39

Quote:
I asked them if they liked our city - when they said that they did, I replied 'So do we - take your litter home!' and gave them the bundle of wrappers. They were too surprised to answer.

Well done! I would that more locals took pride in their own home, as you Nimuae!