Karl`s PC Help Forums

Indulgences
scholar - 15-1-2008 at 16:15

Are indulgences still available for purchase from the Roman Church?

A Roman Catholic on a talk show just mentioned that her grandmother bought some for her. (Was she kidding? If she was kidding, is it nonetheless the case that they are still sold?)

janet - 15-1-2008 at 16:44

No, is the simple answer. And the name of the denomination is the Roman Catholic Church. Courtesy costs nothing.

She may not have been kidding - she may have been wrong, misinformed, out to stir trouble or some other thing.

marymary100 - 15-1-2008 at 17:03

Google is your friend

janet - 15-1-2008 at 17:10

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
Google is your friend

Yes - as is the Catechism of the Catholic Church

SRD - 15-1-2008 at 18:29

I found this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7131088.stm which although not directly paying for an indulgence must encourage a number of people to attend (and therefore spend money so to do) during the period involved.

janet - 15-1-2008 at 22:06

In fact, it's not paying for indulgences... it's a continuation of a very old practice...

SRD - 15-1-2008 at 22:09

Quote:
Originally posted by janet
In fact, it's not paying for indulgences... it's a continuation of a very old practice...
So spending a load of money to visiting a cave in order to receive benefit isn't paying for them? That's like saying paying the airline fares and hotel rental isn't paying for a holiday.

Badgergirl - 20-1-2008 at 19:54

Quote:
Originally posted by SRD
Quote:
So spending a load of money to visiting a cave in order to receive benefit isn't paying for them? That's like saying paying the airline fares and hotel rental isn't paying for a holiday.

I agree with you there.

While I know the Church ACTUALLY does not agree with the sale of indulgences, it doesn't do a very good job of letting you know it doesn't want your cash.
The RC Church my School was attached to could make one feel very guilty if you didn't regularly turn out your pockets for whatever they were collecting for. The box was passed 'round publically and we were harranged to give up our lunch money to meet targets.

Most of the time it was for a good cause, but I've heard of an instance (from the parent) of a Child sent home with a box to collect simlply "for priests", with a target written on the side.

janet - 20-1-2008 at 22:23

Quote:
Originally posted by SRD
Quote:

No - because that's not what's being paid for and the people involved are smart enough to see the difference.

Or are you suggesting that they are not?

It's not just a cave - it is a place that has a great deal of importance for those who go there.

I'm assuming you don't share their belief - that's up to you.

But they *do* believe and choose to make the journey, which is up to them.

janet - 20-1-2008 at 22:24

Quote:
Originally posted by Badgergirl
Quote:
Originally posted by SRD
Quote:

I agree with you there.

While I know the Church ACTUALLY does not agree with the sale of indulgences, it doesn't do a very good job of letting you know it doesn't want your cash.
The RC Church my School was attached to could make one feel very guilty if you didn't regularly turn out your pockets for whatever they were collecting for. The box was passed 'round publically and we were harranged to give up our lunch money to meet targets.

Most of the time it was for a good cause, but I've heard of an instance (from the parent) of a Child sent home with a box to collect simlply "for priests", with a target written on the side.

Yes - almost certainly an educational fund.

Whether you agree with it or not, someone has to foot the bill for the education of young men for the priesthood.

TooCute4Words - 20-1-2008 at 22:29

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
Google is your friend

Hey Mary, thats cheating fish_slap

Scholar doesn't use Google :D