Karl`s PC Help Forums

Requiem Mass Today Wedding At Cana
marymary100 - 9-1-2008 at 18:24

The priest chose to use this passage refresher to remind the congregation about the importance of marriage, the place of a mother in organisational matters and keeping the best till last. The mother who died recently kept her best till last because she bore her illness with bravery and would not allow her house to become a sorrowful one.

The priest said that it was important to realise that the first miracle happened at a wedding and that this was to emphasise that marriage was indeed a sacrament.

Although it was well known to me, I found it very powerful today.

scholar - 9-1-2008 at 18:37

That is a great text. It's also great to hear it used preached in that context (besides its common use as the text in wedding sermons).

It's also great to hear the preaching was powerful and made an impression. In my experience, many sermons are like ordinary meals--they all nourish the soul, but I don't specifically remember most of them like I would a celebratory meal at a restaurant.

scholar - 9-1-2008 at 18:40

P.S. I also realize that, just because a sermon doesn't grab me, doesn't mean it was a poor sermon. It might be exactly what somebody else in the congregation needs to hear. Or, the knowledge therein might be just what I will need later, but I didn't know it at the time. :)

LSemmens - 10-1-2008 at 11:35

I was very impressed with that message, Mary, much of it reflects my own revelation of God. It serves to illustrate that God is no respecter of persons and will reveal himself to those who are willing to listen.

(To clarify that last statement in case there is any misunderstanding) Some people think that unless you, for instance, worship God in a particular way, He won't speak to you. Others think that some messages are "typical" of a particular sect. e.g. social services - the Salvation Army, Clapping and dancing in Church - some pentecostal groups. This message is true, no matter what your interpretation of God is. It was taught to me many years back in one of the more traditional protestant Churches and re-inforced later in a more "radical" pentecostal church.