Karl`s PC Help Forums

Plan to recycle crematorium heat
Dreamweaver - 8-1-2008 at 20:50

A crematorium in Greater Manchester is proposing to recycle the heat generated when its furnaces are cremating people's remains.

Good or bad idea?

Swish Checkley - 8-1-2008 at 20:58

I'd be happy to be cremated there (hopefully not just yet though).

Dreamweaver - 8-1-2008 at 21:03

Whilst I will be cremated and won't worry about the aftermath, I am not sure I would want to attend a service knowing the previous departee was keeping the room heated :(

the bear - 8-1-2008 at 22:06

It could be viewed as the departed's final contribution to the ecological wellbeing of the planet, and as such perhaps they should be given the option. The feelings of the family have to be a serious consideration. Perhaps it could be dealt with in a similar manner to organ donation.
Most crematoriums have more than one furnace perhaps that would provide an option.
Personally it wouldnt bother me.

Regards the Bear

LSemmens - 9-1-2008 at 13:15

When I am dead, whatever you choose to do with my body is up to you, I won't need it!

John_Little - 9-1-2008 at 15:01

I dont think they do it as you wait. In fact, I think they wait until they've got a few and do them in one sitting. But, although it seems a bit of an odd idea, well, Global warming and all that. They may as well use the heat. I suppose.

Hmmmmm.......

John

janet - 9-1-2008 at 15:22

Makes perfect sense to me.

Arwenna - 9-1-2008 at 16:46

That will teach me to keep my big mouth shut, as last time I was in a crematorium, I moaned about being so cold and couldn’t understand why they did not use heat from the furnace to heat the room, so am all for it after all if my body can keep someone warm after my dead, at least am still doing some good :)