Karl`s PC Help Forums

Islam with a difference
marymary100 - 27-12-2007 at 19:17

hip hop message

Dreamweaver - 28-12-2007 at 09:38

" They sing about God - not drugs and gang warfare. "
Now if they included politics etc in that quote I could see some promise in it.
There will be some that say it's yet another way of recruitment though, I think.

marymary100 - 28-12-2007 at 10:28

Of course it is but it is up to the adherents of any faith to keep things fresh for the next generation.

janet - 28-12-2007 at 11:52

Almost every faith recruits... If you believe something is good, there is a tendency to want to share it with people

LSemmens - 28-12-2007 at 13:14

There are also many Christian artists that do much the same and are also criticised, this is not new. It would be good to hear of some more positive Islamic influences. It would also be good to see these groups working within their own communities to raise a more positive world viewpoint than is promulgated by some of the radical clerics.

Badgergirl - 5-1-2008 at 16:14

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
There are also many Christian artists that do much the same and are also criticised, this is not new. It would be good to hear of some more positive Islamic influences. It would also be good to see these groups working within their own communities to raise a more positive world viewpoint than is promulgated by some of the radical clerics.

Sadly, young people who listen to this kind of music are seriously uncool people. It'll only be the christians,Muslims or young naiive people who can take christian:islamic hip-hop as cool. I know what I'm on about, I used to be in a Christian Rock band. I didn't tell many of my mates from my school!

It's not that I dissagree with the idea, but as a young person, it makes me cringe!

LSemmens - 6-1-2008 at 06:44

There are many Christian artists who have been successful in the commercial realm. From yesteryear, the best known would be Cliff Richard, today we have the likes of Mary Mary and Beyonce.

Badgergirl - 19-1-2008 at 17:21

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
There are many Christian artists who have been successful in the commercial realm. From yesteryear, the best known would be Cliff Richard, today we have the likes of Mary Mary and Beyonce.

I now have an image of Sir Cliff in hotpants and fur. Thanks!

I dont see what is so Christian about Beyonce, most of hers songs and videos involve her wiggling about wearing not very much and panting about men!

LSemmens - 20-1-2008 at 09:51

I do not follow her, so I cannot comment upon her style. I do know that she has admitted a faith in God at some stage, beyond that, I know no more.

Badgergirl - 20-1-2008 at 19:46

A lot of artists have strong religious faith of some kind, and hopefully choose to live their life accordingly. Beyonce is a Christian as far as I know.

However artists like Beyonce, originally of "Destiny's Child" moved on from songs about love and female empowerment to increase their fan-base. Now, she's more likely to share her videos with Shakira, panting and wiggling.

I'm not saying Religious artists are in any way less talented or Valid, only that they are usually just preaching to the Choir!
It's hard to recruit through music when songs with a message are often seen as "naff".

janet - 20-1-2008 at 22:46

I think the lead singer of Evanescence has talked about being a Christian at times...?

I suspect a lot of people in the entertainment world figure that their personal faiths are no one else's business...