Karl`s PC Help Forums

No Prayers please
the bear - 23-12-2007 at 00:34

The Womens Institute management have instructed thier various branches not to say say prayers at any carol concerts that they may be holding, why? incase it offends none christians!!!!

Surely people attending a Carol service would realise that they are attending a "Christian" celebration and be at ease with the services content.

Is this the PC brigade undermining a British tradition or is it something more subversive???

Regards the Bear

Dreamweaver - 23-12-2007 at 00:37

Quote:
Originally posted by the bear
The Womens Institute management have instructed thier various branches not to say say prayers at any carol concerts that they may be holding, why? incase it offends none christians!!!!

Surely people attending a Carol service would realise that they are attending a "Christian" celebration and be at ease with the services content.

Is this the PC brigade undermining a British tradition or is it something more subversive???

Regards the Bear

Perhaps a link may help Bear?

victor - 23-12-2007 at 00:42

Try thiswaveysmiley

the bear - 23-12-2007 at 00:42

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamweaver
Quote:

Regards the Bear

Perhaps a link may help Bear?

Whats a "link" lol, your talking to somebody that gets his Supermoderator to post his piccies for him!!!!

Best regards the Bear

victor - 23-12-2007 at 00:59

Don't worry Bear I have supplied one ,night night. waveysmileybed_time

Dreamweaver - 23-12-2007 at 01:00

Quote:

Whats a "link" lol, your talking to somebody that gets his Supermoderator to post his piccies for him!!!!

Best regards the Bear

Ermm no :) Victor answered in the post above lol.

the bear - 23-12-2007 at 01:05

Quote:
Originally posted by victor
Don't worry Bear I have supplied one ,night night. waveysmileybed_time

Thank you Victor, and a good night to you, sleep well .

Regards the bear

Dreamweaver - 23-12-2007 at 01:30

Quote:

Regards the Bear

From what I see from Victor's link, it's one think to have a religious or non religious belief, its quite another when you try to indoctranate to others within a workforce.....

the bear - 23-12-2007 at 02:14

I have always been under the impression that the WI has always had a firm tie with the church, and the local Curate being an ever present focal point.

WI announcements are given after sevices and are usually based in the relevant church hall.

this being so how can members be offended bythe saying of Christian prayers at Christian celebrations?

Regards the Bear

scholar - 23-12-2007 at 04:54

It makes sense to me to offer Christian prayers.

If group prayers are offered, those who wish to join in group prayer get what they wish to do, and those who wish not to pray get their own wish as well--everybody wins.

If no one leads prayers, those who wish not to pray get their wish, but those who wish to join in group prayer do not get to do so--so the Christians lose.

marymary100 - 23-12-2007 at 09:52

I always understood the WI to be attached to the Christian church anyway. When did that cease to be true?

the bear - 23-12-2007 at 10:00

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
It makes sense to me to offer Christian prayers.

If group prayers are offered, those who wish to join in group prayer get what they wish to do, and those who wish not to pray get their own wish as well--everybody wins.

If no one leads prayers, those who wish not to pray get their wish, but those who wish to join in group prayer do not get to do so--so the Christians lose.

That was my understanding MM.

This may get snipped, ( does the PC brigade want future WI meetings held at the local Mosque???). Maybe they're after the cake recipies lol

Regards the Bear

janet - 23-12-2007 at 10:54

Saying prayers is hardly indoctrination.

shywitch - 23-12-2007 at 13:44

It doesn't appear to be 'related' to the Church in any way.

marymary100 - 23-12-2007 at 13:54

We have the Scottish WRI here which is more of a rural institute with farming links. here

What has led to my confusion is that our local WRI meet in the local church halls but I suppose that's just a letting arrangement rather than a church affiliation. It must be pure coincidence that all of the women I know who go also attend the local church - not the one I go to.

LSemmens - 23-12-2007 at 14:47

They're willing to celebrate a Christian Tradition, they can, at least, say thanks (prayers).

Badgergirl - 23-12-2007 at 17:15

:smash)

A representation of my current migrane, and also of the sort of incident that must have encouraged such rediculous thinking.

shywitch - 23-12-2007 at 18:59

Quote:
Originally posted by shywitch
It doesn't appear to be 'related' to the Church in any way.

Doh!!!

Forgot to post the link.

http://www.womens-institute.co.uk/standard.aspx?id=56