Karl`s PC Help Forums

Tony Blair coverts to Catholicism
marymary100 - 22-12-2007 at 19:35

story here

Would it really have mattered if he had done this while Prime Minister? For example, do you think that he would have had to have voted against abortion if he had "converted" earlier?

giron - 22-12-2007 at 22:10

When he converted to conservatism, several years ago, nobody seemed to be too concerned.

New Labour - my a**e! waggyfinger

janet - 22-12-2007 at 22:13

I thought it was not possible for a Catholic to form her majesty's government?

Though I have to admit that at one point, both leaders of the opposition parties would have fallen under that stricture.

Dreamweaver - 22-12-2007 at 23:31

Quote:
Originally posted by janet

Though I have to admit that at one point, both leaders of the opposition parties would have fallen under that stricture.

Does that mean politics outweighs religion?

victor - 22-12-2007 at 23:36

Quote:

There is no rule against it has been said but but wolf in sheep's clothing while he was PM springs to mind.

the bear - 23-12-2007 at 00:40

Quote:
Originally posted by victor
Quote:

There is no rule against it has been said but but wolf in sheep's clothing while he was PM springs to mind.

The words "defender of the faith" spring to mind how can you be a catholic and be the defender of the Church of England?

Regards the Bear

janet - 23-12-2007 at 10:50

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamweaver
Quote:

Does that mean politics outweighs religion?

It certainly did at one time, in this country (as in many others) - Catholics could not build churches, could not attend university, etc.

I thought the Articles of Institution said that a Catholic could not form her majesty's government but I also seem to recall discussion here about that some time ago wherein others stated that had been abrogated, so...?

janet - 23-12-2007 at 10:50

Quote:
Originally posted by the bear
Quote:
Quote:

The words "defender of the faith" spring to mind how can you be a catholic and be the defender of the Church of England?

Regards the Bear

Because the title was originally given to Henry for his work FOR the Catholic church, against Protestants? ;)

janet - 23-12-2007 at 10:51

Quote:
Quote:

Why would changing denominations after he left mean he was a wolf in sheep's clothing while PM? Are all Catholics wolves, then? ;)