Karl`s PC Help Forums

Alice Cooper's Solid Rock teen center
scholar - 17-12-2007 at 16:51

I just heard a report on the radio about this teen center, which is said to be an alternative for young people who might otherwise be drawn into gangs. Young people can come to the center and shoot baskets, play instruments, or study.

I checked the net for information about it and found this:

"OUR MISSION
SOLID ROCK'S PRIMARY GOAL IS TO HONOR CHRIST BY HELPING TO MEET THE SPIRITUAL, ECONOMIC, PHYSICAL, AND SOCIAL NEEDS OF TEENAGERS & CHILDREN WITHIN OUR COMMUNITY"

http://www.srfrock.org/

Why do you suppose the radio news reference stripped away all reference to Christ or ANY religious connection?

Redwolf5150 - 17-12-2007 at 19:05

Not one of the 5 "W's" or "H" needed in a lead of a news story.

Since radio has even less "space" than a print story, only what the news writer determines is "important" to the story makes it in.

Does knowing or not knowing the religious connection make or break the story?

In my "professional" opinion as an editor, no.

Anyone familiar with Alice Cooper's bio knows he is the son of a minister and also knows he is a Christian.

Now if I was writing a story for say Reader's Digest or a religious magazine, I would have included the information. But for mainstream media, unless it's bound for the religious page, it isn't going to get mentioned.

That's the way the business works. Sorry.

kewl_glasses

LSemmens - 18-12-2007 at 12:47

I didn't know that Alice Cooper was a Christian and had largely disregarded him as he wasn't my style.

Out of Curiosity, RW, 5 "W's" or "H" ?

scholar - 18-12-2007 at 12:53

The 5 Reporters' Questions:

Who
What
When
Where
How

LSemmens - 18-12-2007 at 13:59

Of course!

marymary100 - 18-12-2007 at 17:26

I suspect that they want people to go along and use the facility without being put off by the Christian ethos.

Redwolf5150 - 19-12-2007 at 00:14

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
The 5 Reporters' Questions:

Who
What
When
Where
How

You left out what is usually the most important one:

"Why"

kewl_glasses