Karl`s PC Help Forums

Prayers desired for grandson Zach
scholar - 12-12-2007 at 06:12

Tonight, I got an e-mail from my ex-wife, telling me that grandson Zach has a golf ball sized tumor in the middle of his brain. The doctor says it requires surgery, which he is to get Friday morning at 5 a.m. (that would be 11 a.m. in Britain).

He and the rest of my daughter's family live in another state. It seems unlikely that I will get to see him and be with him because of the estrangement from my wife divorcing me; she will go there and stay with the family, and won't want me around. By virtue of my poverty, I would have a hard time paying for fuel and food; paying for a motel would just be too much.:(

It is one of the states that has been hit so hard with the ice storms. I can't stay in my car, as I might if it were during the summer. Nor have I explored if I would be allowed to visit; if daughter wants her mother to feel entirely at ease, she might not want me around in the hospital, either. She has not brought Zach to visit me in any of the years since the divorce.

So, I will pray, and I ask you to pray as well.

the bear - 12-12-2007 at 06:46

Scholar that is indeed sad news, we will of course highlite his plight in our prayers.

Sincere regards, the Bear

marymary100 - 12-12-2007 at 07:13

Will do, although I'd be inclined to be there for my child rather than consider the feelings of my ex if it were me.

Dreamweaver - 12-12-2007 at 10:11

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
Will do, although I'd be inclined to be there for my child rather than consider the feelings of my ex if it were me.

I will second that. Surely you can e-mail/telephone your daughter Scholar ? You never know she could just be waiting for contact :(

Quaver - 12-12-2007 at 10:20

She let you know about the op, she wants you to be thereconfused2
I'm sure your wife told your daughter that she's told you.

I'll pray for Zachwaveysmiley

Daz - 12-12-2007 at 10:56

I think any decent Father/Grandfather would want to be there if at all humanly possible.

However, perhaps there is more to not being able to go due to events in his past, which he doesn't wish to share with a of load cyber buddies who he doesn't really know, so maybe we should just accept that he's not going and move on....

No offence intended, and not having a dig at anyone, just my take on things...

Arwenna - 12-12-2007 at 11:13

Canít found the words, but I will pray
My thoughts are with you
blessing to you
Debbie

janet - 12-12-2007 at 12:01

Thoughts and prayers are with all of you, scholar.

Is there no way to go through the network of churches, to find someone who could put you up?

scholar - 12-12-2007 at 13:48

I'll be more clear about my family situation. Zach's mother is technically a step-daughter to me (though I raised her, she was old enough to remember the years before I became her father). She felt closer to her mother anyway, and her mother has made a point of inviting her to Thanksgivings, Christmases, and summer holidays, and never inviting me. Daughter has never given me her present address, or her phone number, or her e-mail. She has not sent a Christmas card. My ex-wife told me to get out and had her internet boyfriend move into the apartment with her in less than a month while we were still married, but she tells herself and her relatives that she did so because I was not a good enough husband (not because she was unfaithful).

Daughter did not tell me about Zach; my ex-wife did, when she sent an e-mail to son Tim and myself. Would she have told me, if Tim was not living here with me? I don't know.

If my ex-wife has sufficiently poisoned daughter, or is sufficiently bitter toward me, it is possible that I would arrive at the hospital (hundreds of miles away) only to be told, "Get out of here. We have plenty of stress already over the illness. You're unwelcome. I'll tell the nurses and aides not to allow you into Zach's room." At this point, I don't even know for sure which city the hospital is in.

Or, it may be that daughter will say, "Dad! I've missed you! I'm so glad you came!"

If I were well off financially, I would definitely drive over and try, even if I might get shut out. Since I am poor, it might be the case that I would be unable to pay an important bill (electric, water, natural gas, auto insurance, telephone). So, I will try to get some assurance that I will not be unwelcome before I burn the fuel to go there. It would be sad indeed if I got to the state, and no one would tell me which city or hospital Zach is at.

However, I do not mean to shift the focus to me. I love Zach, and desire the very best for him.

Quote:
Irish Prayer For a sick brother By Dimma, a seventh century Irish monk
O Lord, holy Father,
Creator of the universe, Author of its laws,
You can bring the dead back to life, and heal those who are sick.
We pray for our sick brother
that he may feel Your hand upon him,
renewing his body and refreshing his soul.
Show to him the affection in which You hold all Your creatures

In Jesus' Name. Amen

LSemmens - 12-12-2007 at 13:57

I am praying as I type. It would be prudent to, at least, contact your daughter and offer to come. She could then either accept your offer or reject it. At the end of the day, you can, at least, say that you tried. If she accepts your offer, then you may be able to negotiate some form of visitation rights / place to stay or whatever. Your only problem then would be to get there. Our God is in the miracle business, and is more than able to resolve your problems.

LSemmens - 12-12-2007 at 14:01

You posted as I was typing, so, you could still make the effort, but it may have to be via the ex. I'll not hold much hope there, a card and letter sent via a common contact will, at least show that you care.

scholar - 12-12-2007 at 14:02

Leigh, since her telephone number is unlisted, and I don't know her address, and I don't know what city the hospital is in or the name of the hospital, I may have trouble reaching her. I will try.

LSemmens - 12-12-2007 at 14:21

Again, Scholar, I suspect we cross posted.

scholar - 12-12-2007 at 15:37

Understood, Leigh.

Better relationships among us could also be a subject of prayer.kewl_glasses

scholar - 12-12-2007 at 15:39

Quote:
Originally posted by janet
Thoughts and prayers are with all of you, scholar.

Is there no way to go through the network of churches, to find someone who could put you up?
If I am welcome to see Zach, and can cover the fuel cost, I will find a way.

Badgergirl - 12-12-2007 at 17:21

Quote:

Exactly.

My thoughts are with your grandson and with you Scholar.

As for the travel problems, I'm sure your grandson will understand if you can't be there in person,you are a kind, thoughtful person.
but if by a long-shot you are able to get through the storms (and cash!), then it's him you would be there to support, not as a diplomatic event to please/displease your extranged ex.

scholar - 12-12-2007 at 17:54

At the risk of repeating myself, I'll express again:

My concern is being shut out. If Zach's mother says, "Don't let this man see Zach. He's not to be allowed in the room or in seeing distance" (which she may do, if she is under her mother's influence), then I won't go. If my presence would only give my daughter more stress and upset, and if I would not be able to see or speak with Zach either before or after the operation, then I think I would just as well stay home.

Or, are you all telling me this is one of those female communication things, that I am supposed to know that I should be there to show my love by being present, even if I am told I am unwelcome and will not be allowed to see or speak to Zach? (Of course, that will be hard if no one will tell me which city or hospital Zach will be in.)

marymary100 - 12-12-2007 at 18:03

Yes. I'm pretty sure that being there, even if not allowed into the room would be better in the long run. We women can be fickle but it is possible that your efforts to show support would have long term dividends.

However, if money is really too tight then show support in some other way if you can.

janet - 12-12-2007 at 18:22

At the very least, I'd get in touch if at all possible.

Rifts are healed or at least made better at times like this....

scholar - 12-12-2007 at 18:29

With a little help from a friend, I think I can get the fuel. If I pack sandwiches with me, my food shouldn't be much more than if I stay home.

If necessary, I could narrow down the hospitals to perhaps three. In the States, if you name the person you wish to visit, they will usually tell you, "He's in room D-310" or wherever. [I would be quite frustrated if I would set out, not knowing which hospital, and ultimately not be able to find him!:o:(]

Do others here agree that I should be present, even if not invited?

scholar - 12-12-2007 at 18:31

Since daughter has not seen me for some years, it will seem to her as if one of the Wraith has fed on me.:o

[If you don't know what I mean, it is a Stargate: Atlantis reference, which I can explain if necessary. I would guess Leigh knows what I mean.]

scholar - 12-12-2007 at 18:34

Quote:

Thank you, Janet. Do you also lean toward me being present, even if not verbally invited?

scholar - 12-12-2007 at 18:37

I just thought of another angle: If I simply show up, daughter doesn't have to make what might seem to be a choice between what may be her mother's wishes, and mine. If I just say, "I'll be there, and I love you and Zach"--she doesn't have to explain to her mother why she didn't take "mother's side."

Divorce stinks.:(

janet - 12-12-2007 at 18:49

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
Quote:

Thank you, Janet. Do you also lean toward me being present, even if not verbally invited?

I'd get in touch first, and then go from there. In the end, this is a decision you have to make, scholar - no one else knows the situation and people as you do.

scholar - 12-12-2007 at 19:08

I have trouble with the subtleties of female communication.

I remember one time, decades ago, when my wife had a milkshake from McDonald's. One of the daughters took a sip of it. A little later, I took a taste as well. She got angry, and said something like, "Everybody else is drinking my shake. Well, go ahead, enjoy it all! I'm not going to drink it, now."

Of course, I said, "I just had a taste. I won't have any more. Enjoy your shake."

"No, no, I don't want it anymore. You have it."

"No, honey. It's your shake."

"No, you might as well have it. I don't want it, now."

"Are you saying that if I don't drink it, you'll just let it go to waste?"

"Yes."

So, I drank it, rather than let it go to waste. For years and years, she has recalled that incident, and has told me that I was supposed to know that, no matter what she said, she really didn't want me to drink the shake. She considers it to be male stupidity, to believe what a woman says when she really doesn't want what she says.

So, I wondered if this might be something like that. "Of course, you come to the hospital, when your grandson is having an operation. I had to tell you no, so Mom wouldn't think I was favoring you over her, but I really wanted you to come."

scholar - 12-12-2007 at 19:51

Any other opinions to express from the mysterious sex?

Badgergirl - 12-12-2007 at 22:58

Quote:
I have trouble with the subtleties of female communication.

I remember one time, decades ago, when my wife had a milkshake from McDonald's. One of the daughters took a sip of it. A little later, I took a taste as well. She got angry, and said something like, "Everybody else is drinking my shake. Well, go ahead, enjoy it all! I'm not going to drink it, now."

Of course, I said, "I just had a taste. I won't have any more. Enjoy your shake."

"No, no, I don't want it anymore. You have it."

"No, honey. It's your shake."

"No, you might as well have it. I don't want it, now."

"Are you saying that if I don't drink it, you'll just let it go to waste?"

"Yes."

So, I drank it, rather than let it go to waste. For years and years, she has recalled that incident, and has told me that I was supposed to know that, no matter what she said, she really didn't want me to drink the shake. She considers it to be male stupidity, to believe what a woman says when she really doesn't want what she says.

So, I wondered if this might be something like that. "Of course, you come to the hospital, when your grandson is having an operation. I had to tell you no, so Mom wouldn't think I was favoring you over her, but I really wanted you to come."

Honey, I'd've drank the shake as well.

After a year of hearing her re-live a bad date, I was told by a girl-friend, "talk to Dave* for me"
"No, don't"
"Please talk to Dave for me"

So eventually, to ease my suffering, I went to talk to Dave.
Dave said "Becky is a nice girl, but I'm not ready to date again, I hope she understands, and she's not been worrying about it"

Becky got very cross with me for talking to Dave. Another year went by and she still dragged it up!

I don't understand some people.

* Names have been changed!

scholar - 12-12-2007 at 23:10

Badgergirl, I think you communicate more directly than many females do (socially, at least).

I think guys are generally more blunt.

From your earlier post, it sounds as if you've already declared yourself on the go-see-him-if-possible side.waveysmiley

Quaver - 12-12-2007 at 23:44

You are right, female is a different species:D
You need to know the person so well as to have ESP;)

I hate eating/drinking something others has tasted. If anyone took a sip at my milkshake, I'd like a new onekewl_glasses

scholar - 12-12-2007 at 23:56

Quote:
Originally posted by Quaver
I hate eating/drinking something others has tasted. If anyone took a sip at my milkshake, I'd like a new onekewl_glasses
But, would you tell them to drink it, and then get mad if they did?:smash):smash):smash)

the bear - 13-12-2007 at 00:29

Quote:
Leigh, since her telephone number is unlisted, and I don't know her address, and I don't know what city the hospital is in or the name of the hospital, I may have trouble reaching her. I will try.

Perhaps son Tim could be the author of any inquiry, he might get better recieved, perhaps it would help if Tim went with you. Zach has need to see his Grandad, It is after all the lads right.

Things like this have a way of sortting themselves out, a course of action will become clear.

We will all continue to offer prayers.

Best regards the Bear. waveysmiley

scholar - 13-12-2007 at 01:50

I just got back online, after my computer froze. I think I have to do fewer operations at the same time.

Tim has plans to ride in his other sister's car, with her and my ex-wife. Either of them is wealthy, compared to me, so I figure they will feed him. I would guess they will all stay at Zach's family's house.

I'll be driving my own car. (It may be the Lord's own timing that I finally took it into the shop, and that they succeeded in repairing it at a reasonable price and returning it just this week. :D)

There have been other times when people have told me, "You don't have to drive so far to see me in the hospital"--but, when I was there, they were glad to see me. I think the common opinion here is right, that I should go for the Zach's sake (which also shows love for his mom).

the bear - 13-12-2007 at 02:23

Scholar, how old is Zach, please tell us a little about him. If you get an address we could send him a load of get well / Christmas cards. Children love to recieve them.

Regards the Bear

scholar - 13-12-2007 at 02:45

I'm having trouble remembering when he was born. I think he's about ten years old now. He is quite large for his age--taller than his adult aunt. I haven't been able to do anything with him since he was about 5 years old, so I don't know what he's like anymore.

His brain tumor was discovered when he was given an MRI in connection with diagnosing some symptoms. He'd had tremors or spasms--(I'm not sure of details), and there was concern that he might have Turret's syndrome or perhaps high functioning autism. They found the tumor and say that its pressure is affecting his function.

He loves fishing with his dad. He loves the outdoors. He's had asthma. His mother has (wisely) required strict obedience--you don't want a large child to think of challenging you.

I do plan to get an address for cards. I will look around the hospital for internet access, so I can tell you all how things are going.

the bear - 13-12-2007 at 03:31

Quote:
I'm having trouble remembering when he was born. I think he's about ten years old now. He is quite large for his age--taller than his adult aunt. I haven't been able to do anything with him since he was about 5 years old, so I don't know what he's like anymore.

His brain tumor was discovered when he was given an MRI in connection with diagnosing some symptoms. He'd had tremors or spasms--(I'm not sure of details), and there was concern that he might have Turret's syndrome or perhaps high functioning autism. They found the tumor and say that its pressure is affecting his function.

He loves fishing with his dad. He loves the outdoors. He's had asthma. His mother has (wisely) required strict obedience--you don't want a large child to think of challenging you.

I do plan to get an address for cards. I will look around the hospital for internet access, so I can tell you all how things are going.

I will buy a couple of appropriate cards today, ( just to be on the safe side). let us have details as soon as things become clear.

Regards the Bear

DeWitch - 13-12-2007 at 04:06

Zach has my positive thoughts and prayers as do you dear friend

Swish Checkley - 13-12-2007 at 10:02

Quote:
I have trouble with the subtleties of female communication.....Any other opinions to express from the mysterious sex?

Since you ask, yes. It is very wrong to tar all females with the same brush. I would never behave in the way your wife did in your milkshake example, I am quite capable of speaking my mind, as I'm sure you've noticed :o
But that's detracting from what is really important, I believe you are doing the right thing in trying to make a visit possible. Zach's wellbeing is much more important than your ex and her opinions. Hopefully as others have said rifts can be healed. I wish you luck.
I hope the operation goes very well and that he makes a swift recovery.

janet - 13-12-2007 at 10:29

Quote:
You are right, female is a different species:D
You need to know the person so well as to have ESP;)

If someone took a sip/bite of anything I had *without asking* there would have been words, no matter how close the relationship!

LSemmens - 13-12-2007 at 12:21

At the end of the day Scholar, all you can do is make the effort, if they say "Under no circumstances will you be welcome", then wisdom would dictate you stay home and send a card. If they say "Don't come", then I'd bust a gut to get there, if they then say "P*** off!", at least you can say that you tried, and they know that you care. At the end of the day, all that you'll need to do is to answer to God for your actions, what the rest of us think is of no consequence.

Quaver - 13-12-2007 at 13:00

Quote:
Quote:
But, would you tell them to drink it, and then get mad if they did?:smash):smash):smash)

No:) Perhaps you took a bit more than a sipconfused2

Anyway, you should do whatever you think bestwaveysmiley
I'll be praying;)

marymary100 - 13-12-2007 at 18:51

Any update?

scholar - 13-12-2007 at 19:23

Daughter has not contacted me. Ex-wife has said she doesn't think it appropriate for me to go. She has also told me the surgery will be about noon. I have had the unhappy thought, "She might be feeding me false information." I was originally told 5 a.m. on Friday. If the surgery is not until noon, I would rather get up very early Friday and drive there. (I am thinking I may very well just sleep in a chair in the hospital, if I drive in today, as I had originally planned. If I stay until Zach awakens to alertness after the operation, it could be two days of sleeping in chairs.) My wife lies easily and well. However, it could be that she is telling the truth. It could be that she expected to convince me not to go, or it could be that she partly really wants me to go (which would explain why she included me in the e-mail about it in the first place. If she had wished, she could have just e-mailed me that she wanted to get in touch with Tim, and they could have kept the whole matter from me).

After my ex-wife told me she didn't think it appropriate that I go, I explained that I simply thought I should be there out of love for Zach and his mother. The next morning, my e-mail had a message from my ex-wife's husband, telling me in headline letters to go f--- myself.:(

marymary100 - 13-12-2007 at 19:26

But it's not his business, or hers to be frank. It is about your love for your adopted daughter and her child.

scholar - 13-12-2007 at 19:45

Thank you, Mary. Your thinking seems right to me, and I thank you for your guidance and support. (And for others who have thought similarly.)

I am tender-hearted, and am not happy at the prospect that I may get more verbal grief when I'm there. But, I think it's the right thing to do.

I'll also want to follow the proverb, "A soft answer turns away wrath."

I also invite prayers that the Lord will bless me in my visit, and use it for love and healing in my family.:)

scholar - 13-12-2007 at 21:09

My younger daughter (technically, step-daughter) has just spoken to me on the phone.

She said in a calm, caring voice that she has spoken with older daughter's husband, who has also indicated he would prefer that I not come, because older daughter is frantic (which I understand to mean afraid, upset, and fraught with anxiety), and does not want to be self-conscious about it or concerned about interacting with anyone else.

Zach, on the other hand, is calm and brave. He takes it seriously, but is not distressingly-afraid.

Younger daughter won't be at the hospital; she will be looking after older daughter's children at the house.

Other close relatives are being excluded, even local ones.

I told younger daughter I would hate to be at home if the operation should go badly. She said the doctors are confident, that it is fairly routine. (I take this to mean they are confident he will survive the operation. I don't thiink that is the same as confidence that they will get all of the tumor, and nothing else, perfectly.)

Younger daughter gave me her cell phone number, so I can keep in touch while she's there.

She also mentioned that older daughter now lives in another city, further north. That being the case, it is unlikely Zach would have been in one of the three hospitals in the city where I expected to find him, so I don't really have the choice of driving up on my own.

So, I will be at home as I pray, not present at the hospital. I was persuaded by younger daughter, but the unknown location nearly takes it out of my hands, anyway. (I could telephone each hospital in the state until I found the right one, I guess--but I won't.)

marymary100 - 13-12-2007 at 21:15

At least they all now know that you made efforts to actually be there and not "just" pray for them.

scholar - 13-12-2007 at 21:17

Thank you, Mary. I had not reflected on that.kewl_glasses

janet - 13-12-2007 at 21:20

I think you've done the right thing, scholar. At least they know you are interested, that you care, and that you were willing to make the journey if it had been in everyone's best interests.

scholar - 13-12-2007 at 21:30

Thank you, Janet.

Oh, I just realized--I don't have an address to send a card.lips_sealed
Well, younger daughter probably doesn't have the address of the hospital memorized, anyway (though I could have looked it up on the net, if she'd given me name and city).

Hopefully, I'll get it when I get news about the operation.

Dreamweaver - 13-12-2007 at 23:03

Quote:
Thank you, Janet.

Oh, I just realized--I don't have an address to send a card.lips_sealed
Well, younger daughter probably doesn't have the address of the hospital memorized, anyway (though I could have looked it up on the net, if she'd given me name and city).

Hopefully, I'll get it when I get news about the operation.

Then maybe send an "FAO" card to younger daughter, and leave it to her conscience..... at least you know in your own conscience to have done all you can to get through :( :(

Quaver - 13-12-2007 at 23:15

Quote:
At least they all now know that you made efforts to actually be there and not "just" pray for them.

You did the right thingwaveysmiley

scholar - 13-12-2007 at 23:20

Thank you, my friends, for being so generous in responding.:)

BobbyKatLittleCub - 14-12-2007 at 08:07

*So sorry, I missed this thread completely. :(*

:( Aw Scholar, I'm so sorry you can't be there for your grandson as well as dealing with unreasonable family members. I pray Zach's surgery and recovery go well. Perhaps you get find which hospital he's in for now, and then visit him while he's recovering.

scholar - 14-12-2007 at 12:26

Quote:
Originally posted by BobbyKatLittleCub
Perhaps you get find which hospital he's in for now, and then visit him while he's recovering.
So I could be there for the emergency surgery, a generous friend had offered to pay for my gasoline. He had offered this at some personal sacrifice. I'll be on my own when the crisis has passed.

If I get the job for which I applied, I'll be working Monday-Friday. I don't think it would be too great for me to ask for a few days' vacation my first week.:o

One way it could work would be this: If I were told I'm hired starting on day X, come in and fill out your papers, and then I had a few days before I was actually scheduled to work. I could spend some money presently reserved to pay for heat, etc., knowing that my paycheck would replace the money. Then, I could drive up for a two-day visit and be back in time for work.

LSemmens - 14-12-2007 at 14:55

From the responses from the family members to which you have spoken, I would now consider that I had made the effort and not attempt to visit at this stage as all it could do is to exacerbate a delicate "truce". By all means, send a card c/- the younger daughter, as she has shown her trust in you be giving you her mobile number, she should be trusted to do the right thing as far as the card goes. In time, Zak will actually be in a position to receive visitors and, then, may be willing to see you. Take it slowly.

marymary100 - 14-12-2007 at 16:28

Haven't you heard about the job yet?

scholar - 14-12-2007 at 18:06

The operation should be starting about now, or may perhaps have been underway for a few minutes.

Anyone who cares to pray during the crucial time, this is it.

the bear - 14-12-2007 at 19:34

Scholar we are thinking of you, and have said a litle prayer for Zach

Regards the Bear

scholar - 14-12-2007 at 20:59

I'm told the operation did not take as long as the medical people had said it was likely to take, and that it went well. Zach is in recovery now. Because of the influence of the anesthetic, Zach may not be as clear in his thinking for a while, and they won't be able to evaluate subtle aspects of brain function until later.

The doctor told a few family members, and one of them told Tim, who told me, so I do not have any nuances of the original account. What I've been told is positive. Hallelujah! :D[badimg]http://www.karlsforums.com/xmas/dancingsantas.gif[/bad img][bad img]http://www.karlsforums.com/xmas/dancingsantas.gif[/bad img][badimg]http://www.karlsforums.com/xmas/dancingsantas.gif[/bad img]

Dreamweaver - 14-12-2007 at 21:04

It's all good news Scholar,
I hope Zach recovers quickly and I bet he won't want to miss Christmas :)

scholar - 14-12-2007 at 21:15

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamweaver
It's all good news Scholar,
I hope Zach recovers quickly and I bet he won't want to miss Christmas :)
If there are no complications, I would suppose he'll be home again fairly soon. I think he only needs to heal enough that there are no issues with changing bandages.

I was so excited when I took the call that I forgot to ask for older daughter's new address, to send cards.:o:P:P:P:P:P

scholar - 14-12-2007 at 21:36

Quote:
No, I haven't.

I don't know exactly how long the background check was to take. The person who hoped to hire me did not give me any particular time frame, except to say I would be called in to fill out forms a few days before I was actually scheduled to work.

Are you thinking it's been too long? That I may not have gotten it?:(

Quaver - 14-12-2007 at 21:48

Quote:
Quote:

Are you thinking it's been too long? That I may not have gotten it?:(

It's a busy time of the year, background checks would take longer, as does all other things. Don't worry;)

Glad to hear Zach is doing wellwaveysmiley

marymary100 - 14-12-2007 at 21:57

I'm glad Zach's operation has gone well. :)

As to the job, I've no idea how long these things take in the US nowadays. When I was interviewed for jobs in the 80s it seemed fairly quick as far as I can remember.

scholar - 14-12-2007 at 22:02

I just phoned the business, to ask if there was any news. I got to speak to the man who hires, and he told me he has not gotten approval from the company's Human Resources, which does the background checks. He said he had thought he would hear by now, so he is going to "put a bug in their ear." Since he, himself, had thought to have heard by now, he seemed in no way bothered that I phoned him. He said he will call me (which sounds as if he expects no trouble; normally, they only call to hire, not to pass one over), and he thought it might be next week.

I have no doubt he wants to move things along, because he is getting along with the position unfilled for the present.:o

This is a big thread drift from Zach, but it came up in the natural course of conversation. As Dot says, that's the way the forums go.

janet - 14-12-2007 at 22:05

So pleased to hear about Zach! :)

delanti - 15-12-2007 at 00:07

I missed this thread as I have not been on for any extended period of time, other things have kept me busy. Sorry to hear of your grandson's problem but happier to see that it has been resolved and all is going well.

I can only imagine how you feel as my grandson is also named Zach and he is 9 and I know how I would feel were I in your position. Best wishes for his continued recovery.waveysmiley

BobbyKatLittleCub - 15-12-2007 at 00:33

Quote:
I'm told the operation did not take as long as the medical people had said it was likely to take, and that it went well. Zach is in recovery now. Because of the influence of the anesthetic, Zach may not be as clear in his thinking for a while, and they won't be able to evaluate subtle aspects of brain function until later.

The doctor told a few family members, and one of them told Tim, who told me, so I do not have any nuances of the original account. What I've been told is positive. Hallelujah! :D[badimg]http://www.karlsforums.com/xmas/dancingsantas.gif[/bad img][bad img]http://www.karlsforums.com/xmas/dancingsantas.gif[/bad img][badimg]http://www.karlsforums.com/xmas/dancingsantas.gif[/bad img]

[bad img]http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/327/femaleelf0ge.gif[/bad img] That is excellent news! [badimg]http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/8995/maleelf2qz.gif[/bad img]
Hopefully he will be home for Christmas.

scholar - 15-12-2007 at 00:40

Kitten!!:D:D:D
If he doesn't get an infection, I think he'll be home in advance of Christmas.

He might have a load of schoolwork to complete while the other kids are all on Christmas vacation.

I have thought that, if he is impaired in memory or any function, it will be a rough time for him as he works to catch up. If we lived in the same town, I would help him learn.

BobbyKatLittleCub - 15-12-2007 at 00:48

[bad img]http://img491.imageshack.us/img491/2798/shades7zn.gif[/bad img] I think he'll do well. After all, he has a lot of people praying for him.

Have you found which hospital he's in yet? Even if you can't get there, maybe you can ring him before he's released. [badimg]http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/1462/dgsmile0so.gif[/bad img]

the bear - 15-12-2007 at 00:55

Quote:

The doctor told a few family members, and one of them told Tim, who told me, so I do not have any nuances of the original account. What I've been told is positive. Hallelujah! :D[img

img]http://www.karlsforums.com/xmas/dancingsantas.gif[/img][img]http://www

That is indeed "Good news" .

Regards the Bear

scholar - 15-12-2007 at 02:00

Quote:
Originally posted by BobbyKatLittleCub
[bad img]http://img491.imageshack.us/img491/2798/shades7zn.gif[/bad img]Have you found which hospital he's in yet? Even if you can't get there,maybe you can ring him before he's released. [bad img]http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/1462/dgsmile0so.gif[/bad img]
I haven't been trying. Zach will be in intensive care for at least a few days. Tim and younger daughter will come back on Sunday, so I'll see him before Zach will be in a room with a phone. If he tells me the hospital, it'll save me a bigger phone bill.

LSemmens - 15-12-2007 at 13:39

Send a card, via Tim if you have to. Remember "A gentle answer turneth away wrath" in this situation, you want the best for Zac and do not need to hear of any stress on his part because of the actions of other family members, IYKWIM.

As for the job front, it does sound encouraging, and absolutely the right thing to ring and ask. It shows that you are keen to get to work and that you are interested enough to follow up. Had they said "Ring back in a month" and you'd rung back in a week, it might have worked against you, but, in this case, I think your timing was perfect! I'm still praying!

Swish Checkley - 15-12-2007 at 18:18

Good news! All best wishes for a continued improvement and recovery for Zach.

scholar - 15-12-2007 at 18:30

Thank you, Swish.
And Leigh, thank you for your prayers with regard to the job.

Badgergirl - 16-12-2007 at 00:47

*Huzzah* and Much Merriment!

I am so happy to hear this news:D

I also agree with the comments made regarding your efforts. Your family are now aware of your efforts to visit, and no matter what they think, the fact is that you didn't ignore young Zach.

scholar - 20-12-2007 at 02:02

Zach is now home from the hospital, but will have to go back to get his stitches taken out later. He seems fine, except for some memory loss which I was told was minor. He couldn't remember the password for his cell phone, for example. (I would find this worrisome, as he must have used his password any number of times. I wonder what else is missing from memory inventory? And I don't know, logically, how he could know what is missing.)

On the whole, good news. I don't know about his school schedule. His mother will stand up for him as fiercely as necessary. She does not give up so easily as I sometimes do.:D:D:D She inherited stubbornness from her mother and tenacity from me. (Which is a good trick, since I was not her first father.;))

the bear - 20-12-2007 at 09:44

Good news indeed, best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Regards the Bear waveysmiley

LSemmens - 20-12-2007 at 13:59

Just an encouragement for Zach, Scholar, I, too, have memory issues as a result of brain trauma. I had forgotten significant events from history leading up to my injury, some, with prompting, I have managed to recall, others, despite being assured that these events did happen, I cannot still recall some 6 years later! Some of those events, I have partial recollection of, but that is all. He may remember his passwords yet, it is only a short term, and there is still much to learn about acquired brain injury. I'm sure that, were I to repeat some of the tests that I did less well in just after my accident, that the results would be improved. There is still much to learn about the brain and its methods of adapting. I have 21% permanent brain damage. A person who only knew me casually, like on here, may not even notice it. Those close to me, however, can see it. I was blessed in that, many of the areas of damage where not widely used by me!

Quaver - 20-12-2007 at 14:02

Glad he's doing wellwaveysmiley