Karl`s PC Help Forums

Cultural Christian
marymary100 - 10-12-2007 at 17:45

Do you think that people who are atheist can be cultural Christians? link

janet - 10-12-2007 at 18:06

I think it's a neat little "it weren't me, guv, honest" - that the threat (if there is one) to Christian celebrations comes from "other religions".

Oddly, I've heard a lot of complaints about Christmas celebrations, etc., but never from members of any of the "six great faiths" - generally, the complaints have come from those who eschew any faith at all.

marymary100 - 10-12-2007 at 18:19

I've never quite got why non-believers would want to join in religious based celebrations. The tree etc isn't that Christian as we all know but why sing carols? "Oh come let us adore him."

scholar - 10-12-2007 at 19:30

I agree with Janet, that it has mostly been atheists or agnostics who have compalined over Christian observances--and I think they do a disservice to all the atheists and agnostics who are tolerant of Christian celebrations.

I can understand the point of view of the objecting atheists and agnostics, however. If I were living in an Islamic society, I would not want my children singing the praises of Allah as part of their school experience.

LSemmens - 11-12-2007 at 12:24

This man would have to be a huge big Pot calling Kettles Black! I suspect that he would be among the first to accuse Christians of hypocrisy if they were to be seen singing praises to Allah or participating in some of the older pagan festivals. If he is a true Atheist, which, based on his own admission, I doubt. He would not celebrate Christmas, let alone sing Carols! I wonder if he also enjoys a break over Easter. Maybe I am being too unfair on him, maybe he celebrates Hanukkah and Ramadan (sp?) too. Far from being an atheist, he may well be a theist who just hasn't worked out which god he should worship!