Karl`s PC Help Forums

Family Oriented "Excursion" on German Railroad
JackInCT - 19-6-2017 at 13:01

Family Oriented "Excursion" on German Railroad

Attribution: Railpictures.net uploaded; pix taken May, 2017 by a photog by the name of "J Neu" in Mildenburg, Germany.

There was no info in the pix's ID caption. But it is obvious that this is a narrow guage RR [for the unitiated, RR track widths can roughly be categorized as 'narrow', 'standard', and 'broad' guages].

At the level of a total guess, seeing that "jitney" in the background filled with passengers, this theory occurs to me as to what is going on: here in the USA, when a RR ceases operation/is abandoned, sometimes it occurs that segments of the track are bought up by a local RR historical society, and a seasonal level of operations are offered; this would include some entrepeneur using the defunct line as a tourist attraction touring the countryside.

The pictured "vehicle" in USA RR parlance employes what is call a Hi-Rail modification, and the tech is utilized in a wide variety of motorized vehicles that can travel both on roadways as well as track (the vehicle's motor propels the vehicle). The "Hi" refers to hydraulics that lifts the vehicle on/off the track (usually at a grade crossing) so that the permanently attached RR wheels are in contact, or no longer in contact, with the rails.

Whatever brings out this family, it looks like a very interesting and unusual way for a family outing. I especially enjoyed the intense look on the toddler's face.

There are similar, very limited re scope offerings, in the USA when private owners band together as a kind of hobby club atmosphere and "rents" track for a short while and scoot about in restored RR small maintenance vehicles (and the RR shuts down operations on its track when the "meet" is in progress). I will post a pix the next time a meet's pix is uploaded.

marymary100 - 19-6-2017 at 16:15

One for Katsy I should imagine.

LSemmens - 20-6-2017 at 01:58

I like the scooter. Our service vehicles have always been a little more utilitarian than that.

Katzy - 20-6-2017 at 09:05

Beeching'd soon stop anything like that happening... ;)

John_Little - 20-6-2017 at 09:59

Here is a narrow gauge railway that is in commercial use every day. People - mainly school kids - use it to commute.

http://www.rhdr.org.uk/about.html

We've been on it a few times. Bit draughty in the winter.

JackInCT - 20-6-2017 at 16:52

Quote:
Originally posted by John_Little
Here is a narrow gauge railway that is in commercial use every day....

Thanks so much for the URL. It looks like a fantastic train. I especially like, fantasy wise, the Drive A Train link on its website.
Hmm. By the way, there is (maybe was at this point) a historical RR somewhere in the USA that offers a comparable service re learning to drive a train. The track length was relatively short (somewhere around 10 miles or so), but the "student" got to drive (under supervision of course) a full size old EMD high hood geep era diesel on standard gauge track. I don't remember what the fee was.

Addendum: a quick Google search turned up one museum in California that has a Learn To Drive A Loco program. Pix of one of 4 of its locos used for that program embedded: 1959 built diesel. I didn't look up how much track, lengthwise, you had to work with, or top speed they would let you reach--I suppose letting the "renter" blow the whistle would "satisfy" a great many renters. By the way, there is a decent size market in the USA for old (used) diesel airhorns, and at least some of the buyers mount them on their pick up trucks. And yes, as to be expected in the USA, there is quite the "rivalry" as per website forums which airhorn sounds "better" than another.

Katzy - 20-6-2017 at 17:37

Ah, yes. The Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch Railway. I think that must be the most uncomfortable journey I've ever made, by rail. Except, perhaps, for a trip on the old FFestiniog railway.