Karl`s PC Help Forums

Example Of "X-Ray Photography"
JackInCT - 5-5-2017 at 19:15

Example Of "X-Ray Photography"

This is an example of what is, generically speaking re a 'label', called X-Ray Photography [may be known by other labels]. It is NOT done with an x-ray machine, but by a series of still photos that have been stitched together.

I could not find the URL for any explanations of just how this technique is accomplished (it exists, or at least existed some time ago that I read).

It is not an ultracomplicated technique, but it does require re being used by amateur photogs permission and the cooperation of the RR involved (the loco has to be stationery, and the panels covering the internal workings of the loco have to be opened, etc., i. e., it is not a 1-2-3 photo shoot + the post-editing work).

To make sure of what anyone is seeing, this is NOT some kind of a drawing but actually involves a camera.

Attribution: Casey Thomason; Mr Thomason is the official (paid employee type) company photographer for the CSX RR, and posted this pix on railpictures.net. The CSX RR is a freight RR serving major markets in the eastern United States (the USA has 7 major freight RRs each of which, serve a large geographic area with some overlap among these RRs; Canadian operations are also involved).

You are looking at the 16 cyclinder diesel engine (those round circles near the bottom), and only part of the engine is visible. There are some pixs around somewhere of the entire innards of a diesel loco photographed with this technique. I consider this type of photography a kind of equivalent of the cut away drawing.

I suspect that Mr Thomason in his capacity as official photographer got RR maintenance to wash and degrease the engine, i. e., I think these internal areas are typically filthy.

LSemmens - 6-5-2017 at 01:20

With modern techniques, i.e. photoshop et.al. it is rather simple to create such an image.
The process would be similar to, and,I'm guessing here:

1 mount camera on a tripod, or similar stable platform
2 take a series of photos of the object as it is slowly dismantled
3 import all images into photoshop
4 combine each image in reverse order setting each layer (image) as slightly more transparent as the previous.

John_Little - 6-5-2017 at 07:53

Still good, though.

scholar - 7-5-2017 at 21:46

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens

4 combine each image in reverse order setting each layer (image) as slightly more transparent as the previous.

"slightly more transparent"--is this something in photoshop, where a person can set the value higher or lower? (I remember some image program I had that let me set a value for "lightness" that let me make darker images appear as though there had been more light when the pic was taken.)

JackInCT - 7-5-2017 at 23:21

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
...is this something in photoshop...

The image that I posted is not the first of its kind on the website that I copied it from.

There were a series of others some time back [I think all done by the same photog] that I was unsuccessful in finding since I had to use text to do a search on the website and if the photog used other verbiage, no joy finding them re keywords.

I do recall that the ID caption for one of the pixs spelled out in detail how the photog pulled it off (to include a pix of an entire loco). Google turn out zilch re a tech explanation (at least in regard to diesel locos).

Oddly, when I did the searches (more than one), there weren't a large number of images re hits. "Oddly" because I would think that it's a neat toy to play with if you had the gear.

JackInCT - 7-5-2017 at 23:45

Voila, I found the hit.

Attribution: one Anthony Dickson posted on railpictures.net back in 2012.

His ID caption reads, in part, "No, this is not Photoshop trickery. This is some creative light painting. With camera in Bulb I opened every car body door and painted the guts of the engine with a flash light. A technique I discovered while searching the web. They did it to a car, I just super sized the concept."

Now you know as much as I do especially with regard to just where/what on the web he is referring. In the caption for another pix he refers to this as "light painting technique"

So in doing a Google with the search words "light painting technique photography" I got quite a few hits re gear & various techniques--mystery solved!

LSemmens - 8-5-2017 at 09:26

Interesting. If I had the time and inclination, actually, I am so inclined but lack the time, I'd love to try this.

JackInCT - 8-5-2017 at 12:18

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
.... I'd love to try this.

Some of the hits both text and uTube spell out the minimum set of gear that you would need, i. e., "starter kits" [which you would put together onyour own]. The end products, on a case by case basis, need "accessories", i. e., without them for a particular project, you would not be able to "replicate"/mimic the end product.

I suspect that a huge amount of trial and error, time wise especially, is in store for a beginner.