Karl`s PC Help Forums

Advice please ...
Nimuae - 30-6-2015 at 12:10

Given that I am not a photographer - just a happy snapper, I would appreciate some advice on buying a new camera.

The one I am using is a Canon Ixus 700, 7.1 Megapixels, 3 x Optical zoom. I like it because it is compact enough to fit in my handbag and it takes good clear photos - but - after a trip to Flamborough and seen baby Puffins, Gillemots etc., I have itchy fingers for something with a more powerful zoom.

I have seen another Canon, the PowerShot A4000, 16.0 Megapixels, 8 x Optical Zoom - it looks good and is certainly compact.

Should I go for that - or is there something similar but better?

marymary100 - 30-6-2015 at 15:04

Advice from photography blog with sample shots on subsequent pages. I have a couple of these at work for my 15 year old students to use and they are good enough for them to get decent shots as long as they have the "eye" for an interesting image.

Nimuae - 30-6-2015 at 16:25

Thanks, MM, certainly food for thought.

the bear - 30-6-2015 at 19:21

Nim, It depends on your budget. I have a Lumix TZ70

18 megapixels
30 x Zoom

It's very robust, chunky enough to hold yet slim enough to pop in your pocket.

Lots of features yet easy to use. :)

I think I paid about 270.00

Regards the Bear. waveysmiley

Nimuae - 30-6-2015 at 20:10

Sounds good to me Mr Bear - will check it out.

the bear - 30-6-2015 at 21:34

Quote:
Originally posted by Nimuae
Sounds good to me Mr Bear - will check it out.

There is a less costly version, less pixels, less zoom but still a lot of camera. :)

Regards the Bear waveysmiley

LSemmens - 1-7-2015 at 05:36

What you must appreciate is the difference between digital zoom and optical zoom. Optical Zoom is way better as you are actually moving "closer" to the picture with the lens. Digital zoom is sort of like magnifying the picture after you've taken it.

If you are looking at flexibility with the possibilities of getting "up close and personal" with wildlife, then a digital SLR with a telephoto lens may be a better choice. If, then you find you want to take some close ups of a nice flower, or bug, then a macro lens is an option. I'm not sure of your budget, but an economical SLR may not be too far out of the range of a high end point and shoot.

Hopefully RW will weigh in with his professional opinion.

Nimuae - 1-7-2015 at 05:56

Thanks Leigh - as I said I am not a proper photographer, just a happy snapper - and I do not want to go down the road of having to take a camera bag with a selection of lens. My handbag and binoculars are enough to cope with. What ever I buy will have to travel in my handbag. Mr Bear's Lumix sounds ideal.

LSemmens - 1-7-2015 at 06:49

Nor am I Nim. But I do appreciate the flexibility that the DSLR has offered me. I purchased one of the early "mainstream" digital cameras and that served me well for about 5 years but did frustrate me as I had owned a film SLR for most of my life. I then purchased a SLR body from my daughter who upgraded her machine. I picked up a 80 - 300 zoom which is great for panoramas and with the Conon Photostitch software, provided I keep myself on the same focal plane, I can create great panorama shots out of several shots. My next investment will be a "nifty 50" for the happy snaps as the zoom is a little too long for close shots.

LSemmens - 1-7-2015 at 06:55

This will give you some idea as it was made up of around 5 shots.

the bear - 1-7-2015 at 17:21

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
This will give you some idea as it was made up of around 5 shots.

50 Sheds of Grey eh? lips_sealed

Nimuae - 1-7-2015 at 18:08

Wow, Leigh, that is brilliant!

LSemmens - 2-7-2015 at 01:48

That was just a quick snap of the back yard. No major effort involved. You could probably do the same with a happy snapper bunt not to the same detail. (I had to reduce the image size to 1/16th size just to post it here.)

Quaver - 2-7-2015 at 14:45

I'm not going to buy a new camera just yet, but am interested in one those compact mirrorless SLRs.
Hubby has normal digital SLR, but it's way too heavy.

the bear - 2-7-2015 at 18:57

Quote:
Originally posted by Quaver
I'm not going to buy a new camera just yet, but am interested in one those compact mirrorless SLRs.
Hubby has normal digital SLR, but it's way too heavy.

I have a number of cameras but find the Lumix is really handy, I can have it on my belt ready for that candid shot. :)

marymary100 - 2-7-2015 at 19:07

I just use my phone. It has 41-megapixels which means the zoom gives a decent picture.

the bear - 2-7-2015 at 20:38

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
I just use my phone. It has 41-megapixels which means the zoom gives a decent picture.

I don't take many photos with my phone, I tend to keep them separate. :)

Best regards, the Bear waveysmiley

marymary100 - 2-7-2015 at 21:19

My phone is better than most cameras though. :)

scholar - 3-7-2015 at 10:37

I finally got a camera phone to replace my previous government phone, but I have not mastered it yet. Presently, my son has it most of the time so that we can reach him, since one of the house guests stole both his cheap cell phone and the smart phone he had gotten for his birthday.

LSemmens - 3-7-2015 at 11:35

It sounds as though you must needs be a little more circumspect as to whom you permit through your doors, Scholar. Christ was compassionate, but he did not suffer fools nor did he welcome all into the kingdom. They did have to "qualify" before he would permit them to say, "Abba, Father".

marymary100 - 3-7-2015 at 14:46

Took this one today with my phone without making any adjustments.

[bad img]http://i.imgur.com/hNgFbtv.jpg[/bad img]

Whereas this is an iPad without a zoom in similar light.

[bad img]http://i.imgur.com/Njcr0ph.jpg[/bad img]

the bear - 4-7-2015 at 00:23

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
Took this one today with my phone without making any adjustments.

[bad img]http://i.imgur.com/hNgFbtv.jpg[/bad img]

Whereas this is an iPad without a zoom in similar light.

[bad img]http://i.imgur.com/Njcr0ph.jpg[/bad img]

Nice clear photo's :)

LSemmens - 4-7-2015 at 01:51

Both pretty good, though, the first may be slightly under exposed. The effect, though, is great and you would not really want any more light. FWIW, you can always "darken" a picture, but "lightening" it does not improve the clarity.