Karl`s PC Help Forums

Thaipusam
Quaver - 27-1-2013 at 08:24

I don't know how many of you are Hindu. I'm not, but today is Thaipusam daywaveysmiley

From Wiki:

Quote:

Thai Poosam is a Hindu festival celebrated mostly by the Tamil community on the full moon in the Tamil month of Thai (January/February).

The simplest kavadi is a semicircular decorated canopy supported by a wooden rod that is carried on the shoulders, to the temple. In addition, some have a small spear through their tongue, or a spear through the cheeks. The spear pierced through his tongue or cheeks reminds him constantly of Lord Murugan. It also prevents him from speaking and gives great power of endurance.

Other types of kavadi involve hooks stuck into the back and either pulled by another walking behind or being hung from a decorated bullock cart or more recently a tractor, with the point of incisions of the hooks varying the level of pain.

And this is the photo I've taken today:

[bad img]http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z80/qquaver/Thaipusam_zpsdc9ae7d0.jpg[/bad img]

Nimuae - 27-1-2013 at 10:08

I think I'll give that one a miss - thanks all the same !

marymary100 - 27-1-2013 at 10:32

Painful. shocked_yellow

John_Little - 27-1-2013 at 10:49

Hindu Gods are like Catholic saints! prolific.

Quaver - 27-1-2013 at 11:41

They looked really at peace, not in pain.
But I think I'll give this a miss too;)

LSemmens - 27-1-2013 at 13:26

Probably at peace because of all the alcohol they had to swallow before accepting such a stupid dare, anyway!