Karl`s PC Help Forums

Happiness is...
Redwolf5150 - 6-10-2011 at 14:33

After two years of dreaming about it, I started working on converting our second garage into a photo studio a month ago.

While it STILL isn't pretty -- cosmetics such as new ceiling and drywalling the walls will be a winter project -- it is now fully functional and I can work with two backgrounds simultaneously thanks to my ingenious background support system in the ceiling.

Here's two portraits I've done recently in my "knock the rust off my studio skills" practice.

[bad img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/redwolf5150/92511-1_0276Jackie3.jpg[/bad img]

Hard to believe Jackie is 57, isn't it?

[bad img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/redwolf5150/10511-1_0209Allie1.jpg[/bad img]

Jackie's middle child Allie.

As I get more of the cosmetic work done, more capabilities will start being possible.

I've always wanted the ability to do studio work whenever I want. Now I can.

NOW to make it start paying for itself.

:)

Redwolf5150 - 6-10-2011 at 14:35

Allie's portrait is an example of how I shoot people with physical or mental disabilities.

The same as I shoot people without them!

I want everyone I photograph to look their absolute best!

marymary100 - 6-10-2011 at 16:32

Always nice to have a private work space!

Nimuae - 6-10-2011 at 19:01

Lovely portraits! I wish you every success.

Redwolf5150 - 7-10-2011 at 01:48

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100

I am more inclined to do personal ARTISTIC work in my own "private work space."

Wink, wink! Nudge, nudge!

skidaddleskidaddleskidaddleskidaddleskidaddleskidaddle

LSemmens - 7-10-2011 at 12:56

Quote:
Originally posted by Redwolf5150
Quote:

You'd better not let Jackie see that or you may find yourself living in the "private work space",waggyfinger;)

Redwolf5150 - 7-10-2011 at 16:52

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
Quote:
Originally posted by Redwolf5150
Quote:

You'd better not let Jackie see that or you may find yourself living in the "private work space",waggyfinger;)

I'm slowly wearing down her resistance to the idea of HER posing for me in such an artistic way.

;)

marymary100 - 7-10-2011 at 16:57

Tell her she'll never be as young again as she is today...;)

Redwolf5150 - 7-10-2011 at 17:00

Here is a 10 shot panorama taken from on top of the studio desk that encompasses almost all four corners (cuts off by The Bay door). This is after three weeks work cleaning it out and cleaning it up as well as a temporary track system in the ceiling to handle multiple backgrounds.

[bad img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/redwolf5150/Sanctum10-6.jpg[/bad img]

Here is a diagram I whipped up in Indesign that is going to help me MAXIMIZE the shooting space while also giving me the most flexibility in what I can do. Note NOTHING is on it other than the dimensions.

[bad img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/redwolf5150/Sanctumdesigndiagram.jpg[/bad img]

As I have already proven, she is functional. She just isn't very easy on the eyes right now. But I can show you on that diagram HOW many pieces of drywall it would take to do the perimeter as well as the ceiling.

My Sanctum Sanitarium is taking shape. Just to the point where it is MONEY that drives the dream now.

Redwolf5150 - 7-10-2011 at 17:08

There are THREE windows in the Sanctum, facing south, west and north. (The north one has a BIG pine tree shading it, however).

In the pano photo, the south and north windows are covered by either plywood strips or a Chicago Bulls blanket.

I know the windows are of interest to my fellow photographers. I've designed frames with white cloth to cover them for daylight shooting and with a solid piece of drywall when not or for privacy.

Can't build THOSE until I drywall around the windows and know the final dimensions.

I have a queen size sheet tacked up over the southern DOUBLE window on the left in the pano shot. There is also one of two backgrounds (white) hanging near that window. The other one (black) is hiding in the shadows on the right.

I can have up to four background poles suspended from the ceiling at one time, with the current jury rigged system.

Then there will eventually be walls on wheels, like stage flats, that I will also have for specific purposes, say a "baby wall" with two different wallpaper patterns. I will also have several LARGE green screen flats that can be turned literally into anything in regards to a background or mood setting.

Like I said, it's all about the Benjamin's now.

Redwolf5150 - 7-10-2011 at 17:18

And the most important aspect of the studio -- as it stands right NOW -- is that it is 100 percent handicap accessible!

This is important as at least ONE of my soon-to-be competitor's studio is NOT!

victor - 7-10-2011 at 22:59

Keep up the good work you are doing a great job.

waffler - 8-10-2011 at 00:00

Happiness Is

Cold Beer after Work cheers:beer2)

LSemmens - 8-10-2011 at 01:06

Looks great, RW. I'd love to come and help you create that space, it looks like it would be an interesting, and rewarding challenge. A suggestion for the windows, as you are looking to provide different covers for the openings, what about hanging those covers on a sliding door track, so that you can open or close them as required. If you don't want them visible when open you could hide them behind a false wall, which, if needed could have a flush mount door in it which, when closed would hide the window opening all together.

Redwolf5150 - 8-10-2011 at 04:10

Okay, with Allie's help, I got ALL the measurements I needed to plot where all the infrastructure is in the studio.

[bad img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/redwolf5150/Sanctumdesigndiagrambefore.jpg[/bad img]

NOW I can start figuring costs to do small pieces of the overall puzzle.

kewl_glasses

Redwolf5150 - 8-10-2011 at 04:12

Adobe InDesign was probably NEVER intended to be used as a CAD program.

But hey, I have it, I know how to use it, so I used it.

As Jackie is ALWAYS telling me:

"Whatever floats your boat and blows your hair back!"

Redwolf5150 - 8-10-2011 at 04:19

Quote:
Looks great, RW. I'd love to come and help you create that space, it looks like it would be an interesting, and rewarding challenge. A suggestion for the windows, as you are looking to provide different covers for the openings, what about hanging those covers on a sliding door track, so that you can open or close them as required. If you don't want them visible when open you could hide them behind a false wall, which, if needed could have a flush mount door in it which, when closed would hide the window opening all together.

I'm sure Jackie will have a few ideas. She's better with tools than I have.

She knows how to dry wall, which I don't, for example.

So this whole project is a learning experience as to what is feasible NOW, and what is going to have to take money to solve, and trusting Jackie's instincts, which haven't been wrong yet.

Redwolf5150 - 31-10-2011 at 03:08

The business half or shooting area of "The Sanctum" as of Oct. 29, 2011

[bad img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/redwolf5150/102911Sanctumpano.jpg[/bad img]

With the capability of throwing up a 6x9 foot green screen in the middle to use any of 300 digital backgrounds I own, the studio is all but operational. (Dressing area and HEAT next problems to tackle).

Hopefully my "Garage Sale," along with the addition later next week of loose prints, will help me finance the supplies to finish the interior until I can get the studio generating income.

:D

Redwolf5150 - 31-10-2011 at 03:10

BTW, I used three of my four studio strobes as the only light in that pano (put together from three shots, but lighting didn't change).

So I have lighting power, if I care to crank the knobs to "11."

kewl_glasses

Nimuae - 31-10-2011 at 07:27

This is very exciting - and looking good !

the bear - 31-10-2011 at 22:51

HAPPINESS IS?

its the simple things in life .....Clean dry straw forthe cave :)

Regards the Bear

LSemmens - 1-11-2011 at 04:44

A good little program for drawing plans etc is Google Sketchup, and it's free!

Redwolf5150 - 7-11-2011 at 17:28

[bad img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/redwolf5150/15Studs11-6-11.jpg[/bad img]

Almost ready to start hanging drywall on the NorthWest side of the shooting area.

First have to lay sheet insulation in the framed squares then run a stud down the middle of it.

Stage TWO: Renovation -- has begun.

Redwolf5150 - 7-11-2011 at 17:32

By next summer, I'll be ready for my grand plan to rip out two thirds of the ceiling.

THAT is gonna be a pain because the old man who used to own this place used SAWDUST to insulate the roofs of the two garages.

EVERYTHING will have to be moved out when we start the renovation overhead.

scared_stiffscared_stiffscared_stiffscared_stiff

Once the new walls are up we are tackling up a kind size white sheet over each corner and ignoring it for the winter.

kewl_glasses

Redwolf5150 - 11-11-2011 at 23:31

[bad img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/redwolf5150/111011-1_0023Jittyandthepole.jpg[/bad img]

Jackie (who is serving as slavedri... errr, I mean foreman) and her motivational tool standing in front of the framed and insulated and ready to drywall Northwest Corner.

Thank you very much honey for helping me CORRECTLY get this far.

This represents 1/4 of the interior ready to drywall. It took 15 2x4x7 and 16 2x3x8 studs and three rolls of insulation. We estimate it will take seven sheets of drywall to cover.

LSemmens - 13-11-2011 at 14:38

I hope you've remembered to run wires for electricals and communications before the drywall goes up.

Redwolf5150 - 16-11-2011 at 16:40

Quote:
I hope you've remembered to run wires for electricals and communications before the drywall goes up.

The garage had its wiring redone right before it went on the market. There are three outlets in the path of the drywall along with conduit. You can see one of them in use in the photo of Jackie.

I would like to upgrade the whole electrical in the garage to allow for more outlets and data wiring on the office side, which we probably won't do until spring when we can move stuff out of the building entirely.

Plus I have to hire a contractor for that.

LSemmens - 17-11-2011 at 12:53

Whilst the walls are out, now is the best time to prepare for the future, by all means get a qualified person to do the "real" work, but you can prepare for the future by, not only, running conduits, but also installing draw wires in said conduits for ease of installing the appropriate cables down the road. A small cost now, may save a huge one later on.