Karl`s PC Help Forums

Photoshop programmes
the bear - 18-9-2010 at 07:11

I an attempt to improve my photography I want to get to grips with a Paint programme over the winter.

Can any one recommend one ( basic) that is easy to follow?

I run XP on my PC

Regards the Bear

Faolan - 18-9-2010 at 07:27

Photoshop Elements is fairly cheap and is often included hardware.

GIMP is free, but can be quirky.

Paintshop Pro might still be lurking.

Then you have Photoshop with is a maze to learn.

What you looking to do?

the bear - 18-9-2010 at 08:09

Hi Faolan
Not really sure, I want to improve the finished image, I very much want to do some prints in B&W, and quite like Sepia finish

Cropping and colour enhancement, I have also seen images that look as though they have been printed on oil with weired tones and Dali like shapes ( Portraits ).

In the main its a matter of finding out what effects can be achieved.

Regards the Bear

marymary100 - 18-9-2010 at 09:32

Irfan view is free to download and does the basics including sharpening, sepia etc. Once you've played around with that you might want to try something less basic.

the bear - 18-9-2010 at 09:58

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
Irfan view is free to download and does the basics including sharpening, sepia etc. Once you've played around with that you might want to try something less basic.

Thanks MM, that sounds as if its a good starting point, I'll certainly take a look.

Best regards the Bear waveysmiley

Daz - 18-9-2010 at 19:54

Irfanview for me everytime. Then CS4 for the more fiddly stuff, which rarely sees the light of day...

the bear - 18-9-2010 at 21:51

Quote:
Originally posted by Daz
Irfanview for me everytime. Then CS4 for the more fiddly stuff, which rarely sees the light of day...

Thanks Daz, I intend to give it a coat of looking

Regards the Bear

Sparry - 14-10-2010 at 21:24

A bit late in the day I suppose, but, try these. 'BWorks' & 'DCEnhance'. Do a Google.

the bear - 15-10-2010 at 01:41

Quote:
Originally posted by Sparry
A bit late in the day I suppose, but, try these. 'BWorks' & 'DCEnhance'. Do a Google.

Sparry thanks for the info, its not to late at all, as previous I intend the photoshop practice to be a winter task.

I have noted the info and will look at it in due course.

Regards the Bear