Karl`s PC Help Forums

Our Pond
DeWitch - 1-9-2010 at 02:07

It's big so I just put a link to it
Our Pond

scholar - 1-9-2010 at 03:10

Oh, my gosh! shocked_yellow Just how big is it?

I had to shrink my browser view considerably just to get it all on my screen at one time!

Is it just for viewing? Is it OK for swimming? Do you stock it with fish? (Fishing fish, or pet fish?)

I would guess Bear doesn't swim, because of his arthritis. Does Boo?

And I'm sure Jasper Jax and Magik don't care to swim. :P:P:P:P

the bear - 1-9-2010 at 03:24

Quote:
Originally posted by DeWitch
It's big so I just put a link to it
Our Pond

You'll need a lot of Koi Carp to stock that, its a beautiful spot by the way.

Regards the Bear

John_Little - 1-9-2010 at 09:01

That is a big pond. Did you actually make it?

DeWitch - 1-9-2010 at 15:23

Hi all,
The pond is not really that big but the photo is:)
The pond is about 75' by 80' and 10' deep at a rough estimate.

Yes Scholar it can be used for swimming, the vet said that would be wonderful exercise to strengthen Bear's bad leg back up. We had to order a life jacket for him though since his hair would weigh him down, when it finally got here I had injured my leg and got an infection and it still isn't better so couldn't take him in and the water is too cold for my wimpy Hubby;) ha ha ha. It is fed from the overflow from our very abundant well so it is very cold.

Bear, yes a lot of fish could go in there and there are big rocks int he bottom for them to hide in from the herons, etc. But we have not put any fish in yet.

John, when we moved here all that water was just running off into the woods and the wetlands on the other side. We were having an addition put on so the excavator was here to dig out for the basement. Being a Pisces I love the water and so we made a deal with them to also dig out the pond. They actually went above an beyond and put in a lovely rocky water feature where the water goes into the pond. Will have to post a photo of that.
The lawn swing is right beside it now:)
It is wonderful to sit out there and listen to the water flowing over the rocks into the pond.

Daz - 1-9-2010 at 15:35

That looks, and sounds lovely DW. Hope you are happy in your new home.

waveysmiley

Redwolf5150 - 1-9-2010 at 16:59

Needs flowers

Lots and LOTS of flowers!

:D

DeWitch - 1-9-2010 at 17:16

Quote:
Originally posted by Daz
That looks, and sounds lovely DW. Hope you are happy in your new home.

waveysmiley

Thank you so much Daz.
I am almost afraid to say how very happy I am here in fear of jinxing it.
So far it has been quiet and Heavenly.
Hoards of wonderful dragonflies (I LOVE them) keep the nasty insects down.
And the wildlife has been much enjoyed, deer, turkeys, heron, loons, ducks, geese, frogs, turtles, many birds and I know there are moose and bear too but they have not shown themselves yet.

DeWitch - 1-9-2010 at 17:29

Quote:
Originally posted by Redwolf5150
Needs flowers

Lots and LOTS of flowers!

If you've got the money Honey, I've got the time.
(and ambition)

We have 5 acres and it is almost all open so I would need to win the lottery to cover it:)

It needs tons of landscaping and we have already spent a lot on the pond and trying to get all the areas of lawn going since it wasn't done well plus was neglected for the almost two years that the house was on the market. PLUS we started the new lawn all around the pond too.

The front and side yards are very big and you can see from the pond that the back is too.

Out front and on one side we have planted 6 rhodies, a hydrangea tree, rose bush, butterfly bushes, hostas, lady's mantle, a fir tree.
The other side we have planted a 50 - 60 foot row of small willow type saplings.
Behind the pond we put in three weeping willows.
I want to get some maple trees to plant this Autumn since summer was too hot to plant them. Would love some winterberry bushes too.

Need to find away to make some money so I can do all that I would love to do to it.

marymary100 - 1-9-2010 at 17:42

Stunning! flowers_kf

Redwolf5150 - 1-9-2010 at 17:46

Perennial seeds are cheap.

DeWitch - 1-9-2010 at 19:08

Quote:

Yeah I know that but they also take time

DeWitch - 1-9-2010 at 19:08

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
Stunning! flowers_kf

Thanks
loved the clouds reflected in it

Redwolf5150 - 1-9-2010 at 20:16

Quote:
Quote:

Can you think of a better way to SPEND time?

;)

DeWitch - 2-9-2010 at 03:44

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Can you think of a better way to SPEND time?
;)

umm...
Sitting in the lawn swing listening to the water & watching the dragonflies:)
Walking with Boo and searching for the loons I hear nearby.
Helping Bear get around.
Watering the expansive lawns.
Planting shrubs & trees which are VERY needed.
I still have perennials, trees & shrubs that I brought with me that need planting in a permanent place but need to decide where I want them first.

You can see what we started with and what we have done so far HERE

the bear - 2-9-2010 at 08:30

Quote:
Quote:

Ten packs of wildflower seeds, will divide and multiply in 5 years youll have a self generating realm of colour.
You can also buy a few geraniums and take 15 / 20 cuttings off each and do the same each year. bulbs like irises can be lifted and split each year as can lots of other things.

Regards the Bear

John_Little - 2-9-2010 at 08:47

I am seriously impressed now I know you did make it - or at least commission it.

LSemmens - 2-9-2010 at 12:47

Bulbs also work well. Friend's garden started out with a few bulbs many years back and is now a magnificent display every year. Click on Avondale Road, Rhynie to see one picture. (My speed has been capped for the end of month, so cannot find more at present)

DeWitch - 2-9-2010 at 21:53

Quote:
Originally posted by the bear
Quote:
Quote:

Ten packs of wildflower seeds, will divide and multiply in 5 years youll have a self generating realm of colour.
You can also buy a few geraniums and take 15 / 20 cuttings off each and do the same each year. bulbs like irises can be lifted and split each year as can lots of other things.

Regards the Bear

Yes:)
Been there - done all that at the other houses we had.
Brought some with me here too.
Also brougt the "compost pile" and once again we will have a pumpkin from it this year.
The huge potted geranium on the front porch that is in the photos on the link in my last post is one I have had for years.
Move it into the house for the winter every year since they would not survive the winters here

DeWitch - 2-9-2010 at 21:58

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
Bulbs also work well. Friend's garden started out with a few bulbs many years back and is now a magnificent display every year. Click on Avondale Road, Rhynie to see one picture. (My speed has been capped for the end of month, so cannot find more at present)

Beautiful but we are limited in what type of bulbs will winter over here.
Digging them up to store every winter is not my idea of fun ;)

Do have some irises, daffodils and lilies that stay in the ground over winter that I brought with me from my other house.

DeWitch - 2-9-2010 at 22:01

Quote:
Originally posted by John_Little
I am seriously impressed now I know you did make it - or at least commission it.

Thank you John:)
Did you see the photos I put on Picasa of the start to finish of the pond?
And some things we have done to the place since we have been here?

Redwolf5150 - 3-9-2010 at 02:27

I keep forgetting you are a zone north of us.

*brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr*

Me no LIVE there in Winter!

delanti - 3-9-2010 at 02:35

Glad to see you back lovely one. Have you received a card from the old neighbors saying they miss you?skidaddle

Seriously, nice pond and as soon as I finish this I will be off to Picasa to check out the latest. I have tons of seed pods on both my white and purple Rose of Sharon if you are interested.waveysmiley

John_Little - 3-9-2010 at 10:35

Quote:

I'm not sure. Post a link and I'll have a look anyway.

DeWitch - 3-9-2010 at 12:51

Quote:
Quote:

I'm not sure. Post a link and I'll have a look anyway.

PHOTOS

John_Little - 3-9-2010 at 18:00

Thank Dewitch but I think I'll have to look at them when I'm back at home because they are taking too long to load on this bad connection.

DeWitch - 3-9-2010 at 19:35

Quote:
Originally posted by delanti
Glad to see you back lovely one. Have you received a card from the old neighbors saying they miss you?skidaddle

Seriously, nice pond and as soon as I finish this I will be off to Picasa to check out the latest. I have tons of seed pods on both my white and purple Rose of Sharon if you are interested.waveysmiley

Hi there Delanti:)
ha ha ha - No, no cards from the old neighbors but I did get a nasty remark from one as I drove by the day I was leaving so I stopped the car, slammed it in reverse, spun the tires back to her and smilingly told her to rot in Hell.devilhot

Thanks on the pond:) I am loving it.

The seed pods sound great - wonder how the Rose of Sharon would do here. Have read that they do well in the North.

Hope the photo site worked out for you.

DeWitch - 3-9-2010 at 19:41

Quote:
Thank Dewitch but I think I'll have to look at them when I'm back at home because they are taking too long to load on this bad connection.

Hi there John,
Sorry on that, I probably should have done less photos and more albums, especially since we do not have a fast connection here either.
Had to get satellite out here in the real boonies and Wildblue really sucks but the only other options are Hughes, which they say is just as bad, or dial-up.

delanti - 4-9-2010 at 01:08

The photo site worked fine and when I lived in NY I had a nice Rose of Sharon bush behind my garage.waveysmiley

the bear - 4-9-2010 at 01:49

Quote:
Quote:

Hi there John,
Sorry on that, I probably should have done less photos and more albums, especially since we do not have a fast connection here either.
Had to get satellite out here in the real boonies and Wildblue really sucks but the only other options are Hughes, which they say is just as bad, or dial-up.

The photos worked well for me.

It must be really exciting to have a blank canvas so to speak.

Regards the Bear

scholar - 4-9-2010 at 02:13

Quote:
Also brougt the "compost pile"
You brought a compost pile with you when you moved from one house to another?!shocked_yellowshocked_yellow

I have known you for years now, DeWitch, but you continue to surprise me!:D:P:P You are definitely one of a kind!

DeWitch - 4-9-2010 at 03:14

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
Quote:
You brought a compost pile with you when you moved from one house to another?!shocked_yellowshocked_yellow

I have known you for years now, DeWitch, but you continue to surprise me!:D:P:P You are definitely one of a kind!

HA HA HA
That compost pile had been "working" for may years and was loaded with awesome black soil and earthworms - just could not leave them when we need so much here in the way of planting.

the bear - 4-9-2010 at 06:41

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
Quote:

HA HA HA
That compost pile had been "working" for may years and was loaded with awesome black soil and earthworms - just could not leave them when we need so much here in the way of planting.

Good worms are priceless

Regards the Bear