Karl`s PC Help Forums

Bird photo gallery
Redwolf5150 - 15-5-2009 at 17:39

This thread is so everyone has a place to post bird photos to and discuss. Also a good place for exchanging ideas on how to make your birding photos better.

This is not meant as a competition, just a gallery. If, for some reason, the photo salon thread has birds for a theme, it would just be a coincidence for the period of the contest.

Have at it, everyone. You know I will.

marymary100 - 15-5-2009 at 18:46

I have never taken a photo of a bird - must try that soon.

Snowy - 15-5-2009 at 19:08

I will start with a picture of my Fulmars,, they are lovely and I am surrounded by them at the moment.
waveysmiley

DeWitch - 15-5-2009 at 19:55

We used to have a feeder right in front of the kitchen window
it was great fun and the cats loved it
Some photos HERE
Taken with my old Sony Cybershot so not too great but I was happy with them.

Redwolf5150 - 15-5-2009 at 20:51

My sock feeder has proven popular with the goldfinches and sparrows. Took this one this morning.

[bad img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/redwolf5150/51509-1_0131.jpg[/bad img]

Dreamweaver - 15-5-2009 at 22:49

Mommy wagtail on the nest....

Dreamweaver - 15-5-2009 at 22:56

Quote:
Originally posted by Redwolf5150
My sock feeder has proven popular with the goldfinches and sparrows. Took this one this morning.

[bad img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/redwolf5150/51509-1_0131.jpg[/bad img]

Your Goldfinch looks so different from mine.... will try get a piccie but mine had a red streak on his head.

the bear - 15-5-2009 at 22:58

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamweaver

I bet you cant wait for the chicks to arrive.

Regards the Bear

Dreamweaver - 15-5-2009 at 23:03

Quote:
Originally posted by the bear
Quote:

Regards the Bear

The chicks have arrived, but I am waiting for an opportune moment to photo them without upsetting mommy....

the bear - 15-5-2009 at 23:08

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Regards the Bear

The chicks have arrived, but I am waiting for an opportune moment to photo them without upsetting mommy....

That will require patience, and a very careful approach, I look forward to seeing the photos.

Regards the Bear

Redwolf5150 - 16-5-2009 at 00:36

Wish this one was mine.

[bad img]http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/funny-pictures-there-is-a-jay-on-your-camera.jpg[/bad img]

:D

Swish Checkley - 16-5-2009 at 10:15

Quote:
Quote:

Your Goldfinch looks so different from mine.... will try get a piccie but mine had a red streak on his head.

Seems to be an American/English difference. Our Goldfinches have more red and black on them:
http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/g/goldfinch/index.asp

Swish Checkley - 16-5-2009 at 10:30

It's a poor quality scan but here's a turkey vulture i saw in Chile

Swish Checkley - 16-5-2009 at 10:35

And some penguins in Patagonia :)

scholar - 16-5-2009 at 12:05

Quote:
This thread is so everyone has a place to post bird photos to.
This is a Chicagoism (a Chicago-style expression).

Yankees hear enough Chicagoisms, that we don't necessarily notice them when they are used, but I'm guessing it sounds strange to Brits and the Deep South.

Similiar Chicagoisms:

Do you want to come with?

Where is my jacket at?

The pattern--a prepostion is added, which is omitted in other regions.:)

the bear - 16-5-2009 at 12:43

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
Quote:

Yankees hear enough Chicagoisms, that we don't necessarily notice them when they are used, but I'm guessing it sounds strange to Brits and the Deep South.

Similiar Chicagoisms:

Where is my jacket at?

Scholar theres thread drift and theres thread drift, but how do you get to dialect from feathered photos???

Regards the Bear

scholar - 16-5-2009 at 13:02

Here is my favorite bird: greengrin

Redwolf5150 - 16-5-2009 at 13:43

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Similiar Chicagoisms:

Where is my jacket at?

Scholar theres thread drift and theres thread drift, but how do you get to dialect from feathered photos???

Regards the Bear

I agree.

Could a Mod do a little housecleaning here, please?

Redwolf5150 - 16-5-2009 at 13:46

Quote:
Originally posted by DeWitch
Some photos HERE

I checked your gallery and I was wondering if the Cybershot has a provision for manual focus (I don't own a point and shoot, so wouldn't know).

I've found that, with my big lens especially, I have to turn my autofocus off and do it the old fashioned way because the lens will sometimes seek through it's range when it should lock on. It helps that I'm mounted on a tripod, of course.

Anyone else go this route for their bird pictures?

Redwolf5150 - 16-5-2009 at 13:48

Quote:

And Jackie says I'M a shameless cyberflirt?

LSemmens - 16-5-2009 at 14:28

I had some loverly budgie fotos that somehow went west when something fell over. Problem is, I've still got everything else, and the storage devices are still working fine, strange! It's only one lot of fotos taken when on holidays with the camera I always use.

DeWitch - 16-5-2009 at 19:52

Quote:
Quote:
Some photos HERE

I checked your gallery and I was wondering if the Cybershot has a provision for manual focus (I don't own a point and shoot, so wouldn't know).

I've found that, with my big lens especially, I have to turn my autofocus off and do it the old fashioned way because the lens will sometimes seek through it's range when it should lock on. It helps that I'm mounted on a tripod, of course.

The cybershot only has two basic settings auto and macro and is only 3.2 megapixels.
My digital SLR does much more, of course, but I didn't have it then.
BUT... I have never gotten a good shot from it using the additional 70-300mm lense that came with it.
Makes me wish I had just gotten a better point & shoot with high optical zoom.

DeWitch - 16-5-2009 at 19:53

Quote:
Quote:

And Jackie says I'M a shameless cyberflirt?

he he he
guess he is over "Kitten's" leaving the forum.

Redwolf5150 - 17-5-2009 at 00:15

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Some photos HERE

The cybershot only has two basic settings auto and macro and is only 3.2 megapixels.
BUT... I have never gotten a good shot from it using the additional 70-300mm lense that came with it.

You might want to invest in a monpod for using that 75-300, especially when shooting at the long end.

Over here you can get one at Walmart for like $25.

waffler - 17-5-2009 at 00:20

Looks like I need to invest in a new 35mm slr as I cant get decent photo's with a digital camera . Wish I hadn't sold all my gear .:(

Redwolf5150 - 17-5-2009 at 00:49

It was very windy today with even stronger gusts.

My small. mostly ornamental feeder blew out of the tree.

Which wasn't all bad as the seed on the ground attracted a couple of mourning doves.

[bad img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/redwolf5150/51609-1_0071-Web.jpg[/bad img]

Gonna have to get or make a ground feeder, me thinks.

kewl_glasses

DeWitch - 17-5-2009 at 01:10

Quote:
Originally posted by waffler
Looks like I need to invest in a new 35mm slr as I cant get decent photo's with a digital camera . Wish I hadn't sold all my gear .:(

I have a Yashica 35mm with several lenses and an auto winder that I have not used since I got my first digital in 1999.
I am on my third now - the first one I gave to a dear friend a couple of years ago and it worked great until it fell out of her pocket into a bucket of water:o
The Sony I still used when I am too lazy to drag out the Nikon.
Doubt I will ever go back to film, too much waste.

DeWitch - 17-5-2009 at 01:22

Quote:
Quote:

You might want to invest in a monpod for using that 75-300, especially when shooting at the long end.

ummmmmm...
I AM "over here";)
I actually have two tripods but still get noisy photos with that lense.
Most of the time I can't take a decent outside night shot either.
I was so PO'd last Autumn in Maine there was a huge yellow full moon over the water reflecting beautifully in the ocean and all my shots were horrid.
And last December when we had 4 days and nights with no power from the ice,
the moon was full & beautiful again reflecting off ice and crystally snow. So to entertain myself I went out at night with the tripod and took tons of what should have been gorgeous shots and they were all horrid too.
WHIIINE

Redwolf5150 - 17-5-2009 at 13:48

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

ummmmmm...
I AM "over here";)
I was so PO'd last Autumn in Maine there was a huge yellow full moon over the water reflecting beautifully in the ocean and all my shots were horrid.
the moon was full & beautiful again reflecting off ice and crystally snow. So to entertain myself I went out at night with the tripod and took tons of what should have been gorgeous shots and they were all horrid too.
WHIIINE

Without knowing what ISO you were shooting at or the camera settings (IF you were using your DSLR) I'd be hard pressed to figure out what went wrong.

On night exposures, it's been my experience you have to give extra time when shooting digital to overcome the noise factor. You can then adjust the image in the RAW converter first then use either curves or levels in PhotoShop to make the final adjustments.

When doing firework photography, for example, I will set my camera on the tripod, set my focus manually, then stop down to about f8 and then use the bulb setting, holding the shutter open two or three seconds, using the bursts as my guide. I get a couple bursts, I close the shutter.

For a moonlite landscape, I'd start at f8 and set my exposure for around 1/8 of a second and work toward longer exposures. I'd check my histogram to see how my highlights and shadows were being recorded.

If the extremes are really wide, you can always use HDR to assemble a three or four shot bracket into one image.

Remember, shooting digital is the same as shooting slide film. So everything is backwards from using negative film.

Dreamweaver - 17-5-2009 at 13:53

Duck eggs just starting to hatch....

DeWitch - 18-5-2009 at 03:27

Quote:
Quote:
ummmmmm...
I AM "over here";)
WHIIINE

Without knowing what ISO you were shooting at or the camera settings (IF you were using your DSLR) I'd be hard pressed to figure out what went wrong.

On night exposures, it's been my experience you have to give extra time when shooting digital to overcome the noise factor. You can then adjust the image in the RAW converter first then use either curves or levels in PhotoShop to make the final adjustments.

When doing firework photography, for example, I will set my camera on the tripod, set my focus manually, then stop down to about f8 and then use the bulb setting, holding the shutter open two or three seconds, using the bursts as my guide. I get a couple bursts, I close the shutter.

For a moonlite landscape, I'd start at f8 and set my exposure for around 1/8 of a second and work toward longer exposures. I'd check my histogram to see how my highlights and shadows were being recorded.

If the extremes are really wide, you can always use HDR to assemble a three or four shot bracket into one image.

Remember, shooting digital is the same as shooting slide film. So everything is backwards from using negative film.

Thanks for the tips
I don't have PhotoShop - have Corel PSP & PhotoImpact.
I always use the Nikon (DSLR) for stuff I really care about shooting.
What is HDR?

Redwolf5150 - 18-5-2009 at 13:38

THIS explains it in a NON=Photoshop specific manner.

Photoshop CS3 introduced an automated way of doing it that's pretty painless while CS4 introduced a variation that uses various shots with different focus points to give you artificial depth of field.

I've played somewhat with HDR but prefer to use filters to get it all in one shot. Maybe I'll play with it more this summer when doing landscapes.

kewl_glasses

DeWitch - 18-5-2009 at 20:04

Quote:
THIS explains it in a NON=Photoshop specific manner.

Photoshop CS3 introduced an automated way of doing it that's pretty painless while CS4 introduced a variation that uses various shots with different focus points to give you artificial depth of field.

I've played somewhat with HDR but prefer to use filters to get it all in one shot. Maybe I'll play with it more this summer when doing landscapes.

kewl_glasses

Oh kewl - basically it is like playing with layers and filters - I have "turned some of my photos into watercolors, drawings and other art forms" that way.

Dreamweaver - 19-5-2009 at 23:59

Here is the 1st of those eggs......

Dreamweaver - 20-5-2009 at 00:01

try again :P

DeWitch - 20-5-2009 at 00:54

Quote:

LSemmens - 20-5-2009 at 14:33

Awwww, priddeee! In a few months he'll be ready for the pan!skidaddle

Redwolf5150 - 23-5-2009 at 03:28

Since the birds have gotten used to me being around the feeders refilling them and the bird bath, I figured today would be a good day to take the camera, big lens and tripod out of the dining room window and move outside,

[bad img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/redwolf5150/52209-1_0230.jpg[/bad img]

[bad img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/redwolf5150/52209-1_0090.jpg[/bad img]

Good decision on my part.

Redwolf5150 - 23-5-2009 at 16:48

This "punk" chipping sparrow obviously has been to Adam Lambert's hairdresser.

[bad img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/redwolf5150/PunkSparrow.jpg[/bad img]

(As opposed to the bird in the bottom of the two images above, which is ALSO a chipping sparrow)

Dreamweaver - 25-5-2009 at 11:42

The Wagtail chicks........

DeWitch - 25-5-2009 at 11:58

Quote:
The Wagtail chicks........

awwwwwwww:)

DeWitch - 25-5-2009 at 12:11

Quote:
This "punk" chipping sparrow obviously has been to Adam Lambert's hairdresser.

[bad img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/redwolf5150/PunkSparrow.jpg[/bad img]

(As opposed to the bird in the bottom of the two images above, which is ALSO a chipping sparrow)

Snowy - 25-5-2009 at 15:00

Hi Dreamweaver, I am so glad all your eggs are hatching, ducks and wagtails, you are so lucky to have that all around you.
Well done, they are lovely !
waveysmileywaveysmiley

Redwolf5150 - 26-5-2009 at 02:46

[bad img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/redwolf5150/KyakingRookeryIsle-8x10.jpg[/bad img]

Two Kayakers paddle by a Great Blue Heron rookery. (That's what the big nests in the upper left are, complete with one guarding its young.) This image HAS to be seen at full size/resolution to be appreciated. It's set for an 8x10 print as shown here (with resolution reduced to a web-friendly 75 DPI)

I have heard that these birds will fly over interlopers and regurgitate on them if you get to close. There were a few circling overhead but the couple didn't seemed to be "distressed." This being "Rookery Island" in Lake Wausau, it is FULL of Great Blue nests. I suspect there might even be a bald eagle nest on it as we see a pair circling in this area from time to time.

An aside, I want a kayak so BAD!

Redwolf5150 - 26-5-2009 at 04:18

Cropped in to show the nests.

[bad img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/redwolf5150/KyakingRookeryIsleDetail.jpg[/bad img]

You still can't really see them at such low resolution.

Redwolf5150 - 1-6-2009 at 03:43

[bad img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/redwolf5150/TheIntruder-4x6.jpg[/bad img]

"Get your fat, ground feeding butt out of OUR hanging feeder this INSTANT!"

Redwolf5150 - 1-6-2009 at 04:33

[bad img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/redwolf5150/DoYouMIND-4x6.jpg[/bad img]

"Do you MIND?"

LSemmens - 1-6-2009 at 13:57

I liked the ground feeder! Very good! :D:D

Redwolf5150 - 1-6-2009 at 14:07

I scatter seed on the ground for the doves and other big birds. That's the first time I saw one in the hanging tray feeder.

Redwolf5150 - 6-6-2009 at 17:39

[bad img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/redwolf5150/TheEarlyBirds1.gif[/bad img]

The early birds get the breakfast of dehydrated mealworms that have soaked overnight in water.

Redwolf5150 - 8-6-2009 at 02:40

[bad img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/redwolf5150/GoldfinchonFencePost-4x6.gif[/bad img]

"Goldfinch on a Fencepost"

waffler - 8-6-2009 at 02:51

Nice Digital or SLR

Redwolf5150 - 8-6-2009 at 03:03

Quote:
Originally posted by waffler
Nice Digital or SLR

confused2

waffler - 8-6-2009 at 03:05

Digital camera or 35 mm slr camera ?????

Redwolf5150 - 8-6-2009 at 03:11

Canon 40D with 135-400mm lens (for most of the shots) I still have my Elan 7 for emergencies -- like if BOTH my 40D and back-up Digital Rebel go belly up at the same time).

But I've been digital for about five years now. Never looked back except for two times my old Rebel was in the shop and it was my only digital body.

kewl_glasses

waffler - 8-6-2009 at 03:19

I recently bought a Minolta 35mm and the photo's are a whole lot better than I get with my digital camera's , although they are aging . Used to love developing and printing back in the day , have some time lapse pics somewhere , will have to dig them out and scan them . They where taken at night in December , and it was cold .:)

Redwolf5150 - 8-6-2009 at 03:55

I've long since come to grips with not having to do darkroom work anymore.

Even though I spent 25 years learning how to be REAL good at both B&W and color printing.

I can do all my dodging and burning and adjusting one time in Photoshop and then make as many copies as I need in the time it took to make a test print in the "old days."

Added bonus, my fingers don't turn brown from the chemicals anymore.

LSemmens - 9-6-2009 at 13:15

I learnt how to process film in high school but could not afford to set up my own lab so that's where that hobby stayed. Used to like photography, but, with the cost of film and processing, it slid by the wayside. I should invest in some good digital equipment one day...... when I run out of other expenses.

DeWitch - 9-6-2009 at 13:26

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
I learnt how to process film in high school but could not afford to set up my own lab so that's where that hobby stayed. Used to like photography, but, with the cost of film and processing, it slid by the wayside. I should invest in some good digital equipment one day...... when I run out of other expenses.

Go for it! You would LOVE itkewl_glasses
I have a 35mm (with a shipload of lenses & filters) that has not seen the light of day since I got my first digital 9 years ago:)

LSemmens - 9-6-2009 at 14:45

A digital SLR is high on the shopping list. We have an early digital snapper which is great for "happy snaps" provided you are not in a hurry (shutter lag is atrocious) but no good for serious shots.

Nimuae - 9-6-2009 at 21:24

Taken with a Canon Ixus. Couldn't go too close - Mother Goose was watching ... and hissing ! They were huddling together for warmth, I think, but were right in the middle of a cycle track. The cyclists had to dismount and walk around them.

Nimuae - 9-6-2009 at 21:30

Quote:

Brilliant Dreamweaver! What a lovely shot.

LSemmens - 11-6-2009 at 13:37

It's a good thing that they were on a cycle track and not the road!

Redwolf5150 - 15-7-2009 at 02:36

[bad img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/redwolf5150/Bluejay22009.jpg[/bad img]

scholar - 15-7-2009 at 02:58

Magnificent! He looks like a bird with a lot of character.:)

Redwolf5150 - 15-7-2009 at 13:19

Bluejays have personality, that's for sure.

And they are very hard to photograph because they are fairly shy.

Redwolf5150 - 2-8-2009 at 00:27

Speaking of shy, these guys have been hiding right under my nose for a few days.

[bad img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/redwolf5150/Hummingbird2.jpg[/bad img]

Finally got to spend a pleasant half hour playing hide and seek with them.

LSemmens - 2-8-2009 at 11:28

Half ya luck! I just spent a (un)pleasant hour climbing around the ceiling playing hide and seek with my aerial cables that I'm attempting to shift from one end of the room to another!

Redwolf5150 - 2-8-2009 at 15:13

It was overcast and late in the afternoon when I took the above shot.

Today is sunny and warm. Going to have the tripod out by those flowers today with my 135-400mm and take breaks there as we are FINALLY going to start clearing out the garage that will be my studio in the near future.

Hope for even BETTER shots.

Redwolf5150 - 3-8-2009 at 15:36

Got a couple of "Monica" yesterday in the brighter conditions.

[bad img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/redwolf5150/Hummingbird8209-18x10.jpg[/bad img]

[bad img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/redwolf5150/Hummingbird8209-28x10.jpg[/bad img]

She's a female ruby-throated and very, VERY territorial when it comes to HER bee balm. I've seen her run males and members of other species off.

LSemmens - 4-8-2009 at 04:05

Good luck to her!

Redwolf5150 - 4-8-2009 at 20:35

No luck involved.

She comes out of the tree like a heat-seeking missle and the interlopers are GONE with her in hot pursuit.

I'm waiting on a couple to team up to get a meal by taking turns having her chase them.

Redwolf5150 - 5-9-2009 at 14:45

[bad img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/redwolf5150/ScreamingJay9509-1_0011.jpg[/bad img]

GOOD MORNING!

Sometimes it's good to just sit out on the patio with a cuppa and a 40D on full manual with a 135-400mm lens and commune with some good friends.

You know, catch up on all the neighborhood gossip.

kewl_glasses

Redwolf5150 - 9-9-2009 at 01:11

I've created a trio of welfare birds, it seems.

Now these Blue Jays sit out in the trees or on the wires at 7:30 a.m. and noisily demand my attention -- i.e. a few handfuls of peanuts.

At least they are coming around for photos now. Hopefully I can figure out something that works for cardinals. Haven't gotten one of the four in the area to come within camera range. They'll sit out there all morning long if I DON'T have my rig set up, however.

kewl_glasses

Redwolf5150 - 19-10-2010 at 01:03

A year later...

[bad img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/redwolf5150/bluejayavitar2.jpg[/bad img]

As you can tell, I'm having MUCH better luck with the blue jays these days.

So much so, in fact, I caught THESE two yesterday

[bad img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/redwolf5150/2Jays.jpg[/bad img]

I don't mind them talking about me, mind you.

However, "FAT MAN" is the term the SQUIRRELS use to describe me.

roffle

waffler - 20-10-2010 at 01:28

Quote:
I've created a trio of welfare birds, it seems.

Now these Blue Jays sit out in the trees or on the wires at 7:30 a.m. and noisily demand my attention -- i.e. a few handfuls of peanuts.

At least they are coming around for photos now. Hopefully I can figure out something that works for cardinals. Haven't gotten one of the four in the area to come within camera range. They'll sit out there all morning long if I DON'T have my rig set up, however.

kewl_glasses

The Cardinals take over on my feeders . The males frighten of most other birds . The females sit and wait until the males are gone

Redwolf5150 - 18-7-2011 at 17:12

And THIS year...

[bad img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/redwolf5150/MoncaTrip.jpg[/bad img]

A lovely triptych of my favorite female bird in Tranquility Bay.

Redwolf5150 - 18-7-2011 at 18:08

I was set up on my "Faerie Stand" for 3 1/2 hours in a 108 degree heat index to get these shots.

Next day I was set up for 1 1/2 hours in 111 degrees only to get just a glimpse of her.

My Monica, she is a tough one to snipe!