Karl`s PC Help Forums

Can I cheat ?
Snowy - 2-5-2009 at 11:53

As I am not very good at photography and I only have a cheap camera, I wondered if I could cheat a little in the competition. I have 3 photos and dont know which one to submit, I wondered if I could post them on this thread and let the members decide which one is appropriate for the competition. I cant find the rules and wondered if this allowed.
confused2

marymary100 - 2-5-2009 at 12:04

There was never a limit to the number of photos you could post previously but RW has added a new rule so post here if you like. As long as RW doesn't tell you which one he prefers it couldn't infringe the integrity of the competition I imagine.

I don't know if I'll be posting a photo at all as I'm not inspired by anything spring-like atm> Maybe I'll post a photo of the bed as it's a spring mattress, or a slinky...

Quaver - 2-5-2009 at 12:18

Go on, show us the photos:D

Snowy - 2-5-2009 at 13:35

Quote:
Originally posted by Quaver

Why? do you want cheering up with a good laugh Quaver ??
I did warn you I am not very good !!
:P:P:D

Quaver - 2-5-2009 at 13:59

Quote:
Originally posted by Snowy
Quote:

Why? do you want cheering up with a good laugh Quaver ??

I love a good laugh:D:D:D

LSemmens - 2-5-2009 at 14:12

They are great photos, Snowy! How do I know? You may well ask, but I never shall tell! lips_sealed:Dnananana

Snowy - 2-5-2009 at 14:25

Gorse in bloom !!

Snowy - 2-5-2009 at 14:28

Wild Primrose !!

Snowy - 2-5-2009 at 14:29

Gorse in bloom at side of river !!

Snowy - 2-5-2009 at 14:35

Ok ,, Who is laughing !!!:P:P:P:P
Do you think I should not bother entering the compeition??:D:D:D

LSemmens - 2-5-2009 at 14:36

We missed the last one, have a look at the size of the photo, if it is more than 200Kb then it won't display. You may need to re-size it.

The last one is great!

Snowy - 2-5-2009 at 14:38

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
We missed the last one, have a look at the size of the photo, if it is more than 200Kb then it won't display. You may need to re-size it.

I made them all 800x600 whatever that means Leigh but it woudnt take the last one for some reason so I made it smaller and then it worked.
confused2

Snowy - 2-5-2009 at 19:13

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
There was never a limit to the number of photos you could post previously but RW has added a new rule so post here if you like. As long as RW doesn't tell you which one he prefers it couldn't infringe the integrity of the competition I imagine.

I don't know if I'll be posting a photo at all as I'm not inspired by anything spring-like atm> Maybe I'll post a photo of the bed as it's a spring mattress, or a slinky...

Surely there must be lots of lambs around you Mary at the moment.....Dont they make you think of spring?...I love to see them at about 3 weeks old when they venture away from their Mums and start exploring the other lambs and playing together.....It reminds me of a nursery school !!
waveysmiley

scholar - 2-5-2009 at 21:09

Quote:
Originally posted by Snowy
It reminds me of a nursery school !!
waveysmiley
thread drift

This reminds me of a horrible experience I had, when Mom had an errand, so Dad was supposed to drop me off at the nursery--but he dropped me off at the wrong one.

I was there all day, among all the trees. . . .shocked_yellow

rollarf rollarf rollarf

[I'm only kidding.]

Quaver - 2-5-2009 at 21:39

Great photos Snowywaveysmiley
How about the last one for the comp?

the bear - 2-5-2009 at 21:54

My money's on the third one Snowy, I'd love to walking along the burn with Mrs Bear right now.

Keep them coming. waveysmiley

At least you know how to get a photo onto KF, its more than I do!

Regards the Bear

waffler - 3-5-2009 at 02:07

I'm with Mr B

Redwolf5150 - 3-5-2009 at 04:23

Repost them in the RETURN of the Photo Salon thread and I'll consider them with the rest.

THAT is a given in the history of the photo salon.

:D

Snowy - 3-5-2009 at 07:42

Quote:
Great photos Snowywaveysmiley
How about the last one for the comp?

None of them are really interesting Quaver and the third one does not look very clear or colourful to me. I quite like the primrose one because I have never took a close up before and I used the macro for that one for the first time, I dont know what the macro does but I used it and it came out alright. The Strath is carpeted with primroses at the moment and they look lovely. It lets you know that spring is finally here.
I will take your advice and post the third one though !
Thanks to all for your judgements.
:magic)

Snowy - 3-5-2009 at 08:22

Quote:
Originally posted by the bear
My money's on the third one Snowy, I'd love to walking along the burn with Mrs Bear right now.

Keep them coming. waveysmiley

At least you know how to get a photo onto KF, its more than I do!

Regards the Bear

Surely someone on here can talk you through it Bear, Once you get the hang of it it is quite easy, I have got the instructions written down so I dont forget how to do it the next time....Have a go, its fun !
:comp)

LSemmens - 3-5-2009 at 12:44

Just a brief instruction on photos, and file sizes, snowy.

Screen resolutions are generally in pixels which is, in effect, lots of little dots to the inch. so and 800x600 picture could be also termed as 8"x6" (not the actual numbers, but you get the idea) What it actually means is that it is a good "resolution" for a computer screen. 1024x768 is another, higher resolution, image. If for example you look at a magazine picture with a magnifying glass, you will see that the image is made up of lots of little dots, the more dots per inch, the higher resolution. At higher resolution you also get more detail. Are you with me so far?

Now.... To file sizes.

Every file (that means pictures, letters, programs, etc) that is stored on your computer is made up of little "dots" (strictly two states, on or off) that is why you hear of people talking of Binary, Hexadecimal and so forth. You may have heard of Bits and Bytes, don't worry too much about that now. Each symbol is represented by a binary code (eg: 0100110) The more information that is stored, this binary code gets longer, or, if you wish, the number gets bigger. A simple text file will be quite small but a high resolution picture, in terms of that number, will be huge, because every pixel needs to be described. Therefore the decimal number that you see after a file is a representative of how big that file is. KF has a limit on the size of picture of 200Kb or 200,000 bytes, (loosely a byte is a group of smaller units called bits).

With a picture, this means that the size of the file is affected by several factors,
1 - Resolution of the picture (800x600, 1024x768 etc)
2 - The Colour of the picture (i.e is it black and white or colour
3 - The colour density (how many shades of a particular colour are represented.
4 - The physical dimension of the image (sometimes cropping the edges will reduce the size of the resultant file
5 - The format in which you choose to save the picture.
- There are many methods of saving images. RAW is arguably the best as you lose nothing by saving the file and re-opening it - it also results in the largest file size (remeber the 200Kb limit>;)
- Another common form is the bitmap or BMP which is pretty good too
- Typically for web display a JPG file is the best compromise between quality and size.

to access thes different formats, you photo editing software will give you the option of saving the file as one of many different formats, just click on <File><Save As> instead of Save.

As I have said, this is a very, condensed and brief overview of some things in relation to photos and 'puters.

Snowy - 3-5-2009 at 14:55

Thanks very much for that Leigh, it gives me an insight how it all works and shows me where I have been going wrong. I did not resize my first ever photo and it would not take on here...I then reduced to 800x600 and the photo pasted on Ok so I assumed that all I had to do when posting photos was to reduce to 800x600 but of course this is not the case. I now realise that I have to check the KB and make sure it is less than 200......Do I have to click on properties to find out the KB do you know?
confused2

LSemmens - 4-5-2009 at 14:36

Yes that is correct. The size may be reported as e.g. 161.5KB or 165386 bytes.

Remember 200KB is actually nearer to 204800 bytes as it is a decimal representation of a binary number.