Karl`s PC Help Forums

Looking for feedback
Redwolf5150 - 28-1-2009 at 05:55

I have really never been 100 percent happy with the logo Jackie and I came up with for our photo company. The sailboat is nice and all, but it isn't dynamic and eyecatching.

Since Jackie decided a few months ago that we should trade on my name recognition in this area and add that to the company name, it really didn't make for a nice looking logo.

So I redesigned it!

[bad img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/redwolf5150/logotake2.gif[/bad img]

What do you all think?

Eagles have played a part in my life for a long time, dating back before I wore one on my shoulder for three years in the Army.

This is just a rough design. We still have to work out a spot in the lower portion for address, phone number, etc.

I think I've finally got something I like, however.

kewl_glasses

Quaver - 28-1-2009 at 07:02

Looks greatkewl_glasses
'Tail Wind' could be bigger, but that's only my personal opinion;)

LSemmens - 28-1-2009 at 07:19

I like it. What about a real eagle in the sunset? This would be good for a trademark image or the like, but for stationery and business graphics, I recon, the real thing would look fantastic, and show off your work in a subtle way.

A friend of mine, Col Stringer, by name, has long loved eagles. He wrote a book, which some of you may have seen, it's called "On Eagles WIngs", he has some fantastic shots in it.

Quaver - 28-1-2009 at 08:12

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
"On Eagles WIngs", he has some fantastic shots in it.

Redwolf is a fantastic photographer, he won't need another person's photowaggyfinger

LSemmens - 28-1-2009 at 08:27

I wasn't suggesting that he did. I just know he likes big Budgies!

waffler - 28-1-2009 at 10:42

Looking really good

Swish Checkley - 28-1-2009 at 11:29

I like it. I think the overall idea works very well. If I had to be criticial I'd say I'm not sure about the wing being cut off, though I think that's just a personal preference thing - it upsets my 'tidy' mind ;) And could the font be a little less fancy? Some of the lettering isn't very easy to read.

victor - 28-1-2009 at 11:33

Looks good, it's a pity the right wing is clipped at the top.
But that's me being a Virgo. ;)

Quaver - 28-1-2009 at 11:40

I like the clipped wing - more modern:)

John_Little - 28-1-2009 at 11:43

Quote:
Originally posted by Swish Checkley
And could the font be a little less fancy? Some of the lettering isn't very easy to read.

I was about to say exactly the same thing. The font is too messy and hard to read. Although something like Ariel or Times new roman wouldn't be fancy enough.

victor - 28-1-2009 at 11:50

Quote:
Originally posted by John_Little

I was about to say exactly the same thing. The font is too messy and hard to read. Although something like Ariel or Times new roman wouldn't be fancy enough.

Should have gone to Specsavers JL. :D

John_Little - 28-1-2009 at 12:14

Lol. probably true, Victor, but its big enough and the Jamie Taylor bit is ok. Is the "Tailwind Imaging" the same font? That's the bit that is dodgy and if its a different font, its breaking one of the main rules of publishing - dont vary your fonts unnecessarily.

Mary2 - 28-1-2009 at 13:06

I would be inclined to use one of your real photos to show how good you really are.

DeWitch - 28-1-2009 at 16:35

I like the idea, but do not like the top of it where the wing is cut off. The eagle could be smaller to fit it all in.

Also do not like the use of three different & rather "fussy" fonts.

"ail Wind Imaging" I believe is Bavand - but the capital T is something else?
Am I correct?

And I think that maybe the "Tail Wind Imaging" should be lower (maybe like the eagle is looking at it) as it looks sort of unbalanced with the empty lower right corner.

Sorry for being critical, but you asked:)

edited - oops disregard the lower right hand corner bit - just read the rest of your post:dun)
DuhWitch

Nimuae - 28-1-2009 at 17:00

I really like the idea - but - as others have said, the mixed fancy fonts detract rather than enhance.

Redwolf5150 - 28-1-2009 at 17:12

Jackie doesn't like the eagle.

It isn't quite how I want it, either. I want something that flows a little better, like it's soaring.

So I'm going to work on designing one of my own utilizing bits of THIS eagle that I like (head and tail). Something where it looks like it's turning into the wind, like a curved E almost.

I hear what you are saying about the fonts, too. I'm going to keep the "Jamie Taylor" font but try to see what I can come up with that's different for everything else.

kewl_glasses

Redwolf5150 - 28-1-2009 at 19:06

Edit: Modified this design into the one below.

:D

Redwolf5150 - 28-1-2009 at 19:13

Quote:
Originally posted by DeWitch

Am I correct?

No, they were the same font, only the "T" was larger.

In the new version, everything is the same size.

kewl_glasses

Redwolf5150 - 28-1-2009 at 19:27

Didn't like how the sun wasn't behind the eagle and the gold color bothered me.

So here is version 3.0

[bad img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/redwolf5150/NewEagleLogo4A.gif[/bad img]

Now to sell Jackie on it. I think it will look nice on jackets, shirts and even a hat or two. Of course it still needs the rest of the type like address, phone number, specialties, etc. I'm not going any further until Jackie and I agree on it, though.

kewl_glasses

Redwolf5150 - 28-1-2009 at 19:29

And for you arty types who are curious, I actually DID start with a type "E" for the body.

John_Little - 28-1-2009 at 21:41

That is better and I think you can justify the mixed fonts because the Jamie Taylor is almost like a signature and the Tailwind Imaging is strong and reliable.

DeWitch - 29-1-2009 at 04:57

Quote:
Originally posted by Redwolf5150
Quote:

Am I correct?

kewl_glasses

Oh you used the small T and just made it larger,
I know the capital T in Bavand is very loopy

LSemmens - 29-1-2009 at 08:18

I preferred the first eagle. I missed the varying fonts, Yep, one font would be a tidier option. Over all, the first one is, to me, more appealing than the second.

John_Little - 29-1-2009 at 09:01

But is it the picture or the font?

Redwolf5150 - 29-1-2009 at 13:05

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Redwolf5150
Quote:

Am I correct?

kewl_glasses

Oh you used the small T and just made it larger,
I know the capital T in Bavand is very loopy

It wasn't Bavand. Can't remember what it was exactly but it wasn't that high up the list of fonts in Photoshop.

John_Little - 29-1-2009 at 14:45

Quote:
Originally posted by John_Little
But is it the picture or the font?

Blimey, no wonder I wasn't any good at I Spy books. You said it quite clearly:-

Quote:
I prefer the first Eagle

Must learn to read or go to specsavers.

Quaver - 29-1-2009 at 14:58

Perhaps the eagle's left wing (top wing) could be longer, so it go over the sun?

Nimuae - 29-1-2009 at 15:13

I much prefer the first eagle - but the fonts look better on the second poster.

scholar - 29-1-2009 at 16:39

The second eagle had better keep flying, because he seems to have no legs!

Artistic license, I presume. ;)

DeWitch - 29-1-2009 at 17:57

I also liked the first eagle better.

Redwolf5150 - 30-1-2009 at 02:15

Okay, here is take 4, using the FULL first eagle and finished as it would be used (Mailing address and telephone number are blurred):

[bad img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/redwolf5150/NewEagleLogo4B.gif[/bad img]

In comparison, here's what we are currently using for just the logo:

[bad img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/redwolf5150/TailWindBoatSMALL-1.gif[/bad img]

Actually the first eagle is starting to grow on me.

What do you all think?

Quaver - 30-1-2009 at 05:33

Great! :clap)

DeWitch - 30-1-2009 at 05:39

YES!!!

John_Little - 30-1-2009 at 08:57

Great but. consider centering the TailWind Imaging bit under the Jamie Taylor bit. And reducing the vertical space between TailWind and Imaging.

LSemmens - 30-1-2009 at 11:32

The best yet! I'd still like to see one with a photograph as the logo.

Nimuae - 30-1-2009 at 12:42

Brilliant !!

scholar - 30-1-2009 at 13:12

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
The best yet! I'd still like to see one with a photograph as the logo.
I opine that Jamie is wise not to use a photograph, for the simple fact that the logo is likely to appear in different sizes (business card, stationary, signs, advertisements), and a photo of resolution that looks good at one size will not look equally good at every other size.

I trust Jamie has a portfolio of photos from which he choses samples to show in person or in advertising, of size appropriate to the occasion.:)

Redwolf5150 - 30-1-2009 at 16:25

THERE!

[bad img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/redwolf5150/NewTailWindLogo.gif[/bad img]

I turned the eagle/sun a little and tweaked the type a little and now pronounce it DONE!

If I had an eagle image that would work, I'd use it. However all my flying eagles are not suitable and none of my perched eagles made for a suitable logo image, either.

Jackie is starting to come around to this one, too. She said "as long as I'm happy with it."

The beauty of this design is for hats, jackets, t-shirts (premiums for the high school seniors who pay me to do their senior pictures will be a free shirt) etc. is that I can get rid of the stuff on the bottom if need be and leave just the logo, name, address/phone number and email address (or URL once we get the website sorted).

kewl_glasses

Redwolf5150 - 30-1-2009 at 17:24

Since I made my last post I "tweaked" it two more times and replaced the image.

I'm done tweaking it. I've worked on it 12 hours over three days and I pronounce it

DONE!

kewl_glasses

Redwolf5150 - 30-1-2009 at 18:51

Jackie has now pronounced that she HATES IT!

I even took one of my perching eagle photos, converted it to art and replaced the flying eagle!

She didn't like that, either!

"You're not selling moccasins and you're not selling guns!"

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Redwolf5150 - 30-1-2009 at 18:53

The last design, with quite a bit of tweaking (I KNOW, I said I was done with it) looks GREAT on business cards, too!

:(

Redwolf5150 - 30-1-2009 at 22:40

One OTHER advantage of the new logo over the old sailboat logo:

It looks really good as a black and white image:

[bad img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/redwolf5150/NewLogogrey.gif[/bad img]

I'm printing up our brochures for our high school sports print sales for a game tonight and I love how this works in the new layout. The old logo had to be screened back with type over it and I dfidn't like how it looked at all.

In the winter sports brochure, I had one sport less than in fall, so I was able to rest the layout to allow the new logo on front.

All in all, this new logo is working out great for me (except Jackie hating it).

kewl_glasses

victor - 31-1-2009 at 00:15

Looks impressive.

LSemmens - 31-1-2009 at 11:05

Fantastic! Tell Jackie to "go fly a kite!" (hawk, that is). Better still, put her on, and I'll tell her! I'm married to a redhead, so no woman scares me!

BTW, how do you start an argument with a redhead?
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
Say something!

Redwolf5150 - 30-4-2009 at 23:48

Well, since I lost ALL my logos, new and old, to the computer crash (can't believe I didn't have the OLD one saved to disc somewhere) I was faced with starting over from scratch.

ALMOST, as we had a large version of the old logo framed and hanging in a grouping at a nightspot I shoot at a lot.

So I got that, scanned it in and went to work. It was the FIRST generation of our logo, which changed about a year ago to what we were using.

I immediately got it CLOSE to what we WERE using, then went to work on it in Photoshop.

This time, Jackie had a lot of input and even approved this new logo.

I give you, the TailWind Imaging logo effective May 1, 2009:

[bad img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/redwolf5150/NewTailWindLogo-1.gif[/bad img]

Swish Checkley - 1-5-2009 at 07:20

Looks good (though I preferred the eagle). Nice simple clean lines.

John_Little - 1-5-2009 at 07:37

It is a lot less cluttered. Typical woman. Throwing out all your cherished stuff.

But, lets be honest, it does work.

Redwolf5150 - 1-5-2009 at 12:15

Well, she liked the idea of a BLUE business card and this is what I came up with (temporary computer printed cards until we get our URL and website).

[bad img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/redwolf5150/BizCard.gif[/bad img]

She wanted the two gradients in the logo to continue on through the card and ditch the stroke around the logo. I like having the logo distinct. I dug in my heels on that one. (Although she was right on the rest).

The temporary cards look a lot better than this scan does them justice. The commercially printed cards will be full bleed on the blue background. My software can't do it with my printers.

kewl_glasses

John_Little - 1-5-2009 at 13:36

I remember a psychological study into selling cigarettes a long time ago. It was for the brand Players No6 which has a blue packet. They settled on the colour after some considerable research into how colours affect people and blue was considered to be the best for selling.

Having said that, as a photographer, you don't need telling that the odd splash of red in a picture - no matter how small - really lifts it up.

So your card there, going by that research, cant fail.

Shame about the eagle. But then that's a bloke thing.

LSemmens - 1-5-2009 at 15:29

Looks good, Jamie, though i did like your eagle. Surely you would have had access to a hard copy of a recent image that you could have scanned, too late now, though, as this is good.