Karl`s PC Help Forums

Wish I could afford this
Redwolf5150 - 24-1-2009 at 04:01

One of my all time favorite images by one of the the photographers who inspired me is available at auction at Christies.

Alas, at that price I'll have to settle for a poster, I think.

Or buy the Life magazine's "100 greatest photos" collection at $15 bucks and cut out the full page print and frame it.

kewl_glasses

LSemmens - 24-1-2009 at 11:26

I understand, RW, it's a great shot! The price, if I read it correctly was for an authorised print. What sort of price would the original have brought? shocked_yellow

Redwolf5150 - 24-1-2009 at 15:48

An original print made by Smith would be worth more, of THAT shot.

In the same lot there was a hand-signed, hand titled Smith from the Nurse Midwife series that sold for just under $6,000. It isn't one of his iconic images, like "Walk to Paradise Garden" but if I couldn't have "Walk" I would "settle" for a hand-signed print.

And this one is hand signed too, the problem is, it was signed on the back!

It's also one of a limited edition.

Those two factors drove up the price.

kewl_glasses

marymary100 - 24-1-2009 at 16:05

In my opinion, no photograph in the world is worth that amount of money. Nor would I pay that for a painting or sculpture. Copies/prints would be enough for me, assuming they were much cheaper.

Redwolf5150 - 24-1-2009 at 16:09

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
In my opinion, no photograph in the world is worth that amount of money. Nor would I pay that for a painting or sculpture. Copies/prints would be enough for me, assuming they were much cheaper.

I found a 16x20 poster for $15.

I'd be happy with that.

It's the only way I'll ever be able to afford a couple of Ansel Adams' images I really like, too.

kewl_glasses

LSemmens - 25-1-2009 at 11:26

I understand where you are coming from, mary, for many it's more money than many have seen in a year. To others, it's just pocket money. I'll simplify it a little, why drink Dom Perignon when you can have a $5.00 bottle of fizzy grape juice, it's the same thing, isn't it?

marymary100 - 25-1-2009 at 11:27

I usually drink Cava but a good champagne from time to time is much appreciated. kewl_glasses