Karl`s PC Help Forums

What camera would you recommend at an affordable price?
TooCute4Words - 7-3-2008 at 23:32

I have an Olympus camera (digital one). I have always been told that Olympus is one of the better makes, so I opted for that.

It cost 200 and I am very happy with the results. I can even use it as a cam-corder and do little films of my family and friends. They come out great!! Okay, it is not going to be as good as spending 1000+ on a camera. I know you only get as good as you pay for, but it's affordable and does the job.

What camera would you recommend or have?

I hate (Red-eye) on photo's. So many friendsof mine use cheaper cameras or just don't get it set right and suddenly, all their pictures they take of people have red-eyes. Looks like they've all been possessed haha :D

Quaver - 8-3-2008 at 11:05

Canon IXUS 860IS
I got it for the wide angle shots;) (28mm equivalent on ordinary cameras).

Faolan - 8-3-2008 at 12:06

Some questions:

What's your skill level?
What area of photography are you interested in?
How much control do you want over your camera?
What's your budget?

This is what I would ask anyone going to buy a camera. There is no point wasting money on a P&S if they want to do some creative work.

The only real way to avoid red-eye is to get your flash/lighting off the camera and away from the lens axis.

As to what cameras I use? I don't care as long as it gives me the shot I see and visualise. They are only tools.

TooCute4Words - 8-3-2008 at 19:09

Quote:
Originally posted by Faolan
Some questions:

What's your skill level?
What area of photography are you interested in?
How much control do you want over your camera?
What's your budget?

This is what I would ask anyone going to buy a camera. There is no point wasting money on a P&S if they want to do some creative work.

1) My skill isn't great. But 95% of all the photo's I do take have come out fine. I'm also pretty okay at filming to. No expert - but cope none-the-less :) So I don't know what skill level I would come under.

2) My area of photography would be just pictures of family and friends really. Not scenery or anything special.

3) How much control do I want over my camera? What do you mean Faolan?

4) What's my budget. Well, right now it would be less than 200 haha!! But then I spent 200 so that was the budget then. Everything I had before was pretty rubbish really :(

Quote:
The only real way to avoid red-eye is to get your flash/lighting off the camera and away from the lens axis.

As to what cameras I use? I don't care as long as it gives me the shot I see and visualise. They are only tools.

I followed the instructions in the manual on how to avoid red-eye and it worked okay on most. But a couple did'nt come over too good. Perhaps it was the lighting/reflection/sun, whatever.

LSemmens - 9-3-2008 at 11:11

A question that I often ask when asked to give advice on an upgrade. "What do you want to do that your current XXXX (insert name here) cannot do?" If you can answer that, then the likes of RW and Faolan, who work with photography as a profession, can give you more meaningful advice.

Redwolf5150 - 9-3-2008 at 23:13

Certainly not THIS one, used by professional sports and concert photographers:

[bad img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/redwolf5150/DreamCamera.jpg[/bad img]

Incidentally, it's my next camera.

:D

TooCute4Words - 9-3-2008 at 23:17

Quote:
Originally posted by Redwolf5150

[bad img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/redwolf5150/DreamCamera.jpg[/bad img]

Phew....Redwolfshocked_yellow

It's like the pilots controls in an airplane :D

giron - 9-3-2008 at 23:19

I bet the batteries don't last long! waggyfinger

Redwolf5150 - 10-3-2008 at 00:29

Quote:
Originally posted by TooCute4Words
Quote:

Take a GOOD look at some of those controls.

TooCute4Words - 10-3-2008 at 00:32

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

GOSH!! Yes!!

giron is right :) the batteries won't last long waggyfinger

giron - 10-3-2008 at 00:38

Quote:

giron is right

I'm always right, it's just a shame that others fail to recognise the fact! waveysmiley

the bear - 10-3-2008 at 00:41

My first camera was a Helena Paulette ( lost while canoing the rivers of the lake district) I still ahve some of the slides taken with this camera.

The first real camera I owned was an OM 10 which I went on to back up with an OM 30.
The OM 10 was a metal bodied version, I still have an OM 10 with a good choice of lenses and filters, its an old faithfully, its taken a lot of hammer over the years, up mountains, down rivers. I have several digital cameras, but I still like to take my OM with me as well.

A good second hand OM kit can be obtained for little money.
I know its not digital but I have some real good results with it.

Best regards the Bear

giron - 10-3-2008 at 01:01

Quote:
Originally posted by the bear

Best regards the Bear

Most people seem to prefer the relatively instantaneous results that digital cameras are able to offer.

I'd, certainly, never consider going back to using a film camera for my ' snap shots '.

Daz - 10-3-2008 at 01:55

I asked a photgrapher friend of mine this question, because our current camera is on the blink...

Given our budget, he suggested a Nikon S200, or the Canon IXUS 70...

I've still not got around to sorting it out yet though...!

the bear - 10-3-2008 at 02:27

Quote:
Originally posted by giron
Quote:
Originally posted by the bear

Best regards the Bear

Most people seem to prefer the relatively instantaneous results that digital cameras are able to offer.

I'd, certainly, never consider going back to using a film camera for my ' snap shots '.

Giron I understand entirely, I have quite a few camera's. I have a "samsung 240 digimax" 6x zoom, 3x optical and 10cm macro. this gives me excellent results, I use it as a point and shoot camera in the main. Mrs Bear bought it for me a few years ago, I think she paid about 269.00, I think the cost of this camera and equivilant ones has come down considerably now.
I also have Panasonic "Lumas", brilliant camera a good all rounder.

The OM and another of my 35mm cameras I use mainly for Black and white and infra red photo's

Regards the Bear

LSemmens - 10-3-2008 at 11:56

I still have my first SLR. One of the early Pentax, just after the K series.

A Digital Snapper is no good for action shots. "Point and Shoot" is more like Point, Press the Shutter Release, Go and make a pot of Tea (or Coffee), come back, and see what you've just shot. The newer ones must have improved as my digital "snapper" is now 5 years old.

craig1912 - 12-3-2008 at 19:10

I've not used my Canon AE1 for years.
I bought a Canon Ixus 500 which was ok but a bit slow.

Just bought a Panasonic Lumix MCC-FX33. Its got a Leica lens and wide angle at 28mm. Very impressed with it

Quaver - 13-3-2008 at 17:02

Quote:
Originally posted by craig1912
wide angle at 28mm

I love 28mm lenskewl_glasses

marymary100 - 13-3-2008 at 17:09

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Does it make the dinner?