Karl`s PC Help Forums

1 1/2 years of waiting for this day!(Formerly watch this space)
Redwolf5150 - 11-2-2008 at 15:55

Going to have a photo of have a photo here in a few days that will just have me all a twitter!

:D

LSemmens - 12-2-2008 at 10:30

I'm sick a woching, where is it?

delanti - 12-2-2008 at 16:23

Still watching!

LSemmens - 13-2-2008 at 13:48

I clicked the image to enlarge it, delanti, and it didn't, I feel had!

DeWitch - 14-2-2008 at 19:41

okay

LSemmens - 15-2-2008 at 13:39

I got dun agen! Yor imaj din larj up eyether, witchie!confused2

DeWitch - 15-2-2008 at 15:51

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
I got dun agen! Yor imaj din larj up eyether, witchie!confused2

Ahoy Matey
I think that is because it is posted at its original small size

Redwolf5150 - 15-2-2008 at 15:53

Keep watching.

I was supposed to have it last night but it is being shipped in from Minnesotta, supposed to be here by Monday.

I'll explain all when I post the picture.

marymary100 - 15-2-2008 at 16:45

What a tease!!!!

the bear - 15-2-2008 at 16:50

Perhaps the mystery object is being shipped in by stage coach but the Native Americans ambushed it at the pass.

Should try the Pony Express, they always get through. lol

Regards the Bear

scholar - 15-2-2008 at 17:03

Quote:
Originally posted by the bear
Perhaps the mystery object is being shipped in by stage coach but the Native Americans ambushed it at the pass.

Regards the Bear
shocked_yellowshocked_yellowshocked_yellow
Our dear Kitten is Cheyenne!shocked_yellowshocked_yellow

Redwolf5150 - 15-2-2008 at 17:52

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
Quote:
Originally posted by the bear

Regards the Bear
shocked_yellowshocked_yellowshocked_yellow
Our dear Kitten is Cheyenne!shocked_yellowshocked_yellow

Wyoming is nowehere near either Minnessota or Wisconsin! It saddens me that you have such little knowledge of the geography of this great nation, scholar.

roffle <--laughing at his own sarcasm.

And the reason for the delay is the item is being shipped in on a company truck that has to stop at ANOTHER store first. Once it arrives in Rib Mountain (suburb of Wausau named after a mountain, natch) it has to be processed in with the rest of the items on said truck. Once it has been processed, they will be calling me, I take my receipt and pick it up.

kewl_glasses

LSemmens - 16-2-2008 at 10:40

Haven't you heard of FedEx, I hear that they are pretty good! nananana

victor - 16-2-2008 at 15:00

marymary100 - 16-2-2008 at 15:18

This had better live up to the hype!!!!

Redwolf5150 - 17-2-2008 at 02:50

A brand new, professional grade (or about as close as I'm gonna get for 2 more years) DIGITAL SINGLE LENS REFLEX CAMERA!

[bad img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/redwolf5150/40D.gif[/bad img]

Yup, that is a Canon 40D with 28-135mm image stabilizing lens. Along with all the other goodies that came with it (TWO manuals, three CDs of software, etc.)

I FINALLY have the camera with the capabilities to handle what I shoot without having to "jury-rig" solutions or not be able to shoot faster than 3 frames a second in sports, and then have to wait forever for the shots to write to the card after taking four shots in a row.

Now I have 6.5 frames a second, bigger files, a 20 shot buffer and almost instant writing to memory card.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going back to reading the instruction manual while Jackie gets ready to head to the club.

Got to give this thing it's "Baptism by Fire!"

I'll write the whole twisted tale of how Jackie pulled a miracle and got it for me today while I was shooting a wrestling tournament with my old camera and cussing and moaning about its limitations for the 100,000th time.

kewl_glasses

P.S. It isn't complete yet, either.

As soon as my state income tax comes in, the battery grip will be added to it.

THEN it will be complete.

(And my poor wallet depleted)

scholar - 17-2-2008 at 02:59

Congratulations, Jamie!dancingbanana_new.gifdancingbanana_new.gifdancingbanana_new.gifdancingbanana_new.gifdancingbanana_new.gifdancingbanana_new.gifdancingbanana_new.gif
I see it comes with a Starbucks. :D:D:D

I hope it gives you long and trouble-free service.

Redwolf5150 - 17-2-2008 at 03:04

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
Congratulations, Jamie!dancingbanana_new.gifdancingbanana_new.gifdancingbanana_new.gifdancingbanana_new.gifdancingbanana_new.gifdancingbanana_new.gifdancingbanana_new.gif
I see it comes with a Starbucks. :D:D:D

I hope it gives you long and trouble-free service.

I spent an extra $179 to make SURE it doesn't give me any trouble for four years.

Including if I *gasp* drop it!

I've never dropped a camera.

Lens, yes.

Lens with body attached, no.

Redwolf5150 - 17-2-2008 at 06:08

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!

Photoshop CS2 won't open the RAW files taken with this camera.

I'm gonna have to use the RAW converter that came with the camera until I can save up the $200 for the upgrade to CS3!

I HAD to think this would be seamless, didn't I?

angrymad2

SRD - 17-2-2008 at 08:42

Quote:
Originally posted by Redwolf5150

I'm gonna have to use the RAW converter that came with the camera until I can save up the $200 for the upgrade to CS3!

angrymad2
You might have a google for RAW converter plug ins and you might take a look at the Gimp (which is free) or Paint.net both of which have plug-ins, I know they're not as good as PS but you might get an adequate conversion that you can take to PS.

Quaver - 17-2-2008 at 12:00

Congratulations on your new camera!:clap)

Quote:
Originally posted by SRD
You might have a google for RAW converter plug ins and you might take a look at the Gimp (which is free) or Paint.net both of which have plug-ins, I know they're not as good as PS but you might get an adequate conversion that you can take to PS.

I'm sure some software came with the camera.

victor - 17-2-2008 at 12:38

Well worth the wait. :D

I'm green with envy. smokin:

LSemmens - 17-2-2008 at 12:55

Congratulations, Jamie. I had to look past all the software before I found the camera! With all that software, you're going to need a new computer just to load that lot..... or haven't you told Jackie that little piece of trivia yet?

the bear - 17-2-2008 at 13:36

Quote:
A brand new, professional grade (or about as close as I'm gonna get for 2 more years) DIGITAL SINGLE LENS REFLEX CAMERA!

[bad img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/redwolf5150/40D.gif[/bad img]

Yup, that is a Canon 40D with 28-135mm image stabilizing lens. Along with all the other goodies that came with it (TWO manuals, three CDs of software, etc.)

I FINALLY have the camera with the capabilities to handle what I shoot without having to "jury-rig" solutions or not be able to shoot faster than 3 frames a second in sports, and then have to wait forever for the shots to write to the card after taking four shots in a row.

Now I have 6.5 frames a second, bigger files, a 20 shot buffer and almost instant writing to memory card.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going back to reading the instruction manual while Jackie gets ready to head to the club.

Got to give this thing it's "Baptism by Fire!"

I'll write the whole twisted tale of how Jackie pulled a miracle and got it for me today while I was shooting a wrestling tournament with my old camera and cussing and moaning about its limitations for the 100,000th time.

kewl_glasses

P.S. It isn't complete yet, either.

As soon as my state income tax comes in, the battery grip will be added to it.

THEN it will be complete.

(And my poor wallet depleted)

Happy camering Jamie.

Regardes the Bear

Redwolf5150 - 17-2-2008 at 14:58

Quote:
Originally posted by SRD
Quote:

angrymad2

After my initial panic, I remembered that the Adobe Digital Negative (their suggestion to replace the various RAW format with one industry standard) plug-in is a free download and it supports the 40D. So I downloaded and it works like a charm.

I could have gone with the Digital Photo Professional software that came with the camera, but I would have to manually change the name of each file to get it to comform with my filing system. Pain in the a**e if you ask me.

With the DNG converter, I can change the name and download to my computer at the same time from the compact flash card.

I'll be archiving the RAW files to DVD for now, just to be safe.

kewl_glasses

Redwolf5150 - 17-2-2008 at 15:48

This thing is MADE for someone like me who likes to shoot drummers.

Here's the best shots of a sequence I took of a drummer last night. There were about twice as many shots, but some had cymbals in his face or some other problem.

Granted, I haven't done much work to them, and would probably only use one or two, but 6.5 frames for second and a flash that can keep up is gonna be FUN!

[bad img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/redwolf5150/Drummer1.gif[/bad img]

[bad img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/redwolf5150/Drummer2.gif[/bad img]

[bad img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/redwolf5150/Drummer3.gif[/bad img]

[bad img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/redwolf5150/Drummer4.gif[/bad img]

[bad img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/redwolf5150/Drummer5.gif[/bad img]

[bad img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/redwolf5150/Drummer6.gif[/bad img]

[bad img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/redwolf5150/Drummer7.gif[/bad img]

scholar - 17-2-2008 at 19:23

Enjoy yourself, Jamie. Savor it.

If you feel pulled toward wearing yourself out, getting every odd duck feature mastered in all the software, remember that you can take as long a time as you wish. If you are usually a little compulsive, a little perfectionistic--don't drive yourself crazy.greengrin greengrin greengrin greengrin

Redwolf5150 - 17-2-2008 at 20:57

I needed just 30 minutes with the instruction manual to learn what was different from my old Canon digital.

Things live the LiveView function and some other "extras" I probably won't use. But I always have the manual with me if I change my mind.

And don't let those three CDs fool you. Only ONE had software on it. One of the other two contains the MANUALS for those programs. The only one of those I'll probably ever use is an update of the one that came with my older camera and I know how to use it. The third CD contains info on all the accessories and lenses in the system.

I'll check that one out if I'm ever really bored and have nothing to do. Which means sometime probably in May.

I was so confident I could operate the camera I shot an assignment for the paper this afternoon with it. A sled dog race on the outskirts of town. Gave me a chance to test the thing's weather sealing shooting in the snow.

And, for the record, I dialed down the speed to an easier to manage 3 frames per second. I was getting three shots off before I could get my finger off the shutter release button.

Gonna take getting used to having blazing speed like I used to have with my old film cameras.

LSemmens - 19-2-2008 at 10:48

Out of curiosity, Jamie, will the lenses from you old film camera fit a digital SLR? Do digital SLR's allow you the same controls such as shutter speed and appeture? Can you get it to emulate different film speeds?

Redwolf5150 - 20-2-2008 at 07:34

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
Out of curiosity, Jamie, will the lenses from you old film camera fit a digital SLR? Do digital SLR's allow you the same controls such as shutter speed and appeture? Can you get it to emulate different film speeds?

All the five autofocus lenses I already own will fit on it. My OLD digital camera was a Canon DSLR. HOWEVER, none of my old FD lenses (non-autofocus) will NOT work on it without an adaptor.

Same controls and settings as an "Old School" film camera, including full manual (I set everything).

ISO goes from 50-3200 with the quality to match film at those same speeds.

And the files from this puppy OPEN coming out of DNG at normal settings at a whooping 11x14 at 240 DPI.

I can always upsize before it opens, of course.

Thing does everything but make me a decent cup of coffee.

LSemmens - 20-2-2008 at 13:35

Thanks mate! I understood all but a couple of your acronyms. "FD Lenses" and "DNG at normal"?

jennywren - 23-2-2008 at 16:19

As a keen amateur photographer,I can appreciate your excitement.I'm jealous as L.;)

scholar - 23-2-2008 at 19:40

I'm getting chills, thinking about how great it is to get something exciting and new, something that you can use quickly, something that will bring pleasure at home as well as having use for work.

The closest to that, for me, would probably be software with a number of expensive books on it. (I have actually fallen behind somewhat in mastering the technology of some of the things I already own. This is a reminder for me to push myself a little more.)

Redwolf5150 - 23-2-2008 at 21:30

We went into Wausau to buy a 500GB internal hard drive to put in my Rocketfish enclosure. My 320GB drive in my tower is to the bursting point and I want to move my images to an external drive as well as to DVD.

Screwed up and got a SATA drive when the enclosure will only take PATA.

Good thing I didn't open the box!

Back to Wausau we go.

I also have to get new memory cards to use in the new camera. I have 1 2gb and 3 1GB cards I used with the old camera. The 2gb card holds 140 RAW shots. I haven't depressed myself to put in a 1GB card yet.

It was either 2 8GB cards or the hard drive. The need for the hard drive is more pressing.

Be careful what you wish for, Scholar.

Sometimes new toy begets the need for additional new toys.

kewl_glasses

scholar - 23-2-2008 at 21:49

That's true.

I would liike to have a faster computer connection. But, if I did, I'd be downloading more stuff. Then, my hard drive would get overfull. Then, I'd need to spend money on more storage media. You know how it takes some effort to label and organize CDs--I'd probably want a big hard drive. And then, I'd want a faster computer to be able to run through all those files to find what I want.

I'd better stick with what I have, for now.

DeWitch - 25-2-2008 at 15:25

Beautiful camera Redwolf
CONGRATZ!!!
I have a Nikon D70, an old Sony Cybershot and an old Yashica with several lenses that I never use any more since getting the digitals.
The Nikon is a nice camera (not as nice as yours but nice and good enough for me since I am no pro) that my sweet Hubby surprised me with a few Xmases ago.
But for some reason I took better photos with the old Sony than I do with this newer/better camera.

Redwolf5150 - 25-2-2008 at 17:28

I have three Canon FD bodies (old school film cameras with manual focus lenses) and seven lenses for them collecting dust in storage. They will never be used again and two of the bodies are well used.

The last body might be good for a photography student and I might attempt to sell it and a couple lenses for that purpose.

I also have a 1957 vintage 4x5 press camera and six film holders for it along with a 220 roll film adaptor back. I still would consider using this camera for landscapes just because I can get HUGE enlargements made from it.

But the files from the 40D would be capable of almost as large of prints. It just lacks the flare and cache of hiding under a focusing cloth.

kewl_glasses