Karl`s PC Help Forums

Oh, the pure, unadulterated JOY OF IT ALL!!!!
Redwolf5150 - 18-1-2008 at 18:32

I finally had the time to install the Huey Pro monitor calibrator and software that Jackie got me for Christmas. (It arrived Monday after being on backorder from where Jackie got it).

I had been having trouble with my prints from both Wal-Mart and my pro lab as well as those I did on my photo printer at home being a tad on the dark side if I didn't set them where they looked "light" on my monitor.

Now I know why!

My monitor was set too dark!

It's gonna take some getting used to it looking "flat" to me, since the contrast was off too.

But I worked on an image in PhotoShop after calibrating the monitor. When I printed it out, the print matched the monitor exactly!

Oh, the joys of modern technology.

And a damn sight easier than when I had to do color densiometer readings when I did my own color printing.

kewl_glasses

scholar - 18-1-2008 at 18:42

Congratulations, Jamie.waveysmiley May it bring you many years of good service.waveysmileywaveysmiley

the bear - 18-1-2008 at 20:17

Quote:
Originally posted by Redwolf5150
I finally had the time to install the Huey Pro monitor calibrator and software that Jackie got me for Christmas. (It arrived Monday after being on backorder from where Jackie got it).

I had been having trouble with my prints from both Wal-Mart and my pro lab as well as those I did on my photo printer at home being a tad on the dark side if I didn't set them where they looked "light" on my monitor.

Now I know why!

My monitor was set too dark!

It's gonna take some getting used to it looking "flat" to me, since the contrast was off too.

But I worked on an image in PhotoShop after calibrating the monitor. When I printed it out, the print matched the monitor exactly!

Oh, the joys of modern technology.

And a damn sight easier than when I had to do color densiometer readings when I did my own color printing.

kewl_glasses

Jamie, enjoy waveysmiley

Regards the Bear

LSemmens - 19-1-2008 at 12:58

Layman speaking here.

If your prints were coming out too dark, and your monitor was showing them normal, would it not be simple enough to do a print run of several standard colours. And then adjust your monitor to look like the printed image. After adjusting try printing a more complex image?

I suspect that I've over simplified the issue here, so, can you please enlighten me? I am aware of requirements for publishing but have no knowledge of the specifics at all.

Redwolf5150 - 20-1-2008 at 19:54

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
Layman speaking here.

If your prints were coming out too dark, and your monitor was showing them normal, would it not be simple enough to do a print run of several standard colours. And then adjust your monitor to look like the printed image. After adjusting try printing a more complex image?

I suspect that I've over simplified the issue here, so, can you please enlighten me? I am aware of requirements for publishing but have no knowledge of the specifics at all.

Well, not only would this solution be very costly in the terms of paper and ink, but the results would also have to be duplicated at the two photo labs I do. It would all be very subjective, too.

The Huey does all this for me by reading a set of known color, black and white areas on the monitor and adjusting the monitor's output automatically. This after I adjusted the brightness and contrast so that a certain image matched what it was supposed to manually.

All this took less than 10 minutes effort.

Now the little thing sits on top of my monitor and automatically adjusts the monitor to changes in ambiant light in the room.

I have not had any photos published in the paper since calibrating the monitor, but I look forward to seeing if there is any improvement.

kewl_glasses

LSemmens - 21-1-2008 at 13:38

Thanks, Jamie, I was sure that there was a good explanation for it.

I've just wasted 1/2 hour trying to get two monitors to display the same colours, (They are side by side attached to the same Card - VGA & DVI) It's a lot harder than I thought.

Redwolf5150 - 21-1-2008 at 14:53

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
Thanks, Jamie, I was sure that there was a good explanation for it.

I've just wasted 1/2 hour trying to get two monitors to display the same colours, (They are side by side attached to the same Card - VGA & DVI) It's a lot harder than I thought.

You need a Huey Pro like mine.

They make a $89 Huey, but it won't control two monitors at the same time.

There is also the Spyder calibrator, but it does the same thing for a lot more money.

kewl_glasses

LSemmens - 21-1-2008 at 15:25

Thanks, mate! When graphic design or video/photo production becomes a source of income, I might just consider it, for now, it's just fun!

jennywren - 10-2-2008 at 16:02

I had to get a new monitor recently.My old one was showing everything very light.I printed a photo of my daughter and her husband and they looked like they had been "Tango-d".
My daughter gave me her old monitor which is fine(fingers crossed) at the moment.