Karl`s PC Help Forums

Can I check something?
janet - 4-11-2008 at 19:43

I can't speak for anyone else, but what I objected to in these long, last weeks has been the backbiting, smearing of candidates, not discussion of actual issues. (A point I made more than once, this isn't anything new).

Is *all* discussion of the US election banned?

I have to say that seems rather odd to me but of course I will abide by it, if that's the case.


Daz - 4-11-2008 at 19:54

Don't know the answer you're looking for, however, it's a very tough call, because it's become obvious during the US election threads that debating the subject is impossible in certain circumstances...


Dreamweaver - 4-11-2008 at 20:02

Quote:
Originally posted by janet
I can't speak for anyone else, but what I objected to in these long, last weeks has been the backbiting, smearing of candidates, not discussion of actual issues. (A point I made more than once, this isn't anything new).

Is *all* discussion of the US election banned?

I have to say that seems rather odd to me but of course I will abide by it, if that's the case.


http://www.karlsforums.com/forums/viewthread.php?tid=36895&page=1

I could allow one thread for discussion on USA Poiltics, oh but wait! We already tried that, it expanded to a forum which imploded with all the backbiting etc, and not only from the political posters.


janet - 4-11-2008 at 20:04

So that's a no?

Fair enough.


janet - 4-11-2008 at 20:08

Quote:
Originally posted by Daz
Don't know the answer you're looking for, however, it's a very tough call, because it's become obvious during the US election threads that debating the subject is impossible in certain circumstances...


Entirely so - but my points in those threads were never to mods to get the threads closed, but rather to posters to consider what was being posted.

However, I'll abide by what Dot says, obviously.


marymary100 - 4-11-2008 at 20:10

Quote:
Originally posted by janet
Quote:
Originally posted by Daz
Don't know the answer you're looking for, however, it's a very tough call, because it's become obvious during the US election threads that debating the subject is impossible in certain circumstances...


Entirely so - but my points in those threads were never to mods to get the threads closed, but rather to posters to consider what was being posted.

However, I'll abide by what Dot says, obviously.


As will we all.


Daz - 4-11-2008 at 21:13

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100


As will we all.


I've started a book, what odds do you want...? :D


victor - 4-11-2008 at 21:30

Quote:
Originally posted by Daz
Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100


As will we all.


I've started a book, what odds do you want...? :D


Can I have a tenner each way on Obama @100-1 ;):D


marymary100 - 4-11-2008 at 21:30

:D

What odds are you offering?


scholar - 4-11-2008 at 21:32

The removed threads were entitled USA Politics. There are aspects of the elections which are not politics. For example, I was thinking of posting a news story about a man who was shown on TV after voting, who said "I decided to come back and vote a couple times." He gave his NAME on CNN in Philadelphia.

I've also been reading of some poll watchers who have not been allowed close enough to monitor what is happening (that violates the law--poll watchers of each party are supposed to be able to keep an eye on things, so that everyone can be satisfied all the voting is on the up-and-up.


Dreamweaver - 4-11-2008 at 21:49

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
The removed threads were entitled USA Politics. There are aspects of the elections which are not politics.


The removed Forum was called USA Politics, I am sure you realise there where many different titled threads?? But even the "none serious" threads where getting out of hand too.


scholar - 4-11-2008 at 21:53

You are correct.

(Dot in teacher_mode)
I mentioned the Forum titles, not the thread titles.


marymary100 - 4-11-2008 at 21:56

Isn't your post breaking the ban scholar? "I was going to....." and giving us the details.

Daz won his bet so soon?


scholar - 4-11-2008 at 22:02

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
Isn't your post breaking the ban scholar? "I was going to....." and giving us the details.

Daz won his bet so soon?
But neither story is political (I am thinking of political in the sense of "partisan politics").

Neither party or candidate officially favors double voting or breaking the election monitor laws.


marymary100 - 4-11-2008 at 22:07

brshteeth

Cease and desist.


victor - 4-11-2008 at 23:10

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
brshteeth

Cease and desist.

Does that mean stop.:D


Daz - 4-11-2008 at 23:13

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100

Daz won his bet so soon?


Haha! Was it ever in question....? doffs_cap


marymary100 - 4-11-2008 at 23:28

There was "hope" that there might be a "change". :)


Daz - 4-11-2008 at 23:30

I think the "change" is happening elsewhere... ;)