Karl`s PC Help Forums

U2Us?
janet - 23-10-2008 at 07:38

I logged in today to find that the vast majority of my U2Us are gone.

If they've been culled, fair enough, but could I ask next time that there's some warning so they could be saved? (Was there warning, and I just missed it?)

Some were things I'd really rather have saved and can't be recreated :(


Dreamweaver - 23-10-2008 at 07:44

There was a thread here

http://www.karlsforums.com/forums/viewthread.php?tid=36640

But as Theravad did the prune over a week ago I cannot see how it's affected you only today.
As far as I know the prune was only for older threads, but I will ask Theravad's advice on it.....


janet - 23-10-2008 at 07:56

The thread is called database connection error - if you weren't reading it (and many are unlikely to do so with that title), there's no way you'd know about the pruning.

It almost certainl effected me when it was done, but I've not looked at my U2Us since then.

Please, in future, can there be a notice that it's going to happen, in a thread that says something obvious in the title?

Yes, some of the U2Us I've lost were well over a year old.... those are the ones that I really wanted to keep.


Dreamweaver - 23-10-2008 at 08:02

I offered the thread purely for reading, it wasn't a response.
I can't respond as I don't know the answer.

But as an aside, keeping u2u's for over a year without saving elsewhere does not sound very practical, for you or the forum database,


janet - 23-10-2008 at 08:33

Probably not, and I won't in future, but it still would have been nice to have been given the choice. Since pruning seemed to have stopped, it didn't occur to me to move them.


marymary100 - 23-10-2008 at 14:27

Why would people keep U2Us? Are you like my friend who keeps every e-mail I've ever sent him? :D


the bear - 23-10-2008 at 14:33

Some U2Us are very personal, and warrant keeping if only sentimental reasons.

As I understand it Theravad intends archive the pruned items.


Regards the Bear


marymary100 - 23-10-2008 at 14:35

OK, no-one on here ever speaks to me personally via U2U. I only get the gripes. lips_sealed


janet - 23-10-2008 at 14:37

Quote:
Originally posted by the bear
Some U2Us are very personal, and warrant keeping if only sentimental reasons.

As I understand it Theravad intends archive the pruned items.


Regards the Bear


That's it, precisely.


janet - 23-10-2008 at 14:37

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
OK, no-one on here ever speaks to me personally via U2U. I only get the gripes. lips_sealed


There were some I'd saved from people who aren't here anymore, and many of condolence on David's death.

I'm sorry those are gone, and would have archived them, given a chance.

Ah, well....


marymary100 - 23-10-2008 at 14:42

That I understand. I might have moved them over to a personal folder though, personally. Sorry if this has caused you sorrow.


Quaver - 23-10-2008 at 14:54

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
Why would people keep U2Us? Are you like my friend who keeps every e-mail I've ever sent him? :D

My dad always prints emails and archives them;)


the bear - 23-10-2008 at 14:58

I save emails, but also chat conversations from my sons, if I printed all of those I'd need a print ink tanker on stand by.


Regards the Bear


charles - 23-10-2008 at 15:11

Why didn't you print 'em out,simple as that


Quaver - 23-10-2008 at 15:14

Quote:
Originally posted by charles
Why didn't you print 'em out,simple as that

Do you print out all your U2Us?


janet - 23-10-2008 at 15:49

Quote:
Originally posted by charles
Why didn't you print 'em out,simple as that


Because I don't want to use up all that paper.

Because electronic information can and should be stored electronically.

And most importantly, because no one said that the pruning was about to happen.

It's not *that simple*, Charles - these things were very important to me and a callous response helps nothing.

Thanks to help from the mods, I should be able to get them back, though, for which I'm thankful.


giron - 23-10-2008 at 21:34

Quote:
Originally posted by janet


Thanks to help from the mods, I should be able to get them back, though, for which I'm thankful.


Just a moment!

What about the rest of us, what if we want ours back, as well?

Even if we didn't know that they'd been deleted, in the first place!

BTW, shut it charles, stop upsetting janet, or I'll have the bobbies on you! waggyfinger

waveysmiley;)

P.S don't mention the Sky Blues! lips_sealed


Dreamweaver - 23-10-2008 at 21:40

Quote:
Originally posted by giron

What about the rest of us, what if we want ours back, as well?

Even if we didn't know that they'd been deleted, in the first place!



waveysmiley;)


As me Mammy used to say "what you don't know won't hurt you!!" nananana


scholar - 23-10-2008 at 21:56

I, too, had some u2us that I kept here (I think that means on the KF server) because I considered it more reliable than my hard drive or my e-mail program. My e-mail file has over 1,400 items in it, so finding one special item out of so many is a challenging task.

Those from Karl and from Runrig were dear to me because of my love for them.

Some others were of value because they had special information in them--an email address, a postal address, an URL for a homepage they keep or another forum at which I can find them if necessary.

I would say the same as Janet, I would have sent them to my e-mail had I known they were about to be chopped, but it was a surprise.:(


Dreamweaver - 23-10-2008 at 22:03

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
I, too, had some u2us that I kept here (I think that means on the KF server) because I considered it more reliable than my hard drive or my e-mail program. My e-mail file has over 1,400 items in it, so finding one special item out of so many is a challenging task.

Those from Karl and from Runrig were dear to me because of my love for them.

Some others were of value because they had special information in them--an email address, a postal address, an URL for a homepage they keep or another forum at which I can find them if necessary.

I would say the same as Janet, I would have sent them to my e-mail had I known they were about to be chopped, but it was a surprise.:(


I seem to recollect you asking not so long ago how to save your u2u's to your e-mails Scholar, do I take it you didn't follow it through?
However I am sure Theravad can sort it out.


scholar - 23-10-2008 at 22:23

Over the years, I have saved some u2u messages to e-mails (usually, to get my total below 200, as I would delete the u2u after it was in my e-mail folder). However, most of those are hard for me to access, because I have had to start my e-mail program (which is provided by my ISP) at least three times after failures, and it starts a new e-mail record each time.

I have known how to send u2us to e-mail for quite some time, so I don't know if you are thinking of somebody else, or if your memory is so clear that a longer span to the past seems as if it were more recent.:)


LSemmens - 24-10-2008 at 10:26

If there were some things I wanted to ensure that I never lost, then, I'd have several copies: one online, one on my PC, one on my backup HDD, and another on CD. So far I've only needed my backups online and on CD once, and even then it was a pain in the you know what!

The prune was overdue, and for that, necessary. Owing to the circumstances surrounding the prune, it was unfortunate that no formal warning was given, but, again, necessary. From what I understand, and Dot or Simon (Theravard) can correct me if I am wrong. The U2U's will be archived, and should be able to be accessed if needed. (From what I understand, bribery and corruption will help. but I never said that! lips_sealed)


Theravad - 24-10-2008 at 14:59

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens


The prune was overdue, and for that, necessary. Owing to the circumstances surrounding the prune, it was unfortunate that no formal warning was given, but, again, necessary. From what I understand, and Dot or Simon (Theravard) can correct me if I am wrong. The U2U's will be archived, and should be able to be accessed if needed. (From what I understand, bribery and corruption will help. but I never said that! lips_sealed)


Well said.

Nothing has been lost.

All will be restored.

T


scholar - 24-10-2008 at 15:12

Quote:
Originally posted by Theravad
Nothing has been lost.

All will be restored.

T
Then I am well satisfied.kewl_glasses