Karl`s PC Help Forums

Sloooowww....
Daz - 28-6-2008 at 15:50

KF seems pretty slow again, is there more trouble with the Hosts/Server/DB...? This seems to be the only site I'm having trouble with...?

Just thought I'd mention it...

scholar - 28-6-2008 at 17:06

I've had trouble, too, even to the point of it timing out.

This is not a complaint, just an observation.;)

John Barnes - 28-6-2008 at 18:43

Yes even with a fast broadband connection its like wading through treacle waiting for pages to load it must be the traffic shaping by the servers , as you say its only on this site , jmb

Daz - 28-6-2008 at 20:44

Quote:
Originally posted by John Barnes
Yes even with a fast broadband connection its like wading through treacle waiting for pages to load it must be the traffic shaping by the servers , as you say its only on this site , jmb

Not sure about the traffic shaping John, doesn't that tend to be more a thing placed on individuals when their ISP's deem their usage too much, and therefore cap their speed...?

I'd be pretty miffed if my paid web host decided to cap my webspace and make it a P.I.T.A for it's users... Unless of course I was surpassing the bandwidth I'd signed up for, but even that is handled differently I believe...?

As mentioned above, at times it's like wading through treacle, (as I mentioned before I believe) however as also said, it's not a critisism of Dot and the crew, but it really does need looking at now, because it's off putting for regulars, so I wonder what it's like for the casuals, or the passing throughs...?

marymary100 - 28-6-2008 at 20:54

I had problems earlier. It seems alright now.

John Barnes - 28-6-2008 at 21:49

When a server gets over subscribed they limit the band width and direct the overburdened traffic using their servers in a priority line thus shaping the traffic on their network, this can cause long waits for pages to open especially as I say at busy times, remember this server caters for the American market as well its something similar with peer to peer I find the highest speeds when America is asleep and that's around 7 am to 1pm over here. i can get something like 750 kbps during these times whereas it drops down to around 100 when America is on-line. jmb

Daz - 28-6-2008 at 23:39

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
I had problems earlier. It seems alright now.

Yes, but it's happening most days really, at some point or another...

Daz - 28-6-2008 at 23:52

Quote:
Originally posted by John Barnes
When a server gets over subscribed they limit the band width and direct the overburdened traffic using their servers in a priority line thus shaping the traffic on their network, this can cause long waits for pages to open especially as I say at busy times, remember this server caters for the American market as well its something similar with peer to peer I find the highest speeds when America is asleep and that's around 7 am to 1pm over here. i can get something like 750 kbps during these times whereas it drops down to around 100 when America is on-line. jmb

That's all true John, but that's your connection speeds. That's what your ISP is doing...

I still think this is a host side/database problem myself.... When you pay a host to serve your site to people, they should be able to serve it to people properly. (Within reason, everybody can have a problem now and again, and providing you have got the right package for your sites needs.)

Maybe Dr John could chip in if he spots this, he's far more clued up than I am...

scholar - 29-6-2008 at 00:30

I'll chime in, so that someone with knowledge can either correct me or sharpen my understanding.

I have been told that there are commonly several computers involved in a web page communication. I think my computer communicates to one or more of my ISP's computers, which sends my request toward what I want, and the computer that grabs that request sends it further toward what I want, etc. (like runners passing the baton on a relay race), until the request reaches the server hosting the page I want; then the information is sent back, the same way. I heard one computer author say each part is broken into small information packets, sort of like post cards, and when you assemble them together you get the whole page (like tacking all the post cards on the wall, in order, to make a large picture).

Is that a good way to describe it?waveysmiley

Dreamweaver - 29-6-2008 at 01:57

I can say it isn't from our side that problems occur.
I, and Theravad have been watching bandwidth/database problems, deleting/resolving problems as they present themselves.

I can say here and now, I am a complete novice in these realms, but I/we are doing everything we can to resolve issues as they occur, hopefully you can bear with me/us as we try to resolve these problems.

I am really trying to get it resolved :(

And yes!! I am paying for this service provider.

Daz - 29-6-2008 at 07:38

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
I'll chime in, so that someone with knowledge can either correct me or sharpen my understanding.

I have been told that there are commonly several computers involved in a web page communication. I think my computer communicates to one or more of my ISP's computers, which sends my request toward what I want, and the computer that grabs that request sends it further toward what I want, etc. (like runners passing the baton on a relay race), until the request reaches the server hosting the page I want; then the information is sent back, the same way. I heard one computer author say each part is broken into small information packets, sort of like post cards, and when you assemble them together you get the whole page (like tacking all the post cards on the wall, in order, to make a large picture).

Is that a good way to describe it?waveysmiley

Yes, if you like, I believe that's correct... But when one user is using more space they are usually shifted to somewhere with more space, or their quota is improved.

However if the Host doesn't manage their side of things properly..... Well, you get the idea... ;)

Daz - 29-6-2008 at 07:45

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamweaver

I am not suggesting otherwise Dot, and I certainly didn't intend to cause any upset or imply anything untoward... Apologies if you've misunderstood any of my posts.

What I am saying is, if it's host causing the problems, they need a rocket up and their a**e, and if they don't respond to that, they need terminating.... Pain in the bum I know, but a reliable host is paramount to a site like this. (IMHO anyway)

SRD - 29-6-2008 at 08:03

I couldn't get in at all yesterday afternoon and evening.

Dreamweaver - 29-6-2008 at 08:10

Quote:
Originally posted by Daz
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamweaver

I am not suggesting otherwise Dot, and I certainly didn't intend to cause any upset or imply anything untoward... Apologies if you've misunderstood any of my posts.

What I am saying is, if it's host causing the problems, they need a rocket up and their a**e, and if they don't respond to that, they need terminating.... Pain in the bum I know, but a reliable host is paramount to a site like this. (IMHO anyway)

Good grief no Daz , I was only emphasing the fact I realised it was a poop service times :( Worded badly I realise now, apologies.flowers_kf

LSemmens - 30-6-2008 at 13:27

You know that you'll still have my support, Dot, pity I know nothing about web hosting or design!

Daz - 6-8-2008 at 20:55

Crawling again tonight...?

marymary100 - 6-8-2008 at 21:12

It is Daz. Another American hosted site was down at the same time. Maybe just coincidence, maybe not.

John Barnes - 6-8-2008 at 21:36

Taking ages to open up here as well i will leave it for tonight/jmb

Daz - 7-8-2008 at 00:29

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
It is Daz. Another American hosted site was down at the same time. Maybe just coincidence, maybe not.

Hmm, maybe. KF still with ImageLink then?

dux001 - 7-8-2008 at 05:32

Imagelink used to be a very good hosting company, and then 18 months ago they were sold to someone else.

The servers people were on at the time were shut down and everyone was migrated onto other servers which are not as good and are somewhat overcrowded.

There is not a lot you will be able to do other than find a better host. There are great hosting deals out there, and you could get a far better server for a very good price.

A decent host will also organise the migration, particularly if they also use cPanel.

You might get 24 hours of difficulties while the domain resolves to the new host, that's all.

There comes a time to bit the bullet and jump ship.

Katzy - 7-8-2008 at 11:30

If you try a tracert, you'll find that some of the US servers have been weird.

savvis.net in NY and Washington, particularly.

I wonder if the storms have contributed?

Daz - 7-8-2008 at 19:07

Quote:
Originally posted by Katzy
If you try a tracert, you'll find that some of the US servers have been weird.

savvis.net in NY and Washington, particularly.

I wonder if the storms have contributed?

Maybe true, but it could be a very convienient "get out" clause for ImageLink all the same...?

IMHO, It's been poor, on and off, for some time now... Which could I guess, tie in with Dux001's post...

Katzy - 7-8-2008 at 20:48

I had troubles a couple of months back, but it's been fine, for me, since then.

Apart from the other evening, of course.

LSemmens - 8-8-2008 at 13:03

I've not noticed any problems down here.