Karl`s PC Help Forums

One thread...?
janet - 21-4-2008 at 22:22

Would it be possible to have all the "global warming" threads merged into one, like the US election thread?

In essence, they all say the same thing and it's a bit tiresome to come in and find Today's posts full of the same thing, throughout a number of different threads.

Please?

giron - 21-4-2008 at 22:29

Are you suggesting that the person that started these particular threads should be given a jolly good birching and then be thrown into the cold showers? shocked_yellow

An excellent idea, in my humble opinion! waveysmiley

janet - 21-4-2008 at 22:46

No, I was making a serious suggestion.

the bear - 21-4-2008 at 23:52

I'm with you Janet, keeping the same topic posts all together can only result in a better debate

Regards the Bear

Redwolf5150 - 22-4-2008 at 00:06

That would narrow down Scholar's chances for a "Wasted Bandwidth of the Week" Award, however.

:D

Redwolf5150 - 22-4-2008 at 00:07

Quote:
Originally posted by janet
No, I was making a serious suggestion.

What's wrong with the birching in ADDITION to the consolidated thread?

roffle

the bear - 22-4-2008 at 06:43

Rather harsh

Regards the Bear

janet - 22-4-2008 at 07:11

Would it be possible to keep this on topic till one of the mods responds?

SRD - 22-4-2008 at 07:21

Surely not nananana

Dreamweaver - 22-4-2008 at 09:19

I can't merge them into one, the time/date stamp on posts would make the thread intelligable.
However you could ask members to post under one topic, perhaps even start a thread as such.

LSemmens - 22-4-2008 at 11:55

I think that DW's suggestion is valid. If, however we started to say "you must only post about this subject in this thread and that subject, there. I think we'd lose some of the dynamic that is KarlsForums. I agree, that the same topic, rehashed does get tiresome, but then, if we consolidated them all, RW would need to find another job for his monkey!

scholar - 22-4-2008 at 14:04

Quote:
Would it be possible to have all the "global warming" threads merged into one, like the US election thread?

In essence, they all say the same thing
That's just not true. Of the last six:
1--A challenge to the IPCC to show that temperatures do conform to the greenhouse gas/global warming model
2--A TV news/media pioneer says global warming will cause crops to fail and reduce us to cannibalism in 30-40 years
3--An observation that the harsh, cold, excessive-snow winter has continued even into April (and a rant against Al Gore)
4--Reports that the ocean temperatures at various levels, as recorded by robotic sensors, show the planet is cooling.
5--The observation that various bodies in our solar system showed a warming trend at the same time as the Earth
6--Statistical analysis of solar activity did not show the corresponding difference in cloud cover that some scientists expected would be necessary to support a cosmic ray theory for climate variation.

One (#2) accepts the greenhouse gas model, and another (#6) attacks a model competing with it. #1 challenges the GHG model, but the outcome of the challenge will not be known unless the IPCC responds. #3 and #4 both have to do with climate observations--temperature and snow--which are argued to contradict the GHG model, but which any climate model must consider. #5 considers other bodies in the solar system--planets and moons--adding a dimension completely outside everything considered on thie Earth.

No, they do not say the same thing. The advocates therein support different positions. They do not all even focus on the same planet!

Redwolf5150 - 22-4-2008 at 15:18

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
I think that DW's suggestion is valid. If, however we started to say "you must only post about this subject in this thread and that subject, there. I think we'd lose some of the dynamic that is KarlsForums. I agree, that the same topic, rehashed does get tiresome, but then, if we consolidated them all, RW would need to find another job for his monkey!

Oh there is plenty for that overtime loving little banana daiquiri swilling bum to do as it is.

:D

janet - 22-4-2008 at 17:14

Scholar, would you mind posting them all in the same thread? This is a request from another member, rather than a demand from one of the mods.

TooCute4Words - 22-4-2008 at 20:38

My opinion is,

If a long-standing member chooses to show interest in a subject, ie: Global Warming then I can't see a problem in starting threads about it.

It is a VERY important subject and our future generations may indeed need to realise that every attempt to hault or slow down the effects of global warming is important - hence there being so many new articles on the subject. Also, different angles on dealing with it and also varying opinions on the subject from politicians and scientists etc.. etc..

SO..it needs addressing!

I must admit that if I wasn't interested, I would just ignore the threads and post in other threads that interest in me - or start some (even if a monkey appears - from time to time rolls_eyes) as I've noticed.....:(

It is better to ignore a thread or threads you don't wish to partake in - rather than complain about it.

I am not crazy about discussing the subject of Global Warming personally, but I appreciate someone making the effort to inform us of what is happening.

It's a warning to all :)

End of speech.....;)

janet - 22-4-2008 at 20:42

Ah - so one long standing member's view is more important than another (longer standing) member's? Good to know.

I wasn't complaining about the threads.

I was asking that rather than having many threads, we have one thread in which the discussion can continue.

Oddly enough, I know about posting other threads - if you bother to look back through the archives, you will see me suggesting the same thing for a number of years here.

However, not everyone has time to post a lot of threads all the time. My job takes me away from home fairly frequently and keeps me rather busy. I post what I can. I really don't need a lesson on how to use the forums, thanks all the same.

TooCute4Words - 22-4-2008 at 20:43

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
I think that DW's suggestion is valid. If, however we started to say "you must only post about this subject in this thread and that subject, there. I think we'd lose some of the dynamic that is KarlsForums.

Also, a member might start an Avril section ;) and someone else Australian might start a (I'm a secret Kylie fan) section ;):D:P:P who knows where it may end shocked_yellow

Quote:
I agree, that the same topic, rehashed does get tiresome, but then, if we consolidated them all, RW would need to find another job for his monkey!

I could say what he could do with his monkey - but I won't lips_sealedlips_sealed

TooCute4Words - 22-4-2008 at 20:50

Quote:
Ah - so one long standing member's view is more important than another (longer standing) member's? Good to know.

I wasn't complaining about the threads.

I was asking that rather than having many threads, we have one thread in which the discussion can continue.

Oddly enough, I know about posting other threads - if you bother to look back through the archives, you will see me suggesting the same thing for a number of years here.

However, not everyone has time to post a lot of threads all the time. My job takes me away from home fairly frequently and keeps me rather busy. I post what I can. I really don't need a lesson on how to use the forums, thanks all the same.

I'm not giving you a lesson in how to use the forums. I wouldn't dare to do that. I only gave my opinion and looking at my reply to LSemmens above (even though I'm adding a bit of humour) you can read between the lines.

Basically, if you open up one section for 'Global Warming', then it is possible that other sections could appear for other subjects which get talked about at length. Like Firearms for instance ;)

Anyway, I just gave my opinion. It is upto Dreamweaver and her moderator team to make the final decision anyway, or 'scholar' may decide to do as you suggest - or not?

giron - 22-4-2008 at 20:55

Quote:
Originally posted by TooCute4Words
My opinion is,

If a long-standing member chooses to show interest in a subject, ie: Global Warming then I can't see a problem in starting threads about it.

Does the same principle apply if a member chooses to show an interest in birching, corporal punishment and red wigs? shocked_yellow

Not that anyone is likely to be interested in such things, of course. waveysmiley

TooCute4Words - 22-4-2008 at 20:58

Quote:
Originally posted by giron
Quote:
My opinion is,

Does the same principle apply if a member chooses to show an interest in birching, corporal punishment and red wigs? shocked_yellow

Not that anyone is likely to be interested in such things, of course. waveysmiley

No it's one rule for one and another rule for 'giron' ;);):D:D

Only joking.....nananana

giron - 22-4-2008 at 21:05

What an excellent rule that is! :D

marymary100 - 22-4-2008 at 21:27

Variety is the spice of life, isn't it TC4W?

giron - 22-4-2008 at 21:36

Hurry up and post a reply, TC4W, otherwise you risk getting a jolly good tawsing!

[bad img]http://www.comicguide.net/images/smilies/peitsche.gif[/bad img]

TooCute4Words - 22-4-2008 at 21:37

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
Variety is the spice of life, isn't it TC4W?

It is indeed :D

A variety of 'Global Warming threads' to keep us warm on a cold winters night :)brshteeth

TooCute4Words - 22-4-2008 at 21:40

Quote:

[bad img]http://www.comicguide.net/images/smilies/peitsche.gif[/bad img]

I don't know waggyfinger

all them smileys Dreamweaver has provided for us and you have to add a different one.

and where did you steal your avatar from roffle

giron - 22-4-2008 at 21:47

Quote:

I didn't steal it, I got it from a legitimate source. ;)

If you make any more disgraceful remarks, I'll report you to the bobbies! waggyfinger

waveysmiley

TooCute4Words - 22-4-2008 at 22:07

Quote:
Quote:

I didn't steal it, I got it from a legitimate source. ;)

If you make any more disgraceful remarks, I'll report you to the bobbies! waggyfinger

waveysmiley

Hmmmmm :cool:

What about your sixth post in this Thread ;)

LSemmens - 23-4-2008 at 12:41

Personally, this thread is far more interesting than Global Warming anyway! As for your defence of the many "varied" aspects of the debate, Scholar, in reality, they are all variations on a theme, like the political thread. It's all he says this and she says that, while they don't believe either and propose the other, then there's the Ostrich who couldn't care a fig about the other stuff and just sticks his head in the sand.