Karl`s PC Help Forums

Could we have a politics forum?
janet - 7-2-2008 at 22:20

Or something that would group all the US election posts together? Perhaps they could all go in one thread or something?

Dreamweaver - 7-2-2008 at 22:26

How long is it to the election? I suspect they will taper off by then.

marymary100 - 7-2-2008 at 22:27

I don't think they will......................

the bear - 7-2-2008 at 22:35

Perhaps political issues could be chewed over in the Late Night Club, then it wouldnt matter how long the Presidental Elections run for or whatever side issues follow on. Come on in, pull up a chair, sit awhile.

Regards the Bear

Dreamweaver - 7-2-2008 at 22:37

Quote:
Originally posted by the bear
Perhaps political issues could be chewed over in the Late Night Club, then it wouldnt matter how long the Presidental Elections run for or whatever side issues follow on. Come on in, pull up a chair, sit awhile.

Regards the Bear

Would you want a polital debate whilst relaxing with friends?

marymary100 - 7-2-2008 at 22:38

Depends on the friends.................:D

the bear - 7-2-2008 at 22:40

Friends? We could try for Civilised, failing that there's plenty of room out back!!!

Regards the Bear

janet - 7-2-2008 at 23:02

It's late night club UK, isn't it?

These aren't UK elections....

It's just that they seem to be taking over the board... yes, I know we could all post more but at least if they were corralled into one place they'd be... well, all in one place?

SRD - 7-2-2008 at 23:06

Quote:
Originally posted by janet
Or something that would group all the US election posts together? Perhaps they could all go in one thread or something?
Do you not have a trash can? :D

Actually I quite like hearing the views of Americans who haven't been picked by Auntie.

marymary100 - 7-2-2008 at 23:06

Religion/Politics in one forum perhaps as that is where the most heated debates occur?

janet - 7-2-2008 at 23:14

Well, actually, one thread was what I was really thinking of - looking at the today's post page, one sees more threads about US politics than anything else...

Dreamweaver - 8-2-2008 at 00:27

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
Religion/Politics in one forum perhaps as that is where the most heated debates occur?

But where would that leave the discussion forum?

Daz - 8-2-2008 at 00:37

Quote:
Well, actually, one thread was what I was really thinking of - looking at the today's post page, one sees more threads about US politics than anything else...

That would make most sense, and I share Janet's frustrations (?) but I suspect it'd just mean more work for Admin/Mods... And would need constant policing..?

marymary100 - 8-2-2008 at 01:11

unless it required a password................:D

the bear - 8-2-2008 at 01:24

Another password?

Regards the Bear

marymary100 - 8-2-2008 at 01:25

waveysmiley

;)

scholar - 8-2-2008 at 01:39

It doesn't seem to me that there are so very many posts in the Discussion Forum, that there is not room for the political posts. Not a single new topic thread there was started on January 28, 30, 31 or February 1, 3, or 4.

For my part, I plan to indicate the content of the start of a political post plainly enough. (For example, "Reports say Romney is suspending his campaign" is clearly politics; I didn't use a title like "Guess what is happening now.";)) Anyone not interested in the political posts can easily skip them.

I am inclined to promote fewer fora, not more. As it is, the Arts, Parent, and Trivia fora don't get many posts.

Of course, this is just a personal preference.:)

Redwolf5150 - 8-2-2008 at 01:39

I say roll it into the religion room.

That way I don't have to look at them if I don't want to.

I get enough B.S. from politicians at work.

Don't want to be subjected to a ton of it here in my leasure time.

kewl_glasses

the bear - 8-2-2008 at 07:08

Quote:
Originally posted by Redwolf5150
I say roll it into the religion room.

That way I don't have to look at them if I don't want to.

I get enough B.S. from politicians at work.

Don't want to be subjected to a ton of it here in my leasure time.

kewl_glasses

Politics?

Its hardly a religion although some people treat it as such.

I dont think its very spiritual.

I certainly isnt ethical.

So RSE could hardly be considered the right room.

Anybody any suggestions.

Regards the Bear

SRD - 8-2-2008 at 08:16

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
It doesn't seem to me that there are so very many posts in the Discussion Forum, that there is not room for the political posts. Not a single new topic thread there was started on January 28, 30, 31 or February 1, 3, or 4.

For my part, I plan to indicate the content of the start of a political post plainly enough. (For example, "Reports say Romney is suspending his campaign" is clearly politics; I didn't use a title like "Guess what is happening now.";)) Anyone not interested in the political posts can easily skip them.

I am inclined to promote fewer fora, not more. As it is, the Arts, Parent, and Trivia fora don't get many posts.

It only goes to show how little exploring I've done, I didn't know there was an arts forum.

janet - 8-2-2008 at 09:00

Quote:

To be honest? From my POV, there's little posting in the discussion forum because I log on, look at today's posts, see thread after thread after thread about the US elections, and just wander away again.

I realise these are fascinating to you, but not to me and I suspect not to many of us living here.

If they were all - or even mainly - in one thread that said "US elections", then they'd still show on the today's post page every time the thread gets updated - and we've found before that page is the main way people access the forums.

I could be wrong but I suspect that if all the US politics stuff went into one or two threads, there would be more postings - I'd certainly be more inclined to spend more time here again.

Others may have different views, of course...

Swish Checkley - 8-2-2008 at 09:01

The Trivia forum would get more traffic if people posted jokes there instead of in general chat.
As for politics, I don't really care where it goes as long as it's clearly marked so I can avoid it. :cool:

SRD - 8-2-2008 at 09:37

I understand a want to avoid certain aspects of everyday life, but I think politics is so deeply embedded in everything we experience and everything we do that to banish it to a separate forum would not be the correct thing. However, to keep posting new threads, on the slightest detail, may be a little OTT, maybe those that are interested in the elections could keep their postings to a few threads with a common theme rather than opening a new one each time a new result comes in or a new scandal arises.

marymary100 - 8-2-2008 at 10:35

Life is all about variety.

There is a danger that if a board is flooded with threads all basically about one topic that casual observers will be turned off and not come back.

You would turn your friends away if you only had one topic of conversation, wouldn't you?

Daz - 8-2-2008 at 11:49

Quote:
You would turn your friends away if you only had one topic of conversation, wouldn't you?

Ah! That's where I've been going wrong then, eh? drop_down ;)

Daz - 8-2-2008 at 11:58

Quote:
To be honest? From my POV, there's little posting in the discussion forum because I log on, look at today's posts, see thread after thread after thread about the US elections, and just wander away again.

If they were all - or even mainly - in one thread that said "US elections", then they'd still show on the today's post page every time the thread gets updated - and we've found before that page is the main way people access the forums.

I could be wrong but I suspect that if all the US politics stuff went into one or two threads, there would be more postings - I'd certainly be more inclined to spend more time here again.

Others may have different views, of course...

No, I agree completely with what you say.

For me the best solution would be to merge said US Elections threads under one obvious descriptive title, and then respectfully ask that all future posts regarding the subject be kept in there...

Other than that I see no better solution.

marymary100 - 8-2-2008 at 13:29

Quote:
Originally posted by Daz
Quote:

I couldn't possibly comment...... ;)

LSemmens - 8-2-2008 at 14:22

Maybe the politics could be posted in the Trivia forum! That's what politics is, isn't it.

Daz - 8-2-2008 at 15:23

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Daz
Quote:

I couldn't possibly comment...... ;)

I think you just have...! :P ;)

Dreamweaver - 8-2-2008 at 17:08

OK the problem with merging the threads is that the posts would all appear in time stamp order and not as each individual thread below each other( if you see what I mean).

So that thought is out.

What I can do is start a thread called " US Elections" and any urge to post about them can be posted in there.

How does that sound?
I really don't think politics should have it's own forum as we already have a wide variety of other fora to cover it.

marymary100 - 8-2-2008 at 17:11

US Elections would certainly cover it and allow those who object a clear indication of how to avoid the continuing saga.

scholar - 8-2-2008 at 17:20

Quote:
Originally posted by SRD
It only goes to show how little exploring I've done, I didn't know there was an arts forum.

This link
http://www.karlsforums.com/forums/index.php
takes you to the page that lists all the fora. (One gets it by clicking on the Karlsforums sign.) :)

Dreamweaver - 8-2-2008 at 17:32

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by SRD

This link
http://www.karlsforums.com/forums/index.php
takes you to the page that lists all the fora. (One gets it by clicking on the Karlsforums sign.) :)

You may well be accused of teaching your Grandma to suck eggs here Scholar lol.:P

victor - 8-2-2008 at 19:13

How about "US Elections" then sticky it until they are over.

LSemmens - 9-2-2008 at 10:33

How many more years until that?

janet - 9-2-2008 at 13:04

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamweaver
OK the problem with merging the threads is that the posts would all appear in time stamp order and not as each individual thread below each other( if you see what I mean).

So that thought is out.

What I can do is start a thread called " US Elections" and any urge to post about them can be posted in there.

How does that sound?
I really don't think politics should have it's own forum as we already have a wide variety of other fora to cover it.

Thank you, yes, that'd be great!