Karl`s PC Help Forums

I'm sure some here have been through this
scholar - 20-11-2016 at 01:39

It appears that I may soon lose the e-mail address I have had since I first got internet access. It is associated with a particular ISP, juno, and juno has announced it is going to improve its service (which, presumably, means it is buying new equipment) and will be charging more to its subscribers. I have not used it as an ISP for some years, and e-mailed them some months back that I want to go to their free service, which is e-mail only.

With the announcement that they are increasing what they charge, I do not know if they will still have a free e-mail service.

I'm guessing someone here, and perhaps several people, can advise me if there is an easy way for me to handle this. I have established a gmail account, but my Paypal account, my Amazon account, and everything else I've signed up for over the years (including Karlsforums) has my juno email on file. If it shuts down before I get all my listings switched to gmail, I fear that some of them will send a message to the juno e-mail asking me if I am really giving my permission for the change, and I won't be able to get the request for confirmation, nor will I be able to send from my long-time address.

I have used Thunderbird to copy all the e-mails I have gotten for the last several months. Thousands of e-mails that had accumulated over the last several years were somehow deleted before I had Thunderbird installed and working (I suspect I somehow deleted them by mistake).

Is there a program to speed up notifications, or must I do it one by one?

I'm guessing that I could send a change-of-address notification to everyone in my address book. But, I suspect that accounts like Paypal or Amazon need individual forms filled out.

Who among us has been through this? Will I need hours to set everything right?

Nimuae - 20-11-2016 at 07:44

With Amazon, at least, it is easy - log into your account - go to your profile - and change your email address there. Can't answer for PayPal - never use it.

LSemmens - 20-11-2016 at 10:44

'Tis why I never use my ISP addy for anything that I do not want to lose. I almost use it as a throw away account. Unfortunately, Scholar, you are going to have to do it all one at a time. Have fun!

John_Little - 20-11-2016 at 10:51

I've still got my "Lineone" address. That was the first home internet connection back in the 90s and was achieved via the old 56k modem. What a joy that was. I can still sing the tune now.

I don't know if its a particularly UK thing, but I think the people that took lineone over (Tiscali then Talk Talk) had an obligation to keep these email addresses going. Cant think of any other reason it still works.

Mind you, although I can still send and receive emails, I cant change my details because it wont recognise my account log in details because I don't actually have a Talk Talk account. I was always dial-up but Lineone allowed you to dial up from anywhere provided you called their number.

Those were the days.

Katzy - 21-11-2016 at 10:29

Funny, that. LineOne were my first ISP, too, back in... oh, was it...? '99? Somewhere about then. Pity they sold out, coz they were a good company, something Tiscali definitely weren't. After they took over, we switched to Pipex. They were damned good, too. Not too long after... Guess what? Tiscali took them over, too, with the usual cock-ups they were so good at...

Talktalk are way better than Tskali ever were, I'll give them that.

John_Little - 21-11-2016 at 14:22

That's why I'm here. And at Salem's Lot. The old lineone/Tiscali/Talk Talk forums.

Started off in webhelp. Found "Chat" quite by chance then all the others. Specially the book forum where Shiraz ruled rather than the other one.

scholar - 24-11-2016 at 21:30

I've had the thought that it might be easier for me to start new accounts with my new e-mail address, if I don't need continuity.

So far, juno is still working.

scholar - 24-11-2016 at 21:37

kewl_glassesI just put my new e-mail address into my KF profile. So, one down. . . .kewl_glasses:D

John_Little - 25-11-2016 at 10:01

I changed my email address when my laptop got stolen. I changed all my passwords and changed my email address on all the places I use on line to stop anyone changing anything back because they always send a confirmation email after changing stuff.

It wasn't painful. But then I did keep my old lineone address going and still get the occasional email at that address. People do it all the time, Scholar.

LSemmens - 27-11-2016 at 02:24

As a thought. I'd also keep a record of what sign ins, passwords etc that you have for all accounts so that you know what needs to be changed down the road, should you ever need to again.